IGNORED

The luckiest day of my LIFE! How I scored an entire car full of rare Atari ST computers

My fingers are still shaking as I type this, my cheeks are flush and numb, and I still wonder if I'm in a dream. Just today, the best deal I've ever gotten in my life showed up online. A huge stack of rare Atari ST computers from a retired computer repair guy.

The moment the seller replied to me with his address, I was calling an uber and heading out to meet him. Tsunamis of adrenaline were crashing across my body during the long ride to meet him.

It all worked out though, and I'm beyond elated! As the AVGN said in his Swordquest video "Not since the medieval times have I heard of a treasure of this scale!"

I got:

4 Atari Falcons (1 being an MK1?)

2 Mega STe computers

3 1040 STe computers

1 Mega 4 ST computer.

4 Atari ST mice

2 Atari Mega ST keyboards 

1 Mega STe/TT keyboard

And various cords.

How much did I pay for it all?

600 Canadian! 

20240405_220219.jpg

20240405_220226.jpg

20240405_220234.jpg

20240405_222328.jpg

20240405_222352.jpg

Edited by Snowbound1996
I got 4 mice instead of 2
  • Like 19

2 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Yeah congrats, wanted a mega ste but never really looked for given the cost.

The c-lab falcon mk1 is from after Atari went belly up 

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=39850

Thanks a bunch! I always wanted a Falcon and Mega STE too, but they cost obscene amounts of cash, now I'm set for life xD

Ohh, it's a post-Atari Falcon huh? Very neat! I wonder how common they are?

I've been looking for a TT for a while.  I hope yours works well.  For $600 that's wort it in my opinion for a decade of tinkering.

just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Good luck with the testing and please do keep us informed on what works and what doesn’t. Maybe some may have internal expansions too who knows.

You bet! Will keep you guys updated on everything. I'll happily sell a couple Falcons, a mega STe and other computers to the community if I can get them all restored! :D Would be cool if some have rare expansions

26 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've been looking for a TT for a while.  I hope yours works well.  For $600 that's wort it in my opinion for a decade of tinkering.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah, 600 dollars, though a lot to poor me, was sooo worth it for such a trove of Atari computers :D

45 minutes ago, Jfcatari said:

What a deal!

I have been searching for a decent deal on a single Falcon, but to score 4 of them.

I know right? Felt way too good to be true but...they're in my hands now, I guess it is real haha.

Honestly, I might sell you one of the Falcons if you're interested :)

• Like 1

A serious congrats is in order! What region was this in? A little jealous no doubt but I can see it went to someone that appreciates it. :)

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a nicely decked out C-Lab Falcon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noelio said:

A serious congrats is in order! What region was this in? A little jealous no doubt but I can see it went to someone that appreciates it. :)

I would absolutely love to get my hands on a nicely decked out C-Lab Falcon.

Thanks a bunch! This was in southern Ontario. I'm certain a lot of other peoole were messaging about it! 

Yes, I'll love keeping a couple Falcons and a Mega STe, but I'm happy to pass on the other Falcons and STe computers into the community so they can be appreciated and used.

I've heard even the 1040STe is rather uncommon in North America, I guess Atari just wasn't selling very well by the time STe machines were introduced?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:18 PM, Snowbound1996 said:

You bet! Will keep you guys updated on everything. I'll happily sell a couple Falcons, a mega STe and other computers to the community if I can get them all restored! :D Would be cool if some have rare expansions

Any news?

If you save a single Falcon out of that bounty you’ll be already net positive. I have to assume each system could require some level of repair but I am rooting for you that some just work AND somehow expect the c-lab to have the 14MB expansion (hopefully the other Falcons too) and maybe all STe at 4MB … if they were used in the music industry no point in keeping them unexpanded.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Any news?

If you save a single Falcon out of that bounty you’ll be already net positive. I have to assume each system could require some level of repair but I am rooting for you that some just work AND somehow expect the c-lab to have the 14MB expansion (hopefully the other Falcons too) and maybe all STe at 4MB … if they were used in the music industry no point in keeping them unexpanded.

Well, I've looked and most aren't all that expanded in terms of ram, but that's not so bad! I sent one Falcon to a guy I know for restoration.

In the meanwhile, I got a new in box JVC 1224 monitor today and I used it to test the STe computers. I got one to successfully boot into TOS, and wow! That monitor is absolutely beautiful to look at.

And yeah, even just one restored Fslcon would be a win, but I have hopes all of the computers can be restored.  Haven't tried powering on any Falcons, but in a couole weeks, I might have the first of 4 Falcons flying again :D

20240407_172513.jpg

20240407_173117.jpg

20240407_173321.jpg

20240407_123630.jpg

20240407_170413.jpg

Edited by Snowbound1996
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

Well, I've looked and most aren't all that expanded in terms of ram, but that's not so bad! I sent one Falcon to a guy I know for restoration.

In the meanwhile, I got a new in box JVC 1224 monitor today and I used it to test the STe computers. I got one to successfully boot into TOS, and wow! That monitor is absolutely beautiful to look at.

And yeah, even just one restored Fslcon would be a win, but I have hopes all of the computers can be restored.  Haven't tried powering on any Falcons, but in a couole weeks, I might have the first of 4 Falcons flying again :D

At least one of the STe seems working? How much mem in that one?

(did you try any of the mega ste?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

At least one of the STe seems working? How much mem in that one?

(did you try any of the mega ste?)

No, won't risk the really expensive stuff until I can get them checked out first.

Strangely, the bottom of the STe didn't say how much ram, so maybe just 1 meg?

I know 1 of the MSTe has 2m of ram