IGNORED

2600+ scanlines option?

SJD69

I hate how "scanlines" look on games in general. The system is literally just putting out blocks of colors, the screen is what (potentially) is making scanlines, and tbh, I don't miss them. Granted, different strokes for different folks, don't mind if scan lines are an option for those that want them, just leave the "pure" image option on as well. Think scan lines are a tv size thing, while they work the same, small tv's (which my poor childhood self used almost exclusively, 13-19") don't show them, or at least their not as prominent as on a big tv. Also viewing distance, sitting to close makes them more visible.

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Unless they are done properly the Atari games will look like sh*t. On the Atari 50th celebration collection the games look good with scanline effect.

7800 games would benefit more rather than 2600 games, in my opinion...

I used an external scanline generator on v1.0.

The 7800 games looked better with scanlines but the 2600 games looked better without scanlines.

The generator stopped working for me when the PAL games had 50Hz hdmi output on v1.1.

Most of these generators need a 60hz hdmi signal to work, otherwise they give a black screen, so I removed it and got used to the crisp output since then. After I played on the 2600+ for so long, now the output from original hw fed into my Retrotink5x looks strange to me😉

• Like 2

I think this was addressed some time ago in another thread, and Ben basically said, "Scan lines? Ick."  but thought they may be added as an optional downgrade in a future firmware release.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Video said:

I hate how "scanlines" look on games in general. The system is literally just putting out blocks of colors, the screen is what (potentially) is making scanlines, and tbh, I don't miss them. Granted, different strokes for different folks, don't mind if scan lines are an option for those that want them, just leave the "pure" image option on as well. Think scan lines are a tv size thing, while they work the same, small tv's (which my poor childhood self used almost exclusively, 13-19") don't show them, or at least their not as prominent as on a big tv. Also viewing distance, sitting to close makes them more visible.

I like them for classic arcade games, probably because I was standing close enough to the screen to see them clearly. Agreed that for Atari 8-bit graphics it’s really not necessary due to how low-res the images are already (and likely because I played on a small B&W TV where they weren’t very obvious.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:24 PM, SJD69 said:

Would be great for 2600 games - Ben, any chance of this?

Once the compatibilty is sorted and emulators running as best they can, we will look into this and other QoL features.

Its been talked about a lot, I think key thing is whilst bilinear filtering (slight blur effect) can probably be switched on, decent scanlines take some CPU grunt and we dont know if we have the headroom.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Scanlines are difficult to do and get perfect. Different TV's/resolution. For instance, I prefer playing carts on my retron 5 with no filters and scanlines. My Evercade, definitely scanlines off. Atari 2600 games no. 7800 games probably would benefit.

• Like 1

Ideally 1080p and higher is needed for scan lines, gives the ability to show adaptive scan lines, where the brighter the video, the more compressed together are the dark scanlines.   Then there’s emulating the shadow mask for another level of realism.

probably requires more cpu time to do the video filtering than to emulate the 2600.

Yes, shadow mask is often overlooked yet it is that offset RGB pixel effect that is arguably more important than just scanlines. Hopefully these can be added if there's enough processing headroom - thanks Ben for chiming in on this.