IGNORED

The emulator THE400 Mini is using is Colleen

Spanner

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Is it running Android?  Or just a small Linux install?  RGL could have just called it Colleen after the development names Atari used for the 400 (Candy) and 800 (Colleen).

No, its running Buildroot Linux Buildroot 2020.11-git
RGL usually keep the name of the emulator they are using, like Amiberry was called Amiberry but they did call VICE thec64-emu.rgl and thevic20-emu.rgl but everyone knew it was VICE 2.4 in THEC64 so do not see them renaming it, if you look at the .cfg files it uses in the Media Select Screen for USB games you can see its not Retroarch, its config is different, it would use lines from Retroarch.cfg like the Atari2600 Plus does and it don't.

And Android is Linux, just a different built of it for mobile phones.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Colleen Emulator:
Some highlights of the port include:

* Efficient performance
- hardware keyboard (re-mappable),
* Full hardware keyboard support
* Integrated emulated keyboard
* OpenSL ES native sound for perfect sound playback.
* Saving/Loading of save states
* NTSC and PAL machines
* Supports disks, cassettes and executable files

I removed the ones not used.
THE400 Mini uses OpenSL ES 2.0.

It GPU is a Mail 400 MPU.
Video of Colleen

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

it looks like its Chris Smith's version of Colleen, the copyright is in the binary so might not be the same but looking at its code its a Atari800 emulator so not Retroarch...

Colleen Author Copyright (c)2022 Chris Smith

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

This is RGL own emulator, it probably to stop people complaining about they are using someone else's emulator and to stop someone adding a exploit to it and hacking it so the code is in house and RGL have full control over it, one problem with this its not open source so one can add stuff to it, only RGL can update it and thats if they ever do, THEC64 emulator never did got updated or Amiberry v3.3, so you might have to live the way it is because they are not known for update the emulator, they only updating the carousel.

See no repository for Colleen on RGL repository: https://github.com/orgs/retro-games-ltd/repositories

Edited by Spanner

On 3/29/2024 at 7:02 PM, Spanner said:

And Android is Linux, just a different built of it for mobile phones.

Not exactly.   Android is an operating environment based around Java and optimized for touch-screens that uses a Linux kernel at its core.  But it operates differently than desktop Linux and you cannot take apps from one and run it on the other without doing some work.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:08 AM, Spanner said:

it looks like its Chris Smith's version of Colleen, the copyright is in the binary so might not be the same but looking at its code its a Atari800 emulator so not Retroarch...

Colleen Author Copyright (c)2022 Chris Smith

I'm sure Chris Smith is a director of Retro Games Ltd rather than the developer of Colleen.  As far as I was aware Colleen is by Kostas Nakos - a port of the open source atari800 emulator.

On 4/3/2024 at 8:40 AM, Spanner said:

This is RGL own emulator, it probably to stop people complaining about they are using someone else's emulator and to stop someone adding a exploit to it and hacking it so the code is in house and RGL have full control over it,

It's interesting that they decided to write their own emulator. They sacrificed the high accuracy that modern emulators have for getting full licensing control?

5 hours ago, ijor said:

It's interesting that they decided to write their own emulator. They sacrificed the high accuracy that modern emulators have for getting full licensing control?

I think there was not another solution available for them. The libretro 800 core that runs on linux is an old port of atari800 with some serious bugs, including the bad audio quality. That one is a.o. used on the Gamestation Pro for 5200 emulation. The other great emulator is Altirra and is Windows only. Manufacturing a 400 mini that runs on Windows is way too expensive.

6 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I think there was not another solution available for them. The libretro 800 core that runs on linux is an old port of atari800 with some serious bugs, including the bad audio quality. That one is a.o. used on the Gamestation Pro for 5200 emulation. The other great emulator is Altirra and is Windows only. Manufacturing a 400 mini that runs on Windows is way too expensive.

Altirra actually runs great under wine, but the real problem is it needs an x86 processor,  not ARM.   It also tends to force me to use the mouse sometimes, which is not ideal for TV-connected emulation box like this.

Atari800 also works great but you can't currently map keyboard keys to a controller.  But it's open source so that should be fixable.

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

I think there was not another solution available for them. The libretro 800 core that runs on linux is an old port of atari800 with some serious bugs, including the bad audio quality.

Are you saying that writing a new emulator from scratch was easier than fixing those bugs, or retrofitting libreto to a newer a800 version?

22 minutes ago, ijor said:

Are you saying that writing a new emulator from scratch was easier than fixing those bugs, or retrofitting libreto to a newer a800 version?

I don't think it was written from scratch,  isn't it a modification of the Android "Colleen" emulator?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ijor said:

No, I agree with Steve Zzips reply 😉

17 hours ago, zzip said:

I don't think it was written from scratch,  isn't it a modification of the Android "Colleen" emulator?

But it seems they didn't publish the modified sources as they should for GPL software. That would mean they forgot ? ... or they didn't ? ... Very unlikely either way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ijor said:

But it seems they didn't publish the modified sources as they should for GPL software. That would mean they forgot ? ... or they didn't ? ... Very unlikely either way.

It took the64 community 2 years to get the source code.....

By the way, KOCH MEDIA = PLAION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE64

THE64 is a "mini console" running x64 of VICE, distributed by KOCH MEDIA. It started as this indiegogo project.

• x64 is statically linked into their THE64 binary
  • the updates are Linux executables that are statically linked to libgcrypt, a LGPL 2.1-licensed library.

The packaging / Manual contains no pointers to GPL software. it contains this interesting (and obviously wrong, cloanto didnt even exist in 1984) copyright notice though:

CBM 8-bit ROMs © 1977-1984 Cloanto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Furnished under license from Cloanto Corporation.

The required GPL notice on where/how to get the source code is at the bottom of a 5270 lines license notice, which you can view through their menu. The same note can also be found in their FAQ.

You may obtain the corresponding Open Source code from us for a period of three
 years after our last shipment of this product, by sending a money order
 or cheque for 5 GBP to: 

GPL Compliance Division,
 Retro Games Ltd.
 Suite 112, Crystal House, New Bedford Road, Luton, England. LU1 1HS

Please write "source for <firmware version number>" in the memo line of your payment.

Obviously they are trying to make it as hard and unattractive as possible for users to get their hands on this source.

• on 11.06.2018 algorithm requested source via their contact form. let's see what happens (->nothing)
  • on 13.11.2018 swingflip from the thec64 forum posted the actual sourcecode that he recieved. we still need to examine it and find out if it is complete (the updater program seems incomplete at least)
  • 17.11.2018 quick update
[...] So it seems that the code provided wasn't 100%.
The main bugbear I have is that the libnand for sun7i platform in the U-BOOT is incorrect so the U-BOOT code does not compile. [...]
Secondly the code for the firmware update was swapped out with stubs. Not sure why this was done but technically it violates GPL [...]
Also the code provided for the kernel doesn't seem complete either [...]
  • RESOLVED some time around january 2020 a github repository surfaced, which appears to contain at least the VICE part of the firmware: https://github.com/retro-games-lt
Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just found out something about the emulator

colleen is a 'wrapper' around the libretro (retroarch) core of atari800. it talks to the core to do various things, it isn't retroarch, but rather talks directly to the libatari800.so file, colleen just sits 'in the way' between the user and the libretro core and only lets the user do what RGL want.

So now we know its libretro, thats why it can rewind the game.

and Colleen can be run by itself, it loads up Atari Notepad.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

There care so much about there console they couldn't even change the CXSTICKS name from THEGamepad, I would of found that very annoying, it would of have to have the right name, is it a bug or could they not be bothered to change it, (well it works, who cares.... I CARE...Samuel L Jackson, Warburton Advert... :) )

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)

It seems everything is called THEGamepad now, even the joysticks on the Atari2600 Plus are named it, you need to name things properly, everything is so VHS now, all the same as one and another.
All I can say is no one at RGL is Autistic because this would drive me nuts, them not having the right names, I'll have to make sure they do... :)

Edited by Spanner

On 4/7/2024 at 2:00 PM, Spanner said:

Just found out something about the emulator

So now we know its libretro, thats why it can rewind the game.

and Colleen can be run by itself, it loads up Atari Notepad.

Did you find any configuration files in there? The cfg-files that are created for the USB stick games are different than the standard cfg-file Atari800 uses. It would be nice to find some extra cfg "commands" to enable for example stereo pokey (Atari800 does support that) and maybe other "commands" to make the 400 mini more compatible.

4 minutes ago, Spanner said:

This is a cfg from one of the games on the carousel, I think its Airball, can't remember which one I run now... :)

resume.cfg 422 B · 0 downloads

Thank you! Can you supply the cfg of an European game please 🙂 for example Henry's House or Elektraglide.

I was hoping that there was a cfg-file for the emulator itself, like this one of Atari800: https://github.com/lutris/atari800/blob/master/debian/atari800.cfg