IGNORED

The Official Sega Master System Thread

24 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I'd love to make homebrew games for the Sega Master System.

I say give it a try, it's a really neat little system to work with.
SMS Power has a few tutorials and starter resources as well as a pretty active developer forum where you can discuss specifics.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

I know there's no way to convert Game Gear Games to Master System without decoding in C, even today with like Level Editers

While I don't know of any ready made converters, there are a few GG games that have been converted to the SMS. I've got a folder for my flash cart with quite a few of those conversions. So there are folks that have done it at least.

11 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I wonder how many Master System/Mark III games had parallax scrolling? (Sagaia was one of them.)

There's quite a few games that do it, the Master System has a very solid scanline interrupt system that can be configured to generate interrupts every N'th scanline which definitely helps. One unfortunate thing is that you can't change vertical scroll mid frame, so that definitely limits how many fancy scrolling effects you can pull off.

One of my personal favourites though has to be the first 2 stages of Aladdin, with a mix of scanline interrupts and animated tiles they created a pretty impressive 3D effect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While I don't know of any ready made converters, there are a few GG games that have been converted to the SMS. I've got a folder for my flash cart with quite a few of those conversions. So there are folks that have done it at least.

These are conversions done manually, what some people are trying to figure out is a way to convert them automatically do it using an adapter, maybe with a microprocessor inside it to convert the colors that aren't available on the Master System. But if you already play in a flash cart there aren't many reasons to want something like that.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:08 PM, SlidellMan said:

I thought I would share another one of my favorite SMS OSTs:

I wonder how many Master System/Mark III games had parallax scrolling? (Sagaia was one of them.)

It was quite common, there's gotta be well over 100.

The North American launch alone featured 5 games with parallax.