IGNORED

mame.dk RIP?

caveman

Mame .76 ! :o Your right what I was reading was outdated. Last I heard we up to .74.

Only few months ago since I upgraded to Mame .66, and theres been 10 versions since.

Althought it would nice owning all MAME roms, I just cant afford to use up 25 CDs so ill wait until maybe one-day ive afforded a DVD Recorder, if they have been invented yet.

:|

wow, I stopped having time to collect full sets around 0.66, and it still fit on 10 CD's then.... I don't do hdimages because I have no interest in the arcade games that use them, but I find it tough to believe that they could have doubled the amount of stuff needed for a full MAME set in 6 months...

btw: bittorrent and ed2k are your friends.... usenet too, but the other two are a lot easier...

It's not just games on the 4 DVD's there is artwork and samples as well. There is only like 8 GB of actual games (not counting the Hard Disk games).

Hard Disk Games. :ponder: ?

what are exactly are the Hard Disk Games and how do they differ from the Normal Games? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

Where they faster that way ?

Killer Instinct, for example had a 130MB harddisc where the game was stored on. Putting 130MB worth of data on ROM was really out of the question in 1995...

I guess it will still be like that today, ive never come across a 130MB ROM before.

So now I can tell the difference between HardDisk Games and Laserdisk games.

8)

Frankly, I consider the loss of the information much worse than the loss of the downloads. MAME roms are available in tons of places as long as you know where to look, but not many other sites have information on when roms were changed, or what roms are parents/children of other ones, or what CPU/input/color depth/etc certain games run in. Luckily, mamedb.org is still around for that stuff (Don't bother look there for roms though).

And why on earth would you want a complete MAME rom set? More than half of the games are utter trash. Do you have any idea how many Mahjongg games are in there? Not to mention huge amounts of clones that you'll never play. It's also worth pointing out that the MAME devs recently changed things so that all games that were previously marked TESTDRIVER (and not enabled) now are enabled. This means that there are a huge amount of games that won't even play properly regardless of whether you have the correct rom. If you concentrate on the games that you'll actually want to play more than once, I doubt you'll even exceed a single CD (Barring hard drive or Laserdisc games).

--Zero

When you've gotten used to researching obscure crap and finding elusive stuff on the net over the course of 15-20 years, it's FAR easier to just assemble a complete set than to go through each of 3000+ games going "Want this one.... don't want this one.... oh, crap, I want this one but it depends on a rom from a game I threw out 3 CD's ago..." Throw in a mild case of OCD and it seems completely stupid to not be an obsessive completist.

Additionally, unless you're the kind of person that thinks you need to use a browser to download each and every set individually, you'll download the MAME set in chunks of 500-700MB from some peer to peer system, not "puckman.zip.... pacmanj.zip.... pacman.zip...."

Finally, for the record... yes, I once made a one-CD complete MAME set (circa 1997 when it still easily fit on one CD) and yes, there were plenty of games I wanted to play that weren't on it ;) Even nowadays I'll probably be using other things besides MAME to emulate certain games.... Daphne for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace comes to mind (I have multiple legal copies of those for the PC, but they kinda suck compared to daphne and are for Windows anyway...)

@Ze_ro has a point there, how many of those Rom-Sets do we play more than once. :ponder:

Myself have around 580 Rom-Sets (Games), and only play about 8 or 9 of them regularly.

But im planning of playing the other 572 to death soon in the future anyway, thats probably why game collecting can be come a little bit addictive.

:twisted: