IGNORED

MORTAL KOMBAT Atari Jaguar Pre-Alpha AVAILABLE NOW!

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Really, who said that?

Seriously, we have a solid port of Primal Rage, plus fighters like Kasumi Ninja and Ultra Vortek, so MK was always in the realm of possibility IMO. 

• Like 4

It's an early alpha and it's Mortal Kombat on the Jaguar! This alone is a major achievement.

However, getting rid of the many issues will take another huge effort by the programmer. Keeping fingers crossed. 

What makes me worry the most is performance. The Object Processor already waves the white flag, tearing apart the screen top when there is an uppercut move. 

Also, the jump kicks and mid air rolls are noticably choppy compared to other versions. There is no AI yet, so lets hope it does not choke up everything. 

Still alot of work. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Really, who said that?

It happened during an argument a very long time ago, so I can’t honestly remember who said it. I believe the argument was about the Jaguar’s Object Processor, and how it wasn’t strong enough (or too buggy) to pull off a good port of Mortal Kombat.

53 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

It happened during an argument a very long time ago, so I can’t honestly remember who said it. I believe the argument was about the Jaguar’s Object Processor, and how it wasn’t strong enough (or too buggy) to pull off a good port of Mortal Kombat.

I think the exact sentence was rather that it would be difficult or even impossible to make a pixel perfect because of the insufficient RAM on the Jaguar and/or the insufficient speed of the cartridge port as well as the particularity of these display modes compared to the majority of 2D arcade games of the time (tile mode and very large CLUT)

Edited by DEATH
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DEATH said:

I think the exact sentence was rather that it would be difficult or even impossible to make a pixel perfect because of the insufficient RAM on the Jaguar and/or the insufficient speed of the cartridge port as well as the particularity of these display modes compared to the majority of 2D arcade games of the time (tile mode and very large CLUT)

Your memory is better than mine! Thank you for chiming in!

7 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I dont think a lot of people would agree to that ;)

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 9:08 PM, Clint Thompson said:

@trufun101 what are the character sizes pixelwise of the arcade vs DOS?

I found this on Reddit 

IMG_5768.thumb.jpeg.b822342a52dddaa00a59f1bc069bf4f0.jpeg

The sprite sizes vary slightly, based on the character, but in general the arcade sprites are 80x144 and the DOS sprites are 64x112.  Now that I've converted everything over to the DOS sprites, I actually prefer them.  It leaves more room for the fighters on-screen.

• Like 5

On 4/17/2024 at 1:11 AM, agradeneu said:

I dont think a lot of people would agree to that ;)

I don’t (and never will) agree with it. I always believed MK would be a killer app on the Jaguar. I’m glad it’s happening!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ColecoGamer said:

I don’t (and never will) agree with it. I always believed MK would be a killer app on the Jaguar. I’m glad it’s happening!

I did not agree with discarding the Jaguar Object Processor, being not capable enough. 

And of course, I appreciate and support the effort to bring MK to the Jag!

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I was too; I never believed it wasn’t capable. Tru is proving it’s a capable processor/chip!

Iam sure, that the more Tru learns about the Jaguar, the better MK will improve on its way to completion. 

Also, remember it runs on Jagstudio, proving the potential of those software tools ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 6

Just now, agradeneu said:

Iam sure, that the more Tru learns about the Jaguar, the better MK will improve on its way to completion. 

I agree. I’m waiting for the finished version. I’m not sure if Tru will release it on cart, but if not, I’ll have a reason to buy a Game Drive.

3 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Enough good cannot be said about JagStudio.

It’s the 🐝 🐝 knees!

Except for certain goofballs that are wrong in every statement they make saying it doesn't use or show the Jag's full power :)  Fumes and all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...