IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Ethernet Cartridge

Albert

I experimented with a home-made SIO2Ethernet bridge. It's possible, but the polling overhead for SIO really makes it very impractical. Some kind of direct hardware is needed, such as a cartridge that has a 1-2k byte mapped memory buffer on the atari side and an ethernet chip on the other side.

The CS8900a chip I am using has an internal buffer of 4K that the atari can read. It is not directly memory mapped, but you can read/write it via a 16 byte memory hole.

Having teh CS8900a directly mapped works great and faster than via the SIO bus.

The CS8900a chip I am using has an internal buffer of 4K that the atari can read. It is not directly memory mapped, but you can read/write it via a 16 byte memory hole.

The streaming registers are way faster and easier to use.

From my C64 + CS8900A experience: 20 kB/s is quite easy to achive via UDP/IP.

I experimented with a home-made SIO2Ethernet bridge. It's possible, but the polling overhead for SIO really makes it very impractical. Some kind of direct hardware is needed, such as a cartridge that has a 1-2k byte mapped memory buffer on the atari side and an ethernet chip on the other side.

Cyber, can you describe what the hardware is like? Specifically, how could the atari read the memory? I'd like to mess with it some as long as I don't have to pick up a soldering gun....I don't do hardware very well.

Cyber, can you describe what the hardware is like? Specifically, how could the atari read the memory? I'd like to mess with it some as long as I don't have to pick up a soldering gun....I don't do hardware very well.

There are 3 ways to access a packet:

- You can use the Packet Page Pointer to set a register/RAM address and then the Packet Page Data register for reading/writing data. The Packet is located at address $0400++, but only the first few bytes allow random access. Later bytes need to be accessed linear. This method is quite slow because you have to set the 16 bit address for every 16 bit data.

- You can use the DMA of the CS8900A, but this is not available in 8 bit mode, so for XL this is no option.

- Finally, there are streaming registers where you just have to read or write packet data without caring for CS8900A memory addresses or stuff like that. This is the fastest and easiest method.

Anyone have a cached copy of the Ethernet Cartridge site? It appears to be dead now.

Try looking at my signature lines below under 8-bit Ethernet ... :)

I have more information, but I need to dust off the cobwebs from this project... more to come...

Here is the schematic:

a8ether.gif

Edited by Cybernoid

From my C64 + CS8900A experience: 20 kB/s is quite easy to achive via UDP/IP.

Yeah, I think I maxed out around 40kB/s during a ping test at the Texas Instruments Ethernet Lab (where I was working at the time)...

Of course, my boss was wondering why there was a 130XE connected to the test equipment... :)

Cybernoid,

I bought one of these boards while they were available. I would be happy to hook it up if you need help testing.

post-9166-1197821214_thumb.jpg

The company now sells a more stand-alone ethernet board that may be of interest to look at:

http://www.edtp.com/

Yup. I have looked at the board in the past too. Okay, let me take some time to revive this project. It will most likely being after the holidays before I can recompile it, but I'll let you guys know. Unfortunately, my hardware for this is currently in Austin, but I am in Dallas right now, so it may be awhile before I can test the software on my hardware, so it will definitely be helpful to have you as a tester. Thanks!

Cyber, I don't suppose you have any of those carts around that you would be willing to sell?

Well, I have 2 built... basically one is for duplicity just in case I zap one... I can part with it possibly in a few months...

Yup. I have looked at the board in the past too. Okay, let me take some time to revive this project. It will most likely being after the holidays before I can recompile it, but I'll let you guys know. Unfortunately, my hardware for this is currently in Austin, but I am in Dallas right now, so it may be awhile before I can test the software on my hardware, so it will definitely be helpful to have you as a tester. Thanks!

Cool. I will PM you my contact info. Just let me know when you are ready. The holidays will have me pretty busy too for the next 2 weeks.

Does that mean using the latest release (2.1)?

http://www.cc65.org/mailarchive/2007-12/5922.html

Yeah, I am looking at it. I know that there are significant changes but it is time to update. But, this means probably hacking the code base to fit... I am still in the investigation phase...

• 1 month later...
Will this work with various installed upgrades like: RAMBO, MIO, Blackbox, MyIDE?

Yes, the ethernet hardware is currently mapped to $d500-$d510. However, the software is configurable, so you can remap the software to a different address space to match your configuration. Basically the hardware just needs to be mapped somewhere... ;)

Has anyone ever looked at the Rabbit microprocessor modules as an option? (http://www.rabbit.com/products/rcm2200/index.shtml) With 128K RAM and 256K Flash onboard on the low-end device (which is $55 per unit), it would seem an attractive option.

Very cool! If we can write an driver in 6502 assembly to access the ethernet packets via the GPIO lines, or have the 6502 talk to the microprocessor on this board to read and write packets, then the other "internet" applications can be ported quite easily... :)

Any progress?

Yes! Thanks to great help during beta testing, we have made progress with the telnet client, the telnet server and the http server. Still some issues to work out with packet checksums and need to add some features, but all in all the progress is great using the Contiki 2.1 code base.

I'll let everyone know when we are ready for a decent release of internet tools.

--C--

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Good luck! It would be nice to see Contiki developed more for the Atari 8bit. Last time I checked around I couldn't locate disk images or anything really.

Yes! Thanks to great help during beta testing, we have made progress with the telnet client, the telnet server and the http server. Still some issues to work out with packet checksums and need to add some features, but all in all the progress is great using the Contiki 2.1 code base.

I'll let everyone know when we are ready for a decent release of internet tools.

--C--

Any progress?

--C--

Outstanding!

Can you PM me when someone will be making a run?

Great! Good luck! It would be nice to see Contiki developed more for the Atari 8bit. Last time I checked around I couldn't locate disk images or anything really.

The Contiki 1.0 sources and disk images have been available for a while (link has been in my signature about since I joined AtariAge. However.... these disk images could not do much more besides ping and lock up occasionally during Telnet. :roll:

Anyway, I finally have some time to work on it again and have been working out the details with the Contiki 2.1 source code.

BTW did somebody run Contiki with the Lantronix?

Not yet. This will have to wait for a while. I want to work out the changes needed to the source code for the existing Ethernet cart, then go back and modify the code to work with the Lantronix since the TCP/IP stack will need to be stripped out and a new mechanism for delevering the data to the telnet and web clients will have to be hashed out. Thus, having Contiki running with the Lantronix is not outside the realm of possiblities, it just will take more time...

Outstanding! Can you PM me when someone will be making a run?

Yes, I can. There is a lot of work to do so, as with all of the hobby projects, it will take time. But, I assure the general Atari public that this project is not dead. Not in the least!