IGNORED

B-17 Bomber Flak Dodging?

Can anyone say if they actually ever really learn about dodged flak? I never got the feeling that I was able to avoid any, I would just see it and at later levels it seemed like the bottom of the place was getting hit and there really was no chance. 

5 minutes ago, First Spear said:

Can anyone say if they actually ever really learn about dodged flak? I never got the feeling that I was able to avoid any, I would just see it and at later levels it seemed like the bottom of the place was getting hit and there really was no chance. 

If you fly higher and faster (which burns up fuel at a faster pace), you get a lot less Flak.

Also, when you are flying in the cockpit view (the one with the horizon), you can see the shots coming at you (very fast!), and you can -- sort of -- dodge some of it by changing your attitude.

I don't think there is any specific way to avoid Flak, but I know that if I just let things be and don't alter my attitude or speed, the damage gets a lot worse, a lot faster.

dZ.

The instructions say to fly evasive maneuvers to avoid flak, so thats what I did. It seemed to help but not sure, after a few missions nothing helps as the games ends from aircraft damage. 

Just now, mr_me said:

The instructions say to fly evasive maneuvers to avoid flak, so thats what I did. It seemed to help but not sure, after a few missions nothing helps as the games ends from aircraft damage. 

That’s the thing:  I fly evasive maneuvers and it seems to help.  Sometimes I try to fly higher and faster, which seems to help also, but is more fraught, since it burns through the fuel rather quickly.

Ultimately, my games typically end when my aircraft crashes after an unsuccessful unpowered glide towards Allied territory, having run out of fuel.

I don’t know about the higher levels, for I’ve never play them.  I aim to at least have a chance of completing a mission. 😁

dZ.

I always played level four/disc. After a certain number of missions the game suddenly gets impossibly hard. The way this game ramps up difficulty isn't right. It might as well just end after x number of missions.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I don't remember the details about flak (I didn't actually work on that part). But I will comment here that one bug I found after release is that the damage counter can wrap back around to zero if you are flying high enough, allowing you to recover.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

I don't remember the details about flak (I didn't actually work on that part). But I will comment here that one bug I found after release is that the damage counter can wrap back around to zero if you are flying high enough, allowing you to recover.

Oh, yes, I had forgotten reading that in Mr. Robinson’s history notes.

Unfortunately, I have never managed to have that happen to me.  Then again, I have never tried hard enough.

I do know that if I climb high enough when low on fuel, when I inevitably run out, I can manage to cross the channel in an un-powered glide and gently land my feathery Flying Fortress on the shores of Britain without much problem.

It becomes harder on higher levels because the increasing damage prevents me from maintaining a good attitude, which ultimately causes my plane to drop out of the sky rather sharply.

Did I ever mention that I love this game?  I still play it from time to time. :)

dZ.

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, intvdave said:

An Anthology cart of B-17, Bomb Squad, and Space Spartans is planned to be released. I just do not know when.

Well, I look forward to that eagerly.  I was afraid that I may have missed it.

dZ.