IGNORED

Games that currently don't seem to work on the 400 mini

hloberg

15 hours ago, hloberg said:

anyone have a copy of Ballblazer NOT .com or .atx for me to test?

same with Hardball. both .com games just drop straight to the self test and don't start.

Ballblazer.xexI've had Fandal's version of Ballblazer working on The400 Mini. Attached!

Looks like we have stepped through all the games that I have found have problems except:

Satan's Hallow - seems to have issues with the keyboard.

Dave's Midnight Magic - same issues as Satan's Hallow

My guess is they did some illegal calls to the keyboard controllers that the other emulators caught. So, maybe an update will fix?

Now I haven't tested every homebrew, one off or much of the development and other apps. So if you come across another program that won't work just post here as someone my have a working version.

version 3 of the .ZIP 400mini full. games been tested (except all the games in the Koma collections) and many have .cfg files.

about 200+ games in all. Every major game I can think of is on the .ZIP and then some.

If a game not in .zip just ask and i'll make a new one.

400minV3.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:30 PM, hloberg said:

Looks like we have stepped through all the games that I have found have problems except:

Satan's Hallow - seems to have issues with the keyboard.

Dave's Midnight Magic - same issues as Satan's Hallow

Try these.

Satan's Hollow.rom

Davids Midnight Magic [XEGS].rom

David's Midnight Magic 2 [Williams].rom

Same as above with cart-type extensions.

Satan's Hollow.c02

Davids Midnight Magic.c13

David's Midnight Magic 2.c08

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrFish said:

Try these.

Satan's Hollow runs ... you just can't start it (doesn't respond to the trigger).

That's been the case for the 9 versions I've tried; all run, none let you start the game.  Yet ALL work with either Atari800MacX or Altirra.

Appreciate the effort all the same!

• Like 1

Can someone try a 2-player game of Gauntlet? It works fine with one player, but with two players I get some graphical glitches.

I have forced PAL in the CFG file at the moment, I might try just keeping it NTSC next (but it is a PAL game afaik.

12 hours ago, MrFish said:

Here, try this one.

Thanks, again, but still no go - with the same deal ... loads, and then sits there taunting you with the flashing "Press Trigger to Start ..." and then doesn't respond to ANY input.

I'm not that bothered about it; it works on my other emulators and isn't part of what I'd consider my "core" 400 experience.

I'm working on a little tool to fingerprint and identify images (disks, carts, files), so its possible to a) build a matrix of which versions work on which emulators b) what settings are needed where, c) auto-configure them for various platforms ... which will make it possible to just look at the fingerprint to know if you've tried a specific copy/file.  Should have the first version, which also has some other functionality (directory splitting, media ID, bulk 400 Mini .CFG generation etc), up in the first half of this week.

1 hour ago, Torq said:

Thanks, again, but still no go - with the same deal ... loads, and then sits there taunting you with the flashing "Press Trigger to Start ..." and then doesn't respond to ANY input.

I'm not that bothered about it; it works on my other emulators and isn't part of what I'd consider my "core" 400 experience.

I'm working on a little tool to fingerprint and identify images (disks, carts, files), so its possible to a) build a matrix of which versions work on which emulators b) what settings are needed where, c) auto-configure them for various platforms ... which will make it possible to just look at the fingerprint to know if you've tried a specific copy/file.  Should have the first version, which also has some other functionality (directory splitting, media ID, bulk 400 Mini .CFG generation etc), up in the first half of this week.

same with hardball.

On 4/8/2024 at 5:41 PM, MrFish said:

The manual says this "...extension of .c##, where ## gives the correct cartridge type number. For example .c02". But where do we find these numbers, like the .c29 extension you posted. I have four 2600 cartridges with the .bin extension. I either get the self test screen, the ATARI COMPUTER - MEMO PAD screen, or a colourful Atari logoscreen  with 'COPYRIGHT ATARI 19 ' at the bottom if I choose a .C00 extension and select 5200 as the target machine. I've only tried up to .C06 but thought I'd see what you could tell me before I went any further.

Edited by billy58

40 minutes ago, billy58 said:

I have four 2600 cartridges with the .bin extension.

"2600 cartridges"?? Are you speaking of 2600 games that have been ported to run on the 8-bit computers (or 5200), or are you talking about actual ROM files that run on an Atari 2600 or 2600 emulator (like Stella). If it's the latter, these are never going to work from The400 Mini, because it doesn't have the capability to emulate an Atari 2600 and run any of the game ROM's from that system.

40 minutes ago, billy58 said:

The manual says this "...extension of .c##, where ## gives the correct cartridge type number. For example .c02". But where do we find these numbers, like the .c29 extension you posted.

Cartridge-type numbers for 8-bit computer and 5200 ROM files can be found in the document I'm attaching here. The document I have is from 11/22/2021, which should be current. I forget where I downloaded it from exactly; probably in a thread on the 8-bit computer forum here. I'll search to see if I can locate where the updated docs are being deposited.

In the first column of the table in this document, labelled "Id", are the two numbers needed for the ".c##" extension. I'd imagine single digit ID numbers need a leading "0" (zero); but I'm not 100% sure on that, as I don't own a 400 Mini to test it on.

CAR File Format (11-22-2021).txt

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MrFish said:

"2600 cartridges"?? Are you speaking of 2600 games that have been ported to run on the 8-bit computers (or 5200), or are you talking about actual ROM files that run on an Atari 2600 or 2600 emulator (like Stella). If it's the latter, these are never going to work from The400 Mini, because it doesn't have the capability to emulate an Atari 2600 and run any of the game ROM's from that system.

Yeah I just assumed the mini ran everything from 2600 up to the 130- yeah, I don't know now why I thought that either (hey! stop that laughing at the back😄). Pity, as I preferred the 2600 version of Battlezone. Still thanks a lot for the cartridge info.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:33 PM, billy58 said:

Yeah I just assumed the mini ran everything from 2600 up to the 130- yeah, I don't know now why I thought that either (hey! stop that laughing at the back😄). Pity, as I preferred the 2600 version of Battlezone. Still thanks a lot for the cartridge info.

Actually, you're not the first person who's thought that. This only emulates the Atari 8-bit computers and the Atari 5200. The reason the Atari 5200 is included is because it's easy for an emulator to add 5200 support because both of these systems have very similar internal hardware. Therefore 5200 support is included with most (if not all) Atari 8-bit computer emulators.

A nice bunch of 2600 games have been ported to the 8-bit computers. Here's a zip of all those games.

2600 for 8-bit Computers.zip

2600 for 8-bit Computers - Games List

Adventure

Barnstorming

Combat

Cosmic Ark

Enduro

Fast Food

Fishing Derby

Freeway

Frostbite

Midnight Magic

Miniature Golf

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Seaquest

Stampede

StarMaster

Tennis

[Edit]

Added one missing game: StarMaster

(Thanks to @Philsan for catching the omission.)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, billy58 said:

O.K, thanks for the zip.

Yeah, no problem. Check them out. They're made to play just like the original 2600 games, with no enhancements to the graphics or sounds (except a few minor graphics tweaks on a few of them).

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, no problem. Check them out. They're made to play just like the original 2600 games, with no enhancements to the graphics or sounds (except a few minor graphics tweaks on a few of them).

Thanks for posting these - I have not seen these before.

Is there a post somewhere about how these came to be?

On 4/16/2024 at 9:05 PM, LS650 said:

Thanks for posting these - I have not seen these before.

Is there a post somewhere about how these came to be?

Actually, there are basically threads for each game as it was released; but, most of the games were done either by @phaeron (the author of the emulator Altirra) or @glurk (hence the name "GlurkVision" in his 2600 games, where you'd normally see ActiVision). Miniature Golf was done by @playsoft (coder for AtariBlast, Scramble, and some other notable 8-bit games). Enduro was ported by @Vin_the_2600_Man.

The original 2600 games were either disassembled, or the 2600 source code was available, and they were used as the basis for the 8-bit versions -- which is why they play so much like the originals. You can search for any of the specific games on the main 8-bit computer forum to find out more details about how they went about porting the 2600 code over. In the case of @phaeron's ports, he's provided his commented source code for the finished ports in each thread. Source code may have been posted for some of the other ports too (I don't recall for sure right now).

Ports done by @phaeron are:

Adventure

Combat

Cosmic Ark

Midnight Magic

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Seaquest

Stampede

Ports done by @glurk are:

Barnstorming

Fast Food

Fishing Derby

Freeway

Frostbite

StarMaster

Tennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, iamscuba2 said:

I have no sound when playing Q-Bert

Odd.  I was playing Qbert last night and the sound was working.  

PM me and I can tell you more.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Philsan said:

@MrFish I think Starmaster is missing from the list of 2600 games.

Thanks. You're right. That one slipped through the cracks. I have a copy of it; but it hadn't been added to my main games collection yet. I'll see if I can edit my post to include it in the zip archive I posted.

[Edit]

StarMaster has been added to the zip archive posted above.

• Thanks 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:00 PM, MrFish said:

Is there a trick to getting the .rom files to play? The .xex versions work although sometimes I have to change to 800XL or 130XE to get them to run right. However, the rom for Fast Food goes to Memo Pad if machine type is 400, but goes to a Self Test screen if set to 130XE. I also tried changing the .rom to .c02, with the same result (I have no idea if this is a cartridge image that needs a change like this).