IGNORED

The Great Giana Sisters for Intellivision Homebrew

Hi,

after I saw the super mario bros port for intellivision I immediately thought about porting one of my alltime childhood classics: The Great Giana Sisters. I am not sure if the game is well known outside of europe (especially germany). It was a game released in 1987 for C64 and Amiga that had such a striking similarity to Super Mario that Nintendo had the game removed from the market. 
Giana Sisters Wikipedia

In the video you can see the first level. It is still missing a lot of features like powerups, crumbling floors, destroying blocks and very obviously sound etc., but I wanted to give you an insight into the development of the game from the very beginning on.

The game runs fine on my Backbit Pro and I will upload the ROM as soon as the first level with all its features is done.

For those of you who know the original game: I wanted to recreate the parallax clouds and also added a second layer with even lower scrolling speed. I also added the ability to "bounce off" enemies and made the controls a bit less floaty compared to the original.

The graphics and level were created with my own "retro content suite". A tool that is intended to help with creating assets for retro hardware. It is currently very WIP but I might share it in the future if its of any use to anyone.
retro conten suite demo

Feedback is highly appreciated!

• Like 22

It looks great!

If I could make a suggestion, it is that the jumping seems a bit too “floaty.”  Specifically, when falling, the acceleration seems a bit slow.  I do not recall how the original was, but tightening up the jump mechanic would make the playing experience closer to Super Mario Bros., which I would imagine is the prototypical experience all the clones try to imitate.

dZ.

Thanks for the praise and the feedback so far!

15 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Specifically, when falling, the acceleration seems a bit slow.

The fall starts at the turning point of the jump arch where vecolity is zero. I can try to start with a bit more speed to make the fall feel "heavier". Thanks for the hint!

5 minutes ago, Eisengrim said:

Definitely - I found myself watching the clouds more than the jumping!

Great! It was a bit tricky to make it work with the scrolling AND moving it slowly while standing still. But I had really hoped that people appreciate it. Thanks for letting me know 😃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Intymike said:

A few years ago some guy made a Giana demo featuring the music.

Yes, I stumbled upon this when I had a quick search if Giana has already been ported to the Intellivision! I found the link on circuit-board.de

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eiswuxe said:

Thanks for the praise and the feedback so far!

No worries.

1 hour ago, Eiswuxe said:

The fall starts at the turning point of the jump arch where vecolity is zero. I can try to start with a bit more speed to make the fall feel "heavier". Thanks for the hint!

I am not sure if starting with a non-zero velocity would be the best way.  To me the fall appears sluggish, which suggests that the acceleration itself is too low (i.e., it takes much too long to reach terminal velocity.)

Anyway, it may be worth experimenting with various parameters.

I look forward to seeing your progress. :)

dZ.

7 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

the jumping seems a bit too “floaty.”

Actually the physics in the original Great Giana Sisters was pretty much like that, much cruder than Super Mario Bros. Those of us who didn't have access to both games at the same could not compare it back then, but if you compare today it is a huge difference. Again it is a matter if one wants a port to be as accurate to the original as possible, or as good as possible.

7 hours ago, Intymike said:

A few years ago some guy made a Giana demo featuring the music.

Um, are you referring to the intro to Voyage? I made that music, with tongue in cheek as the intro features a Mario scene. It never was intended to be polished or perfect.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Um, are you referring to the intro to Voyage? I made that music, with tongue in cheek as the intro features a Mario scene. It never was intended to be polished or perfect.

Hey, I remember that!  😄  Memories ...

-dZ.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

Um, are you referring to the intro to Voyage?

No, I was referring to this video here

I did not know about the Voyage Demo. I stumbled across the "Spririt" Demo by Arnauld Chevallier a while ago, but I did not know that there is some sort of  "demo scene" on the Intellivision as well. The voyage demo is really well done!

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

Again it is a matter if one wants a port to be as accurate to the original as possible, or as good as possible.

The original game is even more floaty than my version, I already tried to "modernize" it a bit :D
I personally prefer a slightly slower jump since it seems to me that I have a bit more control over the movement, which is critical in platformers. But I also dislike if it gets too slow like in some newer mario games, where it feels like the character is constantly floating or moving on ice when turning.

Guess I will play around with various values. One thing I dont want to change too much is the design of the original levels. I need to make sure the levels can be played as intended, which also puts some constraints to the movement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eiswuxe said:

No, I was referring to this video here

I was not aware of that one, but it looks more like a slideshow of static screens with accompanying music, rather than a game demo.

I did not know about the Voyage Demo. I stumbled across the "Spririt" Demo by Arnauld Chevallier a while ago,

Arnauld’s demo is rather impressive visually, especially when one understands the limitations of the platform.

but I did not know that there is some sort of  "demo scene" on the Intellivision as well.

There is not.  Arnauld’s demo was a one-off, since he apparently was part of the Amiga demo scene in the past.  He is a very talented and prolific programmer, and tends to focus on presentation, so it seems natural for him to create something like the Spirit demo.

The Voyage demo was another one-off project, led by @shazz, a member of the old RSI crew, who wanted to create a demo on a retro-platform for the @Party demo-party in 2017.  He chose the Intellivision, I suppose, because it had not been presented as a demo platform before.

The voyage demo is really well done!

Thank you!  I’m sure the rest of the crew is equally proud and appreciates the kind words.

The original game is even more floaty than my version, I already tried to "modernize" it a bit :D
I personally prefer a slightly slower jump since it seems to me that I have a bit more control over the movement, which is critical in platformers. But I also dislike if it gets too slow like in some newer mario games, where it feels like the character is constantly floating or moving on ice when turning.

Fair enough.

Guess I will play around with various values. One thing I dont want to change too much is the design of the original levels. I need to make sure the levels can be played as intended, which also puts some constraints to the movement.

That is fair, although you have to consider that the scaling down of the graphics resolution and display area should be balanced with commensurate adjustments in velocity and other mechanical aspects. ;)

I do not say this because I think you have not done so, but because it is a key aspect of transporting games from one platform to another that is easily missed by many conversions.

Anyway, on with the progress.  Let us see what happens next with this project. 👍🏻

dZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. I added the flash powerup (for shooting) and some basic sound effects.

Btw, is there a way for me to edit my original post? then I could always pin the latest video on top.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Eiswuxe said:

Another update. I added the flash powerup (for shooting) and some basic sound effects.

Btw, is there a way for me to edit my original post? then I could always pin the latest video on top.

Looks great!  It's coming along nicely.  👍

-dZ.