IGNORED

Any Miner2049er fans out there?

bigfriendly

Hello all:) I played the 5200 version at the neighbors back in the day and even with added challenge of the controllers I loved it. I remember renting the Colecovision version when it came out and even though it had more levels (at least I think it did) and looked just as good if not better I still seem to have more memories and fondness for the good ole 5200 version of the game. Has anybody ever played any of the computer versions of the game? Are they different better or worse than the 5200 version?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 213132.png

• Like 1

The Atari computer version and 5200 version are nearly identical.

the Atari computer version was the original,  and it was ported in an innovative way at the time.    Instead of doing ports themselves, or subcontracting it out,  Big Five licensed the game to a bunch of other publishers to port to other platforms.

Despite that most of the ports I tried stayed pretty true to the original.   The biggest difference I see is the timer,  I run out of time or come close on other platforms where I wouldn't on the Atari.

I think all the ports had 10 levels (except the 2600), but I could be wrong.   One of the publishers, MicroFun, created their own unofficial "Miner2049er II" sequel with new levels before Bounty Bob Strikes Back came out.

• Like 2

I love Miner 2049er!

My introduction to it was actually the Apple II version, on a disk full of copied games. I also have it for Commodore 64, Atari 5200, Coleco, VIC-20, Atari 2600, and TI-99/4a (which I actually haven't gotten around to playing yet, since my TI setup hasn't been hooked up in a while). Maybe also the Atari 400/800 version, I forget--but I have the 5200 version so I also don't really care. 😜 

To me, they're all pretty great. The odd duck in the group is the Atari 2600 version, which is definitely stuck in a lower gear but still pretty fun...until you die and have to slowly slog through the entire level all over again. That's what kills the 2600 version IMO; if it had done a "three hits and you're out" thing rather than make you start again from square one, it would have been a lot more palatable. (Of course, if it just played faster, that would be better still.)

Beyond that, they're all of essentially similar quality yet also distinct to their hardware (and sometimes with differences in how the transporters work), with none really standing head and shoulders above the rest. The VIC-20 version is another outlier with substandard graphics, but it at least retains the gameplay. I think it's neat that the Apple version has little Apple logos for the items/treasures. The Coleco version is probably the best of these overall, but I think I might slightly prefer the Atari 5200 and Commodore 64 versions for the transporters; the Coleco and Apple versions (both by Microfun) have elevators that you have to take up/down one floor at a time, whereas in the 5200 and C64 (and other) versions you can "warp" to any floor. Not a huge deal, but can make a difference when you're short on time.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I think all the ports had 10 levels (except the 2600), but I could be wrong. 

Perusing scans of some of the manuals, the Coleco version apparently has 11; the TI-99/4a has only 8, the VIC-20 has 7, and the 2600 just 3 (Want more? Buy Vol. II! 😜). 

• Like 2

Miner 2049er was a game I really wanted to play/try via reading articles about it in magazines (e.g. below).. but never got the chance back in the day.  Today I still enjoy playing it now and then but I don't have the cycles to get as deep into it as I probably would have had it been 1983. But what makes it great today is playing it on Atari 50th on the Switch where I can play it portably AND use save states to try and retry paths without having to restart all the time :lol:

image.thumb.png.2739a5ca3f9fae909187312f6d1a47dc.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zzip said:

The Atari computer version and 5200 version are nearly identical.

the Atari computer version was the original,  and it was ported in an innovative way at the time.    Instead of doing ports themselves, or subcontracting it out,  Big Five licensed the game to a bunch of other publishers to port to other platforms.

Despite that most of the ports I tried stayed pretty true to the original.   The biggest difference I see is the timer,  I run out of time or come close on other platforms where I wouldn't on the Atari.

I think all the ports had 10 levels (except the 2600), but I could be wrong.   One of the publishers, MicroFun, created their own unofficial "Miner2049er II" sequel with new levels before Bounty Bob Strikes Back came out.

Not sure if this is correct, as my personal experience is only with the A8 version, but i am told.. 

"The Atari 2600 version has three (and there is a Volume II cartridge with three more), ColecoVision has eleven, and the TI-99/4A has eight." 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockymin said:

One of my favorite games of all time.  Had it for both 5200 and my 800XL.  I also had Bounty Bob Strikes Back for my 800XL as well.

I had it on cartridge for my 800XL,fell in love with it from the off. 

Sought out Bounty Bob Strikes Back on the C64 as soon as i moved over to that system. 

Just amazing games for their time. 

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

Perusing scans of some of the manuals, the Coleco version apparently has 11

I haven't played the Colecovision version since it came out in the early 80's but I thought it had another level or two more than the other versions. This game and Jumpman Jr which was also ported to lots of different consoles and computers are kind of underrated in my opinion. I'm mean sure retro fans like most of us recognize and remember them fondly but generally they are often kind of forgotten about.

• Like 1

Elektronite released an outstanding CIB version of Miner for the Intellivision a few years back that you don't really hear too much about.  I ended up selling my copy as I found the precise jumping and movements required were a bit of a chore for my thumb using the Inty controller.

I just finished all 10 levels using the Altirra emulator. I know I never finished this years ago because I think I would have remembered it. It would take an extreme amount of dedication and lots of effort to beat this game on a real 5200 console. The game is very challenging and I'm using a standard CX-40 controller to play it. I do remember how difficult it could be to make many of the small movements and jumps while using the 5200 controllers years ago. Yeah, I could see this game causing lots of joysticks to hit the floor with frustration four decades ago.

One of my favorites on the Atari computer.    I used to be able to make through all 10 levels without dying.   Sadly now can't even get through 6 or 7 with any lives

There are cheat codes in the Atari computer and 5200 versions that allow you to level select which is great for practice.   

• Like 2

Loved it bitd. Though I can say its not aged well. I never did get the "step on every floor piece" aspect. I know that was just to add difficulty or whatever, but seems to me collecting the loot and defeating the bad guys is the point. Oh, and die and you have to step on every floor again. Loved it bitd, but now days its just a lot of meaningless work and not nearly as fun.

(Edit)Been ages since I read the manual, but I don't recall it mentioning stepping on every floor, just defeating the guys and getting loot. Could be wrong, ill have to boot up Atari 50 and read it again.

I had both for 2600, and bounty bob strikes back for 5200.

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Video said:

Loved it bitd. Though I can say its not aged well. I never did get the "step on every floor piece" aspect. I know that was just to add difficulty or whatever,

The "touch every section of the level" and "power ups that let you destroy enemies" are basically Pac-Man mechanics,  combined with the platforming of Donkey Kong.  The gameplay of the two most popular games of the era combined into one.   Now you know the secrets to the game's success!  :lol:

• Like 4

Played it on the C64, and have some fond memories of it, but also felt it wasn't quite up to snuff with other platformers on the C64 at the time, e.g. Jumpman.  Having to replay all the levels from the start every time you died quickly became tedious, especially with the early levels lacking challenge but tested your patience with the "fill every floor tile" mechanic.  I don't know if the level skip feature was there on the C64, but it could have been a game changer if I knew about it.  As it was, I don't think I got any further than level 5.

Edited by westman

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I bought it for ColecoVision BITD and still have it.  I thought it was great (and still do), but once I bought Jumpman Junior,  I mostly turned my attention to that.

I played the Colecovision Jumpman Jr. also and it was a fun game. It also feels like a title that often gets lost or forgotten in the sea of platformers that existed back then.

• Like 2

Loved jump man games, closer to a traditional platformer with collecting the rings and avoiding badguys. But like many platformers of the era, has its own problems. One common platform quirk in most platformers of the time was "falling any distance kills" like the very first level of jumpman has a platform on the lowest platform. You can walk onto it, but have to jump off it, if you walk off, you die, say wha?!

Yeah miner 2049er mostly was an exercise in requiring precise jumping to platforms that are unneeded outside to be there, which bitd, yeah, but as platformers progressed, got better, its easier to see the flaws. I could see putting a baddie on a platform to require getting to it, even have the game randomly place bad guys on the levels to get more levels, even if you stick to the three (I think it was) screens of the Atari 2600 version. But if somebody made a sequel, I'd say nix the floor tiles bit.

I think jump man doesn't get the same love (despite bein awesome, having a huge variety of enemies/obsticals, and something like 50 levels, was because it wasn't on the 2600, or any Atari console I believe.

Posted (edited)

I just finished a video to pay homage to this great game which definitely holds special memories for me. I'm so glad that my friends that lived next door had a Atari 5200 so I could really take in this classic game over 4 decades ago. I really appreciate those of you that have watched my videos and even subbed to the channel:)

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 2