IGNORED

VCS System Software Update (March 2024)

Atari_JaguarVCS

Just a heads up that there's another new firmware update out for the Atari VCS 800 today. I have no idea yet what has been added but it was mentioned on Discord its more under the hood type fixes for the OS which is always welcome 🙂. I've just got done installing the update on a few of my Atari VCS's and absolutely no issues when updating. 

Ok I've noticed when holding down the Fuji button to exit a game that the menu has been overhauled in the update and show's the session time for whatever game your playing which is pretty neat if you ask me! There's also an icon in the same menu showing your internet connection type at the top right hand side of the screen, so in my case it showed an Ethernet icon, guessing for WiFi it'll be some signal bars.

Edited by Atari_JaguarVCS

4 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Just a heads up that there's another new firmware update out for the Atari VCS 800 today. I have no idea yet what has been added but it was mentioned on Discord its more under the hood type fixes for the OS which is always welcome 🙂. I've just got done installing the update on a few of my Atari VCS's and absolutely no issues when updating. 

Ok I've noticed when holding down the Fuji button to exit a game that the menu has been overhauled in the update and show's the session time for whatever game your playing which is pretty neat if you ask me! There's also an icon in the same menu showing your internet connection type at the top right hand side of the screen, so in my case it showed an Ethernet icon, guessing for WiFi it'll be some signal bars.

I think part of the update was to make it easier for them to do sales on games.  For the user, they should be able to see clearly what games are on offer for a lower price.

I've got three VCSs and never had update problems that were not of my own making.  There was someone on the Discord a while back advising people to just keep pulling the power over and over - terrible advice, something that should never be done on a Linux system as it risks corruption of the filesystem and OS.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

I've got three VCSs and never had update problems that were not of my own making.  There was someone on the Discord a while back advising people to just keep pulling the power over and over - terrible advice, something that should never be done on a Linux system as it risks corruption of the filesystem and OS.

Firstly, I agree with you that advising people to pull the power cord when the update hits the second stage to stop the update cycle is questionable advice whether the OS is Linux, Windows, or MAC. However, I can only hope that Atari had determined that at this moment in the process there was no write operation taking place; so it was safe to do so. I say this because of the sheer number of people that found the advice to bring a successful outcome. I still agree, however, that such a procedure can be ripe with the potential for problems, if the process is interrupted at the wrong time.

Secondly, let's not conflate the later update cycle issue with the original out of box experience. You may not have intended to do this, but for clarification I wish to emphasize that those are two separate issues. As a former Comptia A+ certified PC tech, I can tell you that the "bought new out of the box" update issue, which required a manual flash of the OS to fix, was not the fault of the users. Atari knows this to be true and this fact is the very reason they have been trying to ultimately fix this with a patch update. This failure occurs/occurred simply as a result of turning the VCS on; allowing it to attempt an update, and then waiting for the OS to refuse to accept your credentials or create a new account. In other words, the failure occurs without any faulty input from the user whatsoever. So while I appreciate that you believe any update issues you personally experienced were of your own making, I can assure that your expressed experience does not invalidate the vast majority experience and frustration of others. Atari support has admitted the problem is theirs.

Finally, I do agree with the implication that inexperienced (novice) users can indeed create all manner of problems for themselves during firmware/OS updates or in just using computers in general. Ask me how I know. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aragorn7 said:

Firstly, I agree with you that advising people to pull the power cord when the update hits the second stage to stop the update cycle is questionable advice whether the OS is Linux, Windows, or MAC. However, I can only hope that Atari had determined that at this moment in the process there was no write operation taking place; so it was safe to do so. I say this because of the sheer number of people that found the advice to bring a successful outcome. I still agree, however, that such a procedure can be ripe with the potential for problems, if the process is interrupted at the wrong time.

Secondly, let's not conflate the later update cycle issue with the original out of box experience. You may not have intended to do this, but for clarification I wish to emphasize that those are two separate issues. As a former Comptia A+ certified PC tech, I can tell you that the "bought new out of the box" update issue, which required a manual flash of the OS to fix, was not the fault of the users. Atari knows this to be true and this fact is the very reason they have been trying to ultimately fix this with a patch update. This failure occurs/occurred simply as a result of turning the VCS on; allowing it to attempt an update, and then waiting for the OS to refuse to accept your credentials or create a new account. In other words, the failure occurs without any faulty input from the user whatsoever. So while I appreciate that you believe any update issues you personally experienced were of your own making, I can assure that your expressed experience does not invalidate the vast majority experience and frustration of others. Atari support has admitted the problem is theirs.

Finally, I do agree with the implication that inexperienced (novice) users can indeed create all manner of problems for themselves during firmware/OS updates or in just using computers in general. Ask me how I know. 😀

Oh I know ;-) I've been a computer engineer for over 35 years and a Linux dev since it began with a background in mainframes and UNIX.

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:58 AM, Aragorn7 said:

I can tell you that the "bought new out of the box" update issue, which required a manual flash of the OS to fix, was not the fault of the users.

This failure occurs/occurred simply as a result of turning the VCS on;

Funny- I've bought FIVE VCS- still have 3 myself, collector, walnut and onyx- and gave 2 to family as gifts.   NONE of them have ever had any problems updating.

PEBCAK error.

5 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Funny- I've bought FIVE VCS- still have 3 myself, collector, walnut and onyx- and gave 2 to family as gifts.   NONE of them have ever had any problems updating.

PEBCAK error.

Yes, PEBCAK error is alive and well. No arguments here. Much of my living was made from mistakes others made on their own computers; so for me user error should always be considered a contributing factor in at least some cases.

However, I generally find it curious when we make broad rigid statements like, "I didn't have a problem. If others are having a problem, they're the problem." This type of thinking fails or refuses to consider other possible data/variables that may contribute to a particular outcome. We (and I definitely include myself) should try to avoid jumping to such conclusions. My own experience is not the sole litmus test. In my professional past a number of my clients would experience one of Microsoft's infamous updates that would cause an update loop or other issue. Microsoft would make an announcement and inform us to exclude the update and wait for a new one. Not everyone would have the issue, but many did and PEBCAK was not the problem. Why? There were other variables.

Atari has done their own in house research and guess what was discovered? "Houston we have a problem!" Similarly to Microsoft, they've been trying to resolve that problem through the update process and may have actually succeeded. Time will tell. So while I'm thrilled that you and your family had no issues, if I have to choose between your personal anecdotal evidence or Atari's own research, I'm sorry, but I've got to go with Atari on this one. 😉

• Like 2

Funny how you think.. so I combined your two posts so maybe you can see it better...

On 3/20/2024 at 6:49 AM, Aragorn7 said:

However, I generally find it curious when we make broad rigid statements like, "I can tell you that the "bought new out of the box" update issue, which required a manual flash of the OS to fix, was not the fault of the users.  This failure occurs/occurred simply as a result of turning the VCS on"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PowerDubs said:

Funny how you think.. so I combined your two posts so maybe you can see it better...

Now that's funny -- conflating two statements out of context to make a proof text. Are we now taking lessons from modern media? 😀

My "broad" statement, "...was not the fault of users" was based on additional information provided by Atari. Yours was based solely on personal experience. Investigated data vs anecdote: There is a difference you know, but I understand people are free to choose what will be their authoritative sources.  😉

Edited by Aragorn7
  • Like 1

My comment was simply that you made a broad rigid definitive statement.  Given that many users have had no problems whatsoever- your commentary was flawed.  I've followed the VCS closely since it was first ever announced.  I also run the VCS sub Reddit.  So- much more data points than just my personal family experience.

"Atari's own research" never said it was Atari's 'fault'.... Atari themselves very possibly could *think* it was user caused as well... naturally they could never *say* that.

Just because they 'fixed the problem'- doesn't mean they claim responsibility for the problem.

Correlation does not mean causation.

They could have simply fixed any chance that a user could cause the screw up.

"Investigated data vs anecdote" - good thing you aren't a scientist.  :)   You made a conclusion, put yourself in a box- and didn't think outside of that box.

Well now. There you go again. 🙃  I have to give you credit. You are both creative and resilient.

As early as December 2022 an Atari employee from the Atari VCS Discord stated that while they were not positive, Atari believed that the much older warehouse consoles were not able to accept the then current Atari OS update. It was also divulged that the BIOS Update (that took place after the OS update) was preventing some people from accessing the BIOS with their password. It was recommended that for a new out of the box console it was better not to let the VCS update itself due to the potential for an update loop. The user was first to change the Admin password so as to make sure he/she would not be locked out of the BIOS by the BIOS Update. The next step was to flash the system and then after that it should update properly. 

You may disagree with the advice given; you may think it ludicrous, but it was from Atari personnel. Now while I know we can continue to exchange our viewpoints on this topic, there comes a time when two parties can become more interested in winning than in actually hearing the other side. That benefits no one. I'm confident you must be an admirable person; so I'd like to offer a suggestion. I am perfectly content for our comments to stand just as they are and allow any dispassionate person to evaluate them on their own merit. People are free to draw their own conclusions and I'm quite comfortable with that. And who knows, perhaps the next time you and I might find ourselves on the same side. Wouldn't that be something? Now how about if we each return to our respective corners; take off the gloves; and play on our Atari VCS. Mine's working fine and I definitely know yours is too. 😃, 
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up!  I plugged my VCS yesterday upstairs to get out of the cold basement, get things updated and actually play.  Updates went in without a hitch (though in full transparency-I did have to update via USB when I got my system a few weeks ago brand new off eBay.  After that any other update has worked).

Then I was inspired to spend money.....

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

I've had problems with the VCS freezing at the Store tab ever since the update. Anyone else have this problem?

IMG_0198.JPG

Yes, I had that happen to me as well. After a reboot all seemed well so I figured it was an anomaly.

58 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

I've had problems with the VCS freezing at the Store tab ever since the update. Anyone else have this problem?

No problems for me with the store or any games. 

8 hours ago, tripled79 said:

IMG_0198.JPG

It’s happened to me multiple times. Submitted an issue report to Atari about it. 

• 1 month later...