IGNORED

New Games or Hacks???

Curt Vendel

Ok here's the 7800 list from the DP guide. I don't know how accurate it is, but it has some interesting titles:

CX-7801 Centipede

CX-7802 Asteroids

CX-7803 Dig Dug

CX-7804 Food Fight

CX-7805 Galaga

CX-7806 Joust

CX-7807 Ms. Pac-Man

CX-7808 Pole Position

CX-7809 Robotron

CX-7810 Xevious

CX-7811 Desert Falcon

CX-7812 Millipede

CX-7813 Jr. Pac-Man

CX-7814 Track & Field

CX-7815 Ballblazer

CX-7816 Rescue on Fractalus

CX-7817 Crystal Castles

CX-7818 Moon Patrol

CX-7819 Stargate

CX-7820

CX-7821 Choplifter

CX-7822 Karateka

CX-7823 Touchdown Football

CX-7824 One on One Basketball

CX-7825 Sky Fox

CX-7826 Summer Games

CX-7827 GATO

CX-7828 Super Huey UH-1X

CX-7829 Hat Trick

CX-7830 Sarge / Demolition Derby

CX-7831 Winter Games

CX-7832 Impossible Mission

CX-7833 Lode Runner

CX-7834 RealSports Baseball

CX-7835 Midnight Magic

CX-7836 Crack'ed

CX-7837 Dark Chambers

CX-7838 Commando

CX-7839 Atari Team Wrestling

CX-7840 Thunderfox

CX-7841 Chess

CX-7842 Sprint 88 / Sprintmaster

CX-7843 Super Soccer

CX-7844 Crossbow

CX-7845 F-16 Falcon

CX-7846 Ace of Aces

CX-7847 Mean 18

CX-7848 Donkey Kong

CX-7849 Donkey Kong Jr.

CX-7850 Mario Bros.

CX-7851 Fight Night

CX-7852 Super Stunt Cycle / MotoPsycho

CX-7853 Airball

CX-7854 Fatal Run

CX-7855 Alien Brigade

CX-7856 Tower Toppler

CX-7857 Jinks

CX-7858 Xenophobe

CX-7859 Barnyard Blaster

CX-7860 Shooting Arcade

CX-7861 California Games

CX-7862 Ikari Warriors

CX-7863 Mat Mania Challenge

CX-7864 White Water Madness

CX-7865 Deflektor

CX-7866 Eliminator

CX-7867 Time Lords of Xantac

CX-7868 Planet Smashers

CX-7869 Sentinel

CX-7870 Ninja Golf

CX-7871 Prince

CX-7872 Hell Raider

CX-7873 Star Breaker

CX-7874 Electrocop

CX-7875 Meltdown

CX-7876 UFO

CX-7877 Xenon

CX-7878 Capone

CX-7879 Scrapyard Dog

CX-7880 Basketbrawl / Hoop Wars

CX-7881 Nine Lives

CX-7882 Breakneck

CX-7883 Bandlands Pete

CX-7884 Fantasy Fight

CX-7885 Brute

CX-7886 Bouce Back

CX-7887 Black Lamp

CX-7888 Klax

CX-7889 Midnight Mutants

CX-7890 Nam Ninja

CX-7891 Pit Fighter

CX-7892 Rampart

CX-7893 Toki

CX-7894 Road Riot 4WD

CX-7895 Steel Talons

CX-7896 Alien Vs. Predator

CX-7897 Double Dragon

CX-7898 Rampage

Tempest

That list from the DP looks pretty familiar. I think they compiled a lot of that from a release list that was sent out sometime in 1990 or 1991. On the other hand, some of those titles look wayy off as far as what I have found in my studies over the past decade or so. But as is often said when it comes to 7800 vaporware...anything is possible.

Alien v. Predator sounds about right though. I hear about this title quite often, I just havent found any paperwork, nor have I had an employee *swear* that this title was slated for development. But there has been so much chatter about this title, I would bet money that it was underway.

Thanks for posting this list, Tempest. Gives us all an idea of what to hunt for!

CX-7812 Millipede  

CX-7813 Jr. Pac-Man  

CX-7814 Track & Field  

CX-7817 Crystal Castles  

CX-7818 Moon Patrol  

CX-7819 Stargate

I assume these are Warner planned titles that the Tramiels probably didn't pick up.

CX-7825 Sky Fox  

CX-7827 GATO

CX-7891 Pit Fighter  

OK - we know these were at least started even though they were never finished. As an aside, I was really looking forward to SKYFOX when I bought the 7800 (the graphics on the box were really cool for a console in 1987)

Anyone know what this is or was supposed to be?

CX-7833 Lode Runner  

CX-7835 Midnight Magic  

CX-7840 Thunderfox

CX-7853 Airball  

Available on the XEGS. Makes sense that they were considered.

Was this on the 2600 or planned? I seem to remember reading that.

CX-7839 Atari Team Wrestling  

CX-7841 Chess  

CX-7843 Super Soccer

First I've ever heard of any of these titles anywhere.

CX-7845 F-16 Falcon

I wonder if this was canned because of the unusually high number of Flight Simulation type games on the 7800. F-14 Tomcat, F-18 Hornet, Super Huey, Ace Of Aces ...

CX-7860 Shooting Arcade

This was a Nolan Bushnell/Axlon proposed title, wasn't it?

CX-7861 California Games

Would make sense as a plan, as Atari at that point was in a relationship with Epyx.

This was in a price list for Atari Canada and I think I remember it being discussed in the ATARIAN magazine. Not sure if I've ever seen a pic though.

CX-7865 Deflektor

Was this discussed in Atarian Magazine? Maybe it was the XE version. Did that one ever get released?

CX-7866 Eliminator  

CX-7871 Prince  

CX-7872 Hell Raider  

CX-7873 Star Breaker

CX-7878 Capone  

CX-7881 Nine Lives  

CX-7882 Breakneck  

CX-7883 Bandlands Pete  

CX-7884 Fantasy Fight  

CX-7885 Brute  

CX-7886 Bouce Back  

CX-7887 Black Lamp  

CX-7890 Nam Ninja  

Never heard of any of these. Anyone know what they were supposed to be about? Prince seems weird. "Prince Of Persia" maybe?

CX-7877 Xenon

Jetbook Jack - this was one of your Atari 8-bit titles, wasn't it? Was it also considered for 7800 released by Atari UK?

CX-7892 Rampart  

CX-7893 Toki  

CX-7894 Road Riot 4WD  

CX-7895 Steel Talons  

All Lynx titles. I remember in 1989, Atari held a developer's conference for the Lynx which also felt out interest in 7800 development. Perhaps those were on the roster as part of those meetings?

CX-7897 Double Dragon  

CX-7898 Rampage  

CX-7876 UFO

Was Atari planning on re-releasing the Activision titles, much as they had done on the 2600 with games like Donkey Kong?

Has anyone of you ever heard of "DUMPING". I first heard about this term when I contacted SEGA to get a walkthrogh for Ys SMS. I won't bore you with the details, But I had to talk with a senior game counselor. One who not only set me striaght about a boss in Ys. But told me about the practice of "DUMPING". By the way it also explains why Ninja Gaiden wound up only in Japan.

DUMPING

Sometimes when a company develops a title some times they will run off a batch of games. For test purposes only, and some of those are in turn sent off to the various gaming mags for review. But sometimes they are released to the stores but only in very small numbers.

The guy I talked to said there was a rumor in the gaming community thats what happend with Street Fighter 2 NES. That the game was made and released by Capcom. But only in SE Asia. This is what I think happend with California Games. Nobody can not tell me they haven't heard this rumor when it came to Nintendos Waterworld games. Which was set to be relesed on all of there systems at the time. I for 1 did see a review of the Virtula Boy game in a non Nintendo mag.

Anyone know what this is or was supposed to be?

I remember having Sarge as an old PC game. From what I remember, it was a bit like Armor Ambush except you had a jeep and a helicopter that you could switch between. Also the players played cooperative against the computer AI.

Mitch

Has anyone of you ever heard of "DUMPING". I first heard about this term when I contacted SEGA to get a walkthrogh for Ys SMS. I won't bore you with the details, But I had to talk with a senior game counselor. One who not only set me striaght about a boss in Ys. But told me about the practice of "DUMPING". By the way it also explains why Ninja Gaiden wound up only in Japan.  

DUMPING

Sometimes when a company develops a title some times they will run off a batch of games. For test purposes only, and some of those are in turn sent off to the various gaming mags for review. But sometimes they are released to the stores but only in very small numbers.  

The guy I talked to said there was a rumor in the gaming community thats what happend with Street Fighter 2 NES. That the game was made and released by Capcom. But only in SE Asia. This is what I think happend with California Games. Nobody can not tell me they haven't heard this rumor when it came to Nintendos Waterworld games. Which was set to be relesed on all of there systems at the time. I for 1 did see a review of the Virtula Boy game in a non Nintendo mag.

The only problem is that no one else besides you has heard of this game being released at all. And this includes several long time 7800 collectors.

As it stands, you have less evidence to support your claim than the guy who claimed to have Swordquest Airworld a while ago. You can't be suprised that people are sceptical if you don't provide any evidence for your claim.

Mitch

I remember having Sarge as an old PC game. From what I remember, it was a bit like Armor Ambush except you had a jeep and a helicopter that you could switch between. Also the players played cooperative against the computer AI.

Yep I remember this one too. I think it was an arcade game if I'm not mistaken. I think Demolition Derby got reassigned to Sarge's number or something.

CX-7812 Millipede  

CX-7813 Jr. Pac-Man  

CX-7814 Track & Field  

CX-7817 Crystal Castles  

CX-7818 Moon Patrol  

CX-7819 Stargate  

I assume these are Warner planned titles that the Tramiels probably didn't pick up.

Probably. Either they weren't complete enough to finish or they were never started.

Was this on the 2600 or planned? I seem to remember reading that.  

Yep Sprintmaster was released for the 2600. This is probably an updated version of it.

CX-7845 F-16 Falcon  

I wonder if this was canned because of the unusually high number of Flight Simulation type games on the 7800. F-14 Tomcat, F-18 Hornet, Super Huey, Ace Of Aces ...  

Probably. The 7800 seems to have an unusual number fo flight sims for an arcade console...

CX-7860 Shooting Arcade  

This was a Nolan Bushnell/Axlon proposed title, wasn't it?

Yes. A Prototype exists for the 2600 (and its darn good too).

This was in a price list for Atari Canada and I think I remember it being discussed in the ATARIAN magazine. Not sure if I've ever seen a pic though.  

Yes I believe so. No pic was ever shown.

CX-7866 Eliminator  

CX-7871 Prince  

CX-7872 Hell Raider  

CX-7873 Star Breaker  

CX-7878 Capone  

CX-7881 Nine Lives  

CX-7882 Breakneck  

CX-7883 Bandlands Pete  

CX-7884 Fantasy Fight  

CX-7885 Brute  

CX-7886 Bouce Back  

CX-7887 Black Lamp  

CX-7890 Nam Ninja  

Never heard of any of these. Anyone know what they were supposed to be about? Prince seems weird. "Prince Of Persia" maybe?

Eliminator may have been based on the arcade game, I'm not sure. Time Lords of Xantic was supposed to be a Legend of Zelda type game that never got started due to it requiring extra memory (too expensive).

The rest were being developed by Atari UK, so I assume they're ports of UK Atari 8-bit games.

CX-7892 Rampart  

CX-7893 Toki  

CX-7894 Road Riot 4WD  

CX-7895 Steel Talons  

All Lynx titles. I remember in 1989, Atari held a developer's conference for the Lynx which also felt out interest in 7800 development. Perhaps those were on the roster as part of those meetings?  

Strangely Rampart, Toki, and Steel Talons are all supposed to have been completed or nearly so. I think they were all being developed by Imagineering Inc.

CX-7897 Double Dragon  

CX-7898 Rampage  

CX-7876 UFO  

Was Atari planning on re-releasing the Activision titles, much as they had done on the 2600 with games like Donkey Kong?

Yes I believe so. I'm not sure where UFO came from, but I seem to remember some guy swearing he saw it once (probably along with California Games...)

DUMPING  

The guy I talked to said there was a rumor in the gaming community thats what happend with Street Fighter 2 NES. That the game was made and released by Capcom. But only in SE Asia. This is what I think happend with California Games.

Oh please do give it a rest would you? :roll:

Tempest

INKY - Dude, that's beautiful. It *almost* looks like it could be a real prototype. I'd like to see what else you can think up :D

Sometimes when a company develops a title some times they will run off a batch of games. For test purposes only, and some of those are in turn sent off to the various gaming mags for review. But sometimes they are released to the stores but only in very small numbers. .....  This is what I think happend with California Games. Nobody can not tell me they haven't heard this rumor when it came to Nintendos Waterworld games. Which was set to be relesed on all of there systems at the time. I for 1 did see a review of the Virtula Boy game in a non Nintendo mag.

Atari in those days did not operate like the rest of the video gaming companies. Just because Sega and Nintendo did something certainly does not mean that Jack Tramiel took Atari in the same direction.

But I'll tell ya what. I'm going to take a leap here and believe you. I know you are flat-out wrong, but I will believe you. I know what it's like to get a hold of something and not have people believe that you have it. That's why evidence plays such a significant role in the process of belief. I'm telling you that what you saw was the EPYX published title for the 2600 and 7800, as a 2600 title. Everybody here will stipulate that this game DOES exist and WAS shipped and sold on store shelves. I own two copies myself. But it's a 2600 game. Bottom line.

So I'll make you a deal. I'm going to believe you. In fact, I'm going to make you an offer you cant refuse. You are so adamant that there are published and released copies of California Games which was published *exclusively* for the 7800. You saw them yourself at that store. The clerk even told you. I happen to be doing pretty well for my age and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. If you can procure one of these 7800 California Games cartridges, complete with label, box, instructions, the whole deal, and it in fact is a version of California Games that only plays on the 7800 and was published by Atari, I will give you $2500.00 cash. Aww hell, let's just make it $2600.00 for Atari history sake. If you can get this title and prove to me that it is what you think it is, I'll buy that cartridge with box and documentation from you for that price. Hey, it's a great offer!

Anyway, I hope you can find it. I sure would love to have a copy of that game.

Ferris, just a quick note about your reference to Tengen.  I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think Tengen was a part of Atari Games rather than Atari Corp.  I pretty sure Tramiel didn't have any control over which platform they supported.

That's absolutely correct! I believe the name "Tengen" comes from the same game of GO, of which Nolan took the name "Atari" which essentially means checkmate, or prepare to be conquered.

The main purpose of Tengen was to allow Atari to put titles on the NES and get past their little rule of exclusivity. I believe both Tramiel and Warner had some stake in Tengen. Either way, what you said is right on the money.

Time Lords of Xantic was supposed to be a Legend of Zelda type game that never got started due to it requiring extra memory (too expensive).

Wonder if there were any plans or mockups done, prior to coding. It would be interesting to see what this was all about. Perhaps this was the game that was intended for Mitch's prototype 4 megabit 7800 cart.

Strangely Rampart, Toki, and Steel Talons are all supposed to have been completed or nearly so. I think they were all being developed by Imagineering Inc. 

For a fleeting second, I thought we might be able to find these games as I mistook Imagitec for Imagineering. LOL. Whatever happened to Absolute Entertainment/Imagineering? I assume they folded at some point. Given Imagineering's track record of "half ass" ports (see DOUBLE DRAGON and FIGHT NIGHT), I wasn't getting my hopes up as much as when I thought it was Imagitec doing the work. LOL