IGNORED

Warnings about Malware when downloading some File Attachments

Albert

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

With Chrome I've solved the problem with those three steps (sorry for Italian language):

Chrome-1.png.41fb7b17b3a5043cc52e2d2d6ba4cf9a.png

Chrome-2.png.68ea2b7f428e54a1f733dcd515dccd43.png

Chrome-3.thumb.png.03181854a7965d5697d3a7794b4eca23.png

Strange, this doesn't work for me, even restarted Chrome, but it still blocks the download. 

Alternatively, in Chrome, if you open the "Downloads" tab, you can click on the 3 dots (...) and manually click "Download Dangerous file."

This option used to be available in the quick access menu, I'm not sure when they moved it...

chrome_download.thumb.png.5631f80ff85cd087136b0850b2490668.png

This method is a minor inconvenience, but it's probably better than lowering your security settings.

I checked a few of the config settings in Firefox and the one that is triggering the blocked downloads is browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.block_dangerous_host. Google's Safe Browsing dashboard seems to indicate that the base invisioncic.com domain is flagged for unsafe downloads:

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=invisioncic.com

• Like 1

I did some more testing, and with my second release on AtariAge, I noticed something, I attached to zip files, one was made with latest WinRar v7.00 with nothing but 'text' files in it, and the other larger one complete with binaries, and object code, and etc. i made just using the default windows 10 sent to compressed folder, and guess what that file downloads file with no warning from any browser, but the WinRar smaller text only zip, still comes up with a warning, and I think that is because browsers are checking the PK ZIP header itself, and some versions have been flagged as 'security risk', so it seems it is best not to use WinRar even the latest version.

13 hours ago, Alp said:

Alternatively, in Chrome, if you open the "Downloads" tab, you can click on the 3 dots (...) and manually click "Download Dangerous file."

When you download something in chrome does not a little download icon appear to the right of the address bar that you can click on and so a similar thing, or does that only apper once a download has completed?

Someone in a previous post asked it there was a list of "dangerous" extensions, I am sure there will be somewhere, but not one you could access.

I had a similar issue at work, uploaded files to a networked drive without issue, then uploaded a newer versions overwriting the original files and my user account was blocked for suspicous activitly all because one of the extentions I was using created a file type that is often used/exploited by hackers and the change to it resulted in it being flagged.

Thus I would suspect that .bin files are/have been similarly exploited by hackers which is why they are now being flagged as potentially dangerous.

9 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

When you download something in chrome does not a little download icon appear to the right of the address bar that you can click on and so a similar thing, or does that only apper once a download has completed?

The icon still appears when the download is blocked, but like I mentioned in my previous post, the option to keep the "Dangerous" file, has been moved to the Downloads tab, itself. It's been completely removed from that little pop-up.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:21 PM, Alp said:

@Trebor posted on Sunday CTRL-J accesses the Downloads Tab, this solution does work

• Like 2

At least I know what happened to me last week. 

I had it happen when I tried to download a Zipfile of CV public domain games from the site. 

I think I want with Edge. And I had no problem with Safari on my iPad. I will have to try the override solution shown. 

This might be a good time to inform or remind people that all forms of adblocking will stop working in Chrome in less than two months, so you might want to switch to Firefox anyway instead of wasting time trying to get Chrome to download .bin files.

(Yeah, ironic that Chrome blocks claims the things you want to download are spam and malware and forces you to go around it, but will soon refuse to let you block spam and malware as long as they're served in the form of ads)

Edited by Raiu
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Raiu said:

This might be a good time to inform or remind people that all forms of adblocking will stop working in Chrome in less than two months, so you might want to switch to Firefox anyway instead of wasting time trying to get Chrome to download .bin files.

(Yeah, ironic that Chrome blocks claims the things you want to download are spam and malware and forces you to go around it, but will soon refuse to let you block spam and malware as long as they're served in the form of ads)

I'm glad I switched away from Chrome to Firefox a while ago!

..Al

3 hours ago, Raiu said:

This might be a good time to inform or remind people that all forms of adblocking will stop working in Chrome in less than two month...

Where did you get this?

If you should refer to Googles manifest V3: It will "only" reduce efficiency of adblocking. Which is bad enough.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1