IGNORED

Games that currently don't seem to work on the 400 mini

hloberg

3 hours ago, Eisengrim said:

Is there a trick to getting the .rom files to play? The .xex versions work although sometimes I have to change to 800XL or 130XE to get them to run right. However, the rom for Fast Food goes to Memo Pad if machine type is 400, but goes to a Self Test screen if set to 130XE. I also tried changing the .rom to .c02, with the same result (I have no idea if this is a cartridge image that needs a change like this).

I don't own The400 Mini; so, someone who does will have to comment on their experience running them. The ROM files are all just standard Atari 8-bit computer 8KB ROM's; so they should be dead easy to run with any decent emulator. The cart-type extension should .c01, though; .c02 would be for 16KB ROM's.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I don't own The400 Mini; so, someone who does will have to comment on their experience running them. The ROM files are all just standard Atari 8-bit computer 8KB ROM's; so they should be dead easy to run with any decent emulator. The cart-type extension should .c01, though; .c02 would be for 16KB ROM's.

That did the trick, thanks for the explanation!

I made a video of PCUAE Atari 8bit Mode on THE400 Mini so you can see how a game runs in the Atari 800 Emulator 4.2.0, I am playing Donkey Kong in it and so you know you have alternative to the built-in emulator.

Enjoy... :)

• Like 1

The Atari800 emulator does not support the Atari 7800, it only suports the Atari 8bit line, you would need Retroarch and its Pro System libretro core for that, only console that supports it is the Atari2600 Plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanner said:

The Atari800 emulator does not support the Atari 7800, it only suports the Atari 8bit line, you would need Retroarch and its Pro System libretro core for that, only console that supports it is the Atari2600 Plus.

Yeah I just re-read the ad.

So the 5200 console but not the 7800, which is 8 bit, pity - thanks!

9 minutes ago, MrFish said:

BTW... has anyone tried Missile Command+ yet?

Funnily enough, I was playing it last night.

I thought having the three bases, along with the game automatically selecting the closest base to shoot from, would make it a bit easier ... but based on my scores so far, I'm doing worse than on the regular version.  I think I'm too used to not having to pay attention to protecting anything but the central cities and single silo in the later stages of the game (otherwise you lose a good chunk of your missiles) right now.  Which is a bit odd, since on the arcade version, with a trackball and three independent fire buttons, I do much better.

It's very cool, all the same.

2 minutes ago, Torq said:

I thought having the three bases, along with the game automatically selecting the closest base to shoot from, would make it a bit easier ... but based on my scores so far, I'm doing worse than on the regular version.

Yeah, more arcade-like doesn't necessarily always mean easier, or even more fun, for that matter.

I was messing around to hack the airplane into something that looks a little more like the arcade (never liked how Atari rendered it on the 8-bit computers). Nothing difficult, but I think I just need to locate the playfield graphic of it (for when it gets shot); I already hacked the player-missile graphic graphic of it in the game.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, more arcade-like doesn't necessarily always mean easier, or even more fun, for that matter.

I don't know if it's less "fun" ... but it's a welcome alternative ... even if I'm, at best, doing 2/3rds my "regular" (8-bit) Missile Command score on it so far.

I think Missile Command was the second cartridge game I got for my original Atari 800 (the first was "Star Raiders" ... unless my memory is scrambled), so it is a bit "special" for me.  I even bought the CX80 "Trak-Ball" for it, though that was a couple of years later.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

I was messing around to hack the airplane into something that looks a little more like the arcade (never liked how Atari rendered it on the 8-bit computers). Nothing difficult, but I think I just need to locate the playfield graphic of it (for when it gets shot); I already hacked the player-missile graphic graphic of it in the game.

That'll be nice to see.

There was a fun little tool I used to use for such things, I think it was called "CASSIVER", though I can't find it anymore, which was an monitor/assembler/editor program (default background color was red, if that helps).  Though most of my "real" 8-bit code was done first on Atari's "Assembler/Editor" cartridge, and then on Mac/65 (hence the profile pic).

29 minutes ago, Torq said:

I think Missile Command was the second cartridge game I got for my original Atari 800 (the first was "Star Raiders" ... unless my memory is scrambled), so it is a bit "special" for me.  I even bought the CX80 "Trak-Ball" for it, though that was a couple of years later.

I didn't have Missile Command back in the day. So, it was a good find (among so many others) when I returned to the hobby. I've also had a few CX80's (and ST Mice) for playing it.

That'll be nice to see.

I have quite a few hacks (often unfinished) strewn all over this forum (and a few for the 2600), which basically target various graphic weaknesses of the originals. For instance, this fix of Parker Brothers' Q*bert for the 8-bit computers, in which the original has this mixed-up thing going on with his feet and legs. It just seems like someone was in a hurry creating the graphics for it. I like playing Q*bert a lot; so, it was partly a sanity hack, to allow me to play without seeing the stupidity every time. After I hacked his legs, I continued on with various other graphic shortcomings in the game.

Here's the thread. There are quite a few versions posted along the way; so, you'll need to go towards the end to find the most-recent one.

Q-Bert - Fixed Feet/legs

I should probably consolidate links and/or files for all my hacks into one thread.

There was a fun little tool I used to use for such things, I think it was called "CASSIVER", though I can't find it anymore, which was an monitor/assembler/editor program (default background color was red, if that helps).

Never heard of that one. I've used Atari-native tools for hacking in recent years, but I mostly use PC-based tools for everything at this point.

• Like 1