IGNORED

Ring Fit Adventure (it's good)

I guess you guys aren't the athletic type because I searched for "Ring Fit Adventure" in this subforum and got a grand total of exactly one hit from someone who said they should play it more. 😆

But real talk though, anyone else here play this game and just never post about it? I vaguely remember the game selling out in stores and online when it came out as people flocked to it, though a few days to a week after its release I was able to find one (a few of them actually) at the local Walmart no problem. I slept on pretty much every single other "video game + fitness" title that's ever been released in the history of gaming but I bought into Ring Fit because the combination of resistance training and cardio seemed like it might actually help someone with physical fitness and perhaps get in shape.

I really got into this game! I couldn't play it too much when I was first starting out because I wasn't really all that in shape but after a few weeks I'd play this game for 90-120 minutes at a time and blast through all the levels and challenges. Not only did I beat the game, I beat it on New Game+ and New Game++. Once I had beaten the game three times over I started grinding out all of the specific exercises so I could obtain all of the unique player titles. While doing that I also grinded for money and bought every single piece of clothing for both the male and female characters and eventually maxed out most of the smoothie ingredients at 99. I also completed the skill tree, though that's a given since I played through the game three times in full. I managed to reach player level 700, though once I started using custom workouts in the game's Custom Mode it stopped giving me experience points so my level stopped going up. I am certain if you earned XP in Custom Mode I'd be close to or possibly over level 1,000.

Anyways I managed to lose about 25 pounds playing the game three times a week for about 2 hours each time. The little calorie counter on the screen estimated about 450-550 calories burned each session though I don't know how accurate that is. I eventually put the game down though and I haven't touched it for a couple years. In that time medication adjustments and me admittedly eating foods/meals of convenience put the weight back on so I dusted off the ring set and fired it back up again tonight. I am definitely out of shape again! Where I used to manage three complete run throughs of my old custom workout sets this time I could only do one, so I definitely need to get acclimated to doing it again. Hopefully by April I'll be back on my game though.

You can still find Ring Fit Adventure in places like Walmart today four years after its release. It seems to be one of Nintendo's "evergreen" games on the Switch even if it's not a high seller.

Here's Dragaux, the main antagonist of the game. I get the impression Nintendo tried to make him as incompatible as possible with furry culture because while he has a nice bod (he has to, he works out all the time) they gave him a weird head that looks like a cross between a Muppet and Toothless the dragon. Also he is apparently sexless, lmao. That still didn't stop people from perving on him though.

RFA_Sup.thumb.jpg.e30b2bbc63d585ef7a038b6423bc27d3.jpg

I just never cared to post about it.  I had it for like half a year maybe and I would use it almost every evening late before getting cleaned up for bed.  It could get fairly intense for sure depending what you did, and it really does vary what motions you have to do too.  It just after awhile got repetitive in a bad way for me that I started to lose interest, and some stuff was pretty timing specific in an event or something or two (I forget now really been a couple years.)  I detest timing stuff I can't hear or feel that without obvious visual queues say like Guitaroo Man had, so crap like their Rhythm heaven disgusts me as it's impossible.  It was handy at the time, sometimes I think I'd rather go back to it but with like Hokuto no Ken for the boxing thing as I think it would be more entertaining.  These days working 2 jobs and the second being blue collar and physical with weights anywhere from box at the low end of 5lbs up to a container over 60lb I get what I need since it's over a 6-7hr spread 3x a week.

Never did go your length of time maybe 30min or so to hit the daily goals, hadn't the time or ability to go 2hrs on that, no shot at all.

Never was much into exercise games. Imo once you take a game idea and turn it into an exercise thing, the obligation of it turns it from fun game into work.

I do like the aspect of exercise in games (part of Wii massive success was working exercise into games, without making games about exercise) but interest definitely waned, so while one of the top selling consoles of all time, Wii had one of the poorest attachment rates of all time. Its a great idea, exercise in games, but people don't want it in every game. Switch seems to have hit the perfect medium in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this back in December but haven't fired it up yet. Definitely going to give it attempt soon, as quality health has not been a strong suit of mine lately. I should also bust out Wii Fit U while I'm at it just to mix things up.