IGNORED

New Games or Hacks???

Curt Vendel

I always wanted to see those same titles growing up. Mind you, I grew up deprived of an Atari 8-Bit till I bought my XE in 1996. I only got Rescue on Fractalus last Christmas and it's a beautiful game on the 8-bit platforms. If you cant get some of those titles on the 7800, the 8-Bit seems to be like the next best thing.

I always wanted to see those same titles growing up. Mind you, I grew up deprived of an Atari 8-Bit till I bought my XE in 1996. I only got Rescue on Fractalus last Christmas and it's a beautiful game on the 8-bit platforms. If you cant get some of those titles on the 7800, the 8-Bit seems to be like the next best thing.

Well, I have an 8-bit, but I'd still like to see some of these games on the 7800. :)

How about Millipede?  :)

If I recall correctly, a very early Atari internal doc listed Milipede as CX-7813

Curt

That's really interesting. The story I heard about 7800 Millipede is that Warner was considering it as one of the very early release titles, but Tramiel scratched this project and allowed Tengen to release it on the NES. Ofcourse, Nintendo had their nice little exclusivity policy at the time. I also have seen CX7813 as Jr. Pac-Man. The Millipede thing is really intriguing. I love this stuff lol.

Does anybody know any ex-Froggo employees? From all I know about Froggo it was more or less a one-man-band. I don't doubt Pyromania exists. Ive been told that there was a run of the cartridges made at one point but never shipped, but that is questionable to an extent. I just haven't had much luck stalking Froggo employees lately *shruggs*

I like to post an open question to Ferris. I had just looked at your list and you missed one. Back when Child World (toy store) was going out of bussiness. I went down there as they were running that going out of bussiness sale. I did but some 7800 carts there execpt one which they were sold out. The game was California Games for the 7800. I did ask a clerk there and he assured me that at one time they did have that game for the 7800. My question why is it not on your list?

Another game I just plain like to see is one I actually played. Pole Position 1 and I don't mean 2. It was at a flea market this dealer had this game set up and I played it, I even hit the reset button. When I asked huh? The dealer told me he created it. Which was obvious since the billboards in that game showed off Genesis and Neo Geo games. The only problem for me he wanted $100 for it. Since then the flea market closed and I cant find that same dealer.

The game was California Games for the 7800. I did ask a clerk there and he assured me that at one time they did have that game for the 7800. My question why is it not on your list?  

It is if you look towards the bottom of the rumor list. I can guarantee you a 7800 version of California Games does NOT exist (unless it's as a prototype).

Tempest

I like to post an open question to Ferris. I had just looked at your list and you missed one. Back when Child World (toy store) was going out of bussiness. I went down there as they were running that going out of bussiness sale. I did but some 7800 carts there execpt one which they were sold out. The game was California Games for the 7800. I did ask a clerk there and he assured me that at one time they did have that game for the 7800. My question why is it not on your list?

Easy. It doesnt exist. DracIsBack is right. EPYX published a version of California Games in the late 1980s that has very nice graphics for the 2600, and could play on the 7800, operating in 2600 mode. EPYX did what a lot of third party Atari developers did at the time, marketing nice 2600 titles as "FOR ATARI 2600 AND 7800 SYSTEMS" so it were to appear as if it were a 7800 game. And in reality it was. You could play it right on the 7800, no problem. It just didn't use the Maria chip technology and didn't harness the real power of the 7800. The California Games I have listed on my page is a version of the title that was underway at Atari during the last days of the 7800. Cali Games proved its self to be a wonderful title on the Atari formats first on the ST and then especially on the Lynx as the original pack-in title for that system. Atari had slated California Games to be ported to the 7800 and announced to the vendors to expect it for late 1991 or 1992. Nothing ever came. I seriously doubt work was started on this project beyond the conceptual stages. If it was, its on some hard drive somewhere out of the Lombard warehouse.

Bottom line is whatever clerk you dealt with back then was telling the truth. If he said that California Games was not for play on the 7800, he would be incorrect. That's like saying you cant play Ridge Racer I on PS2. You can, but the graphics are no where near what the PS2 can do. Thats why Sony has put out new versions of Ridge Racer specifically designed for the PS2

Another game I just plain like to see is one I actually played. Pole Position 1 and I don't mean 2. It was at a flea market this dealer had this game set up and I played it, I even hit the reset button. When I asked huh? The dealer told me he created it. Which was obvious since the billboards in that game showed off Genesis and Neo Geo games. The only problem for me he wanted $100 for it. Since then the flea market closed and I cant find that same dealer.

Okay that sounds questionable... but alot of these sorts of thigns do. I have a hard time buying into the idea that a flea market dealer developed his own 7800 title and no one has ever heard of it. Then again, stranger things have happened. If you say you actually played it, then we have to take you for your word. What was it like? Was it the fuji track? The primary reason there wasn't a Pole Position I on the 7800 is mainly because it was only the Fuji track, which was included in Pole Position II anyways, so there wasnt any point in it.

Good question though with California Games... it shows that someone is actually paying attention to what I put in that database. There is alot of mythology surrounding 7800 vaporware, so questions are bound to arise. Especially with titles such as "Bentley Bear in Q*Bert" etc.

Ferris - you and Tempest should get together with any screenshots you have. If there's something that's missing, it's a visual reprisentation of "prototypes".

That would be cool. Most of what I have is paperwork and notes Ive taken down from Atari employees and vendors that I hunted down and harassed until they cried uncle. It's been hard getting my hands on actual prototypes. The screenshots I have have gotten stale now that everyone has seen them. I have shots from KLAX, Rescue on Fractalus, Sky Fox, GATO, and Asteroids 3-D. In 1995 this was something to brag about but it is common now. Im trying desperately to get photos from the 1991 CES where Tramiel was showing off Electrocop. I can't find Julie Wade and no one else seems to have taken pictures that day. *shruggs*

Maybe Matt R. will suprise us with something we didn't see before =)

Maybe Matt R. will suprise us with something we didn't see before =)

Not likely, I don't have many 7800 prototypes (they're hard as hell to get). GATO was the only unreleased game I have and that has been made public (I was sent the prototype to get it working). I have prototypes for Karateka, Desert Falcon, Midnight Mutants, Touchdown Football, and Hat Trick, but they all look to be the final versions (Except for Hat Trick). I'll be putting up informational pages about them, but there's nothing new and shocking. I really haven't gotten into the 7800 much so my prototype knowledge in this area isn't as good as it is for something like the 5200.

However I'll provide what help I can to anyone who wants it. Feel free to PM me.

I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of Sky Fox...

Tempest

I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots of Sky Fox...

Tempest

Here ya go...

skyfox2.jpg

skyfox3.jpg

skyfox4.jpg

Those are off of my OLD website. Ill have some new ones for you in a few weeks. Doesn't look like much of anything new, but it is definately Sky Fox in action.

Ya know while I'm at it, let me post photographs of the prototype cartridge labels for the 7800. Actually, I don't know if I can honestly call these "prototypes" these are more like "early release" cartridges from Spring 1984 when Atari under Warner was developing the 7800 and getting ready for launch. There are very few of these cartridges floating around. The labels look just like the original 7800 box with the holoptic matrix on the aluminum label. These almost look holographic and are definately metallic in some way. The titles are self-explanitory. Enjoy!

84centipede.jpg

84digdug.jpg

84joust.jpg

84mspacman.jpg

Very, very, nice. 8)

Someone should contact Lance Ringquist and ask him what he's found on those TT hard drives from the Lombard site. He told me -- back in February, I believe -- that he had found a few unreleased 7800, Lynx, and 8-bit titles but hadn't yet had the opportunity to make a catalogue of everything he had found.

Very, very, nice.  8)  

Someone should contact Lance Ringquist and ask him what he's found on those TT hard drives from the Lombard site.

I speak with Lance on a daily basis. We are working on this issue right now. Lance is very adamant that he has 7800 titles on those drives, its just hard to see the tree thru the forest. I’m not allowed to say anything other than that.

Very, very, nice.  8)  

Someone should contact Lance Ringquist and ask him what he's found on those TT hard drives from the Lombard site.

I speak with Lance on a daily basis. We are working on this issue right now. Lance is very adamant that he has 7800 titles on those drives, its just hard to see the tree thru the forest. I’m not allowed to say anything other than that.

I can appreciate that, and I hope Lance finds a way to make a mint from those unreleased programs.

I wish I had saved my e-mails regarding the content of said drives. I was primarily interested in "lost" Lynx and 8-bit titles (e.g. Xenophobe) at the time, though, and didn't pry into the 7800 issue. Lance seemed to indicate that the majority of programs he had found (when I last e-mailed him) were for the 7800.

I do believe that Lance thought that he had found some of the titles mentioned in this thread and, I'm sure "Electrocop" and "Gauntlet" are on those drives -- somewhere. :)

I agree. I'd place a wager that he has a lot more than he realizes on those drives. There have been some issues that have come up when trying to access the files though. Lance is very passionate about getting new software out. Thing is, its time consuming and very expensive. If he ever gets anything out of those hard drives, I guarantee you he will release the titles for sale on 7800 cartridges. Oh well, I will leave it to Lance to make announcements about what he has.

Nice answer Ferris, but your still WRONG! What I forget to mention on purpose was the POS advertizing. It seemed Child World used the same ones that Toys R Us used for the longest time where in they showed you images of that game and it was exactly the same as the SMS version of the game. I know the difference I own the 2600 version.

Heres another over the years since and before I was on the net I mad deals with two people both of them had 7800 California Games.

To the dealer and why he disappeard i think the copyright cops were after him.

Here is one that always stumped me. It was in the late '80s that I was taken down to Toys R Us by the way I had this bad cold. But I still remember this black and red 7800 cart box, for the life of me I can't remember the title any guess?

Nice answer Ferris, but your still WRONG! What I forget to mention on purpose was the POS advertizing. It seemed Child World used the same ones that Toys R Us used for the longest time where in they showed you images of that game and it was exactly the same as the SMS version of the game. I know the difference I own the 2600 version.

Look I don't know what you saw but it wasn't the 7800 version of California Games. It simply doesn't exist.

Heres another over the years since and before I was on the net I mad deals with two people both of them had 7800 California Game

No they didn't. It doesn't exist!

Tempest