IGNORED

Label Replacement acceptable or verboten?

MrChickenz

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Good questions. Some I purchased online look great as far as artwork and fonts is concerned. Although I noticed background color on some is a bit off. 

And some labels seem a bit thin compared to originals but pretty durable.

And some labels are spot on I can’t see a difference.

These are a few I made just for Activision. I have a double set of Activison carts that I purchased over time. I made sure to get ones with torn or bad labels. I like the artwork on the labels 

IMG_0065.jpeg

These look exactly like the ones I made for my Actiplaque label carts about 12 years ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

These look exactly like the ones I made for my Actiplaque label carts about 12 years ago.

Ha!Ha! I just Googled Actiplaque it took me back to AtariAge! I thought that’s what you ment. But for a second I’m thinking what are Actiplaque carts and where can I get some 🤣😂😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Ha!Ha! I just Googled Actiplaque it took me back to AtariAge! I thought that’s what you ment. But for a second I’m thinking what are Actiplaque carts and where can I get some 🤣😂😄

I wasn’t the only one wondering, there’s a thread for it 😆😆😆

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Great topic.

Question for me is how close to the original label are the repros? 

Two main things spring to mind, firstly, how close is the artwork, fonts, placement of text to the original and secondly what is the finish of the label like, the paper thickness and finish.

Personally, I try and find replacements that are as close to original as possible. I’m not looking to put my own spin on things, though i applaud those that do. 

In rare cases, I’ve found subtle differences that I like better than original. Things like glossy or matte finish, thicker labels, or just a higher quality looking label. 

In the end, my goal is for it to look like new and reset the counter.  👍🏼 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I wonder how close the original label was to the repro when it was first printed

This label I purchased online. I do notice some difference between the two so it’s not identical but it is very close, clean and vibrant. 
Now I see Luke Skywalker! I thought it was Hans Solo! Lol! I had to use the Force to get the old label off.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

This label I purchased online. I do notice some difference between the two so it’s not identical but it is very close, clean and vibrant. 
Now I see Luke Skywalker! I thought it was Hans Solo! Lol! I had to use the Force to get the old label off.

Reading the thread I think that if I was a collector I'd get two copies, keep one for the original patina and one I'd have on show with a repro perfect label.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 12:24 PM, MrChickenz said:

Whats your opinion?

Oh man... you do not know what you're asking. Here goes...

For one... what is your goal in collecting them? I think most game hoarders collectors have a fantasy of opening a game museum in the future. Some do, some die of heart disease and most of their games find their way to a dumpster after the estate sale, and others eventually realize it's not what they want and blow them out on eBay.

I came to at least one of those conclusions many years ago... but not after I individually wrapped every single one of my Atari 2600 games in a special plastic bag, and then placed them in two large Tupperware bins. At least I did that in the top one.

IMG_6251.thumb.JPG.cd6815f200de5c8b2918d1fba1efe6c0.JPG

Eventually it occurred to me that if I wanted to actually play all... 220 games? I'd have to take them out of the plastic bags.

So clearly... what you need to do here is... buy duplicates of everything, and keep the nice one wrapped, and the shitty one to play.

No! Sorry... scratch that. Figure out what your goal is... do you want to play these games... or are you just collecting them / so you can look at them fondly?

If you want to play them, and the labels are already trashed, you're only making it better by replacing them (my opinion). 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

For one... what is your goal in collecting them? I think most game hoarders collectors have a fantasy of opening a game museum in the future. Some do, some die of heart disease and most of their games find their way to a dumpster after the estate sale, and others eventually realize it's not what they want and blow them out on eBay.

I came to at least one of those conclusions many years ago... but not after I individually wrapped every single one of my Atari 2600 games in a special plastic bag, and then placed them in two large Tupperware bins. At least I did that in the top one.

Eventually it occurred to me that if I wanted to actually play all... 220 games? I'd have to take them out of the plastic bags.

So clearly... what you need to do here is... buy duplicates of everything, and keep the nice one wrapped, and the shitty one to play.

No! Sorry... scratch that. Figure out what your goal is... do you want to play these games... or are you just collecting them / so you can look at them fondly?

If you want to play them, and the labels are already trashed, you're only making it better by replacing them (my opinion). 

That’s great! @82-T/A I guess there are different kinds of collectors. As for me I collect to play. I’m enjoying games today that I didn’t get to experience back in the day. Last year I found a copy of Gravitar online new sealed CIB. As soon as I received it I opened it up and started playing. I only paid 25.00 for it. I did purchase a clear plastic protective box to preserve it. Afterwards I read some where not to leave games in the sealed plastic wrap because it crushes the box. So I do try to preserve what I have but I’m all about playing these games!

Thanks for your input. I really enjoyed your take on the subject 

Wow, those m network carts look amazing with label art. Never thought of that, but they do have plenty of space for such labels, and look great.

Yeah I was thinking mostly of actiplaque, which is mostly an Activision thing, though missing ends on atari first party are common, some of mine have wear marks from fingers or thumbs touching the label while inserting or removing.

Never been to concerned with standard wear, as long as it doesn't look bad. Part of the charm for physical media is you can visibly see the love, so to speak.

Those relabeled Activision look great btw, day one freshness you probably wouldn't even get opening a brand new nos game today even.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

That’s great! @82-T/A I guess there are different kinds of collectors. As for me I collect to play. I’m enjoying games today that I didn’t get to experience back in the day. Last year I found a copy of Gravitar online new sealed CIB. As soon as I received it I opened it up and started playing. I only paid 25.00 for it. I did purchase a clear plastic protective box to preserve it. Afterwards I read some where not to leave games in the sealed plastic wrap because it crushes the box. So I do try to preserve what I have but I’m all about playing these games!

Thanks for your input. I really enjoyed your take on the subject 

Hahah... sorry, that was both a serious and sarcastic response at the same time. Really... I'd only replace a label if it's really trashed. But I can't imagine that anyone would be upset (or that you shoudl be concerned) if you're replacing it with a nice quality replacement. I've become like you, as a collector. I do still have all those games in the picture above (and they're still wrapped), but I intend to take them out and actually just enjoy the games. I'm not concerned with "collecting" anymore. I sold off a lot of the stuff I have, and now just keep the things I think I'll actually play.

But to each their own, and I'm not judging... it's just for me, my priorities changed and I just don't have the space. But my 2600 games, I'll never get rid of. That's my childhood!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Video said:

Never been to concerned with standard wear, as long as it doesn't look bad. Part of the charm for physical media is you can visibly see the love, so to speak.

Exactly! Gives it that classic look! I still have all of my original carts so the wear on them is from my playing. Kind of nostalgic. Some I’ve relabeled because they didn’t hold up well.

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

And if you're collecting them for the purpose of waiting until they gain value so you can profit on someone else's lack of impulse control, then you leave the shitty old label how it is, because in some completely irrational way, the price gougers have convinced the lost souls who can't help themselves that "shitty original condition" = high value.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1