IGNORED

The400 Mini Show

pjedavison

Kicking off a new series on YouTube that is really just my existing Atari 8-bit series rebranded slightly :) The400 Mini Show! I'm aiming to alternate between showcasing the built-in games of the system and other titles from the 8-bit's library that folks might want to load on to their system, with a priority on stuff that doesn't require too much keyboard control/controller remapping.

Despite the graphical glitches with the built-in version of M.U.L.E., there's no way I wasn't kicking off the series with it, so here we go!

• Like 6

Besides the built-in games, I'm also going to explore some stuff that folks might want to load onto a USB stick and enjoy on The400 Mini, both old and new.

Today it's the turn of Binary Parasite, which I stumbled across while browsing some homebrew discussions on this very site. Great game that I like very much! Can imagine it gets exceedingly tricky in the later stages, though.

• Like 2

I've been a subscriber on YouTube for a while, your videos are great.  I started watching your Atari A to Z set a while back.  

You ROCK at River Raid for Atari 8 bit.  😀 😀   I was laughing the other day, in the video you casually mentioned something about having one of the top River Raid scores on XBox or something.  Ha, that's awesome.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:00 AM, pjedavison said:

Kicking off a new series on YouTube that is really just my existing Atari 8-bit series rebranded slightly :) The400 Mini Show! I'm aiming to alternate between showcasing the built-in games of the system and other titles from the 8-bit's library that folks might want to load on to their system, with a priority on stuff that doesn't require too much keyboard control/controller remapping.

Despite the graphical glitches with the built-in version of M.U.L.E., there's no way I wasn't kicking off the series with it, so here we go!

23 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Besides the built-in games, I'm also going to explore some stuff that folks might want to load onto a USB stick and enjoy on The400 Mini, both old and new.

Today it's the turn of Binary Parasite, which I stumbled across while browsing some homebrew discussions on this very site. Great game that I like very much! Can imagine it gets exceedingly tricky in the later stages, though.

Checked out and commented on both videos the other day.  Definitely looking forward to many, many videos on this series yet to come.

Checked out your (linked) M.U.L.E. video.

Very enjoyable!

And I learned things about the game I'd either long-since forgotten - or somehow never picked up from the manual back in my teenage years (I wasn't big on reading manuals back then).

Never ever thought I'd watch a video of someone else playing through a game (snippets of gameplay in a broader context notwithstanding) - that I could just fire up and play myself - much less that I'd like it.  But it was a surprisingly "zen" experience.  Now to see what else is there!

Subscribed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Torq said:

Checked out your (linked) M.U.L.E. video.

Very enjoyable!

And I learned things about the game I'd either long-since forgotten - or somehow never picked up from the manual back in my teenage years (I wasn't big on reading manuals back then).

Never ever thought I'd watch a video of someone else playing through a game (snippets of gameplay in a broader context notwithstanding) - that I could just fire up and play myself - much less that I'd like it.  But it was a surprisingly "zen" experience.  Now to see what else is there!

Subscribed.

That's great to hear, thanks. I've experimented with different formats over the last few years, but the one I consistently enjoy doing the most is just playing something and chatting with the audience in the role of "invisible friend". Its comforting for me too -- makes me long for days gone by when I'd sit in front of the computer with a pal and we'd try to figure out all sorts of games, to varying degrees of success. :)

2 hours ago, pjedavison said:

...when I'd sit in front of the computer with a pal and we'd try to figure out all sorts of games, to varying degrees of success.

Oh, I guess you'd lost your manuals too. :D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrFish said:

Oh, I guess you'd lost your manuals too. :D

...Yeah. Lost. That was definitely the problem. For some reason, my Dad and brother could never "find" them at the "Computer Club" they used to attend and get all our games from. :)

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, pjedavison said:

...Yeah. Lost. That was definitely the problem. For some reason, my Dad and brother could never "find" them at the "Computer Club" they used to attend and get all our games from. :)

Manuals to all the games that came (on many menu disks) with the used 1050's I bought (in 1985) apparently got lost too. Lost manuals seems to have been some sort of an epidemic back then. Seeing that the previous owner was into BBS'ing, he probably didn't have time to keep track of all the original manuals that came with these validly-purchased games of his. He's seems to have misplaced the original disks for the majority of these too. It's alright; all has been forgiven... ;)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrFish said:

Manuals to all the games that came (on many menu disks) with the used 1050's I bought (in 1985) apparently got lost too. Lost manuals seems to have been some sort of an epidemic back then. Seeing that the previous owner was into BBS'ing, he probably didn't have time to keep track of all the original manuals that came with these validly purchased games of his. He's seems to have misplaced the original disks for the majority of these too. It's alright; all has been forgiven... ;)

I do actually have a ring binder of photocopied manuals for some games, but definitely only a minority of the stuff we had in The Disk Boxes.

I've kept up the tradition by printing out manuals for more complex games and/or those that used the manual for supplementary material/copy protection (hi, Infocom) in some more ring binders. With the absurd prices of retro computer software on eBay, it strikes a balance between having the cool physical stuff and not having to make scalpers rich.

I did buy a boxed copy of Temple of Apshai Trilogy for cheap a while back. It was cheap because the label had fallen off the disk so the seller wasn't sure if it was the right one, haha. Everything else was immaculate. And it was the right disk. :)

Edited by pjedavison

17 minutes ago, pjedavison said:

I do actually have a ring binder of photocopied manuals for some games, but definitely only a minority of the stuff we had in The Disk Boxes.

I got so many games/disks with the 1050's I bought back then (hundreds, which I'm sure he downloaded BBS'ing) that I wasn't too concerned about the few I couldn't figure out. I found out we occasionally missed a few features in some games, since they were still quite playable without them.

One game we didn't figure out was MULE; we loved the intro, music, animation, etc.; but never messed around with it enough to figure out what was up with gameplay. Just booted it up now and again to have a look at everything and poke around. I wasn't in contact with any other Atari 8-bit computer fans back then; so I had no resource for manuals. All questions have been answered by now...

yes, I am someone who will happily do a Let's Play of a text adventure. (In fact adventures are some of my favourite games to do videos of!)

Let's Moonmist!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 6:18 AM, pjedavison said:

Time for Bristles! Considerably more fun than watching paint dry... but also a tad more difficult.

2 hours ago, pjedavison said:

yes, I am someone who will happily do a Let's Play of a text adventure. (In fact adventures are some of my favourite games to do videos of!)

Let's Moonmist!

Great stuff as always.  I am very much enjoying this new series.  Take care and I look forward to many more videos yet to come.