IGNORED

Dreadnought Assault (WIP)

• 4 months later...

Gorgeous and very challenging.  Even just the "Easy" difficulty setting is keeping me busy and humble.

The amount of enemies and variety to their appearance is insanely high with a ton of background eye candy.  Those (mini) bosses are great too; especially the ones that give me Space Harrier vibes.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 6:24 AM, playsoft said:

The next two levels have been added, along with various graphic updates.

A bonus round was added and subsequently removed since I wasn't happy with it; however one thing taken from that is the faster vertical movement which I think makes the game feel more fluid.

ttda_0.2.a78 128.13 kB · 83 downloads ttda_0.2.bin 128 kB · 39 downloads

Congrats in advance ! Keep on doing your best. I got till level 2.

Edited by ALEXANDER
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 7:24 AM, playsoft said:

The next two levels have been added, along with various graphic updates.

A bonus round was added and subsequently removed since I wasn't happy with it; however one thing taken from that is the faster vertical movement which I think makes the game feel more fluid.

ttda_0.2.a78 128.13 kB · 98 downloads ttda_0.2.bin 128 kB · 43 downloads

I am curious how you handled the graphics, the BG, and sprites. You seem to be able to draw an ample number of sprites in the foreground, even drawing large groups of sprites mixed with smaller ones, all while filling up the BG with tons of detailed graphics that look multi-layered! Super impressive!

Edited by KrunchyTC
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 4:42 PM, Trebor said:

Gorgeous and very challenging.  Even just the "Easy" difficulty setting is keeping me busy and humble.

The amount of enemies and variety to their appearance is insanely high with a ton of background eye candy.  Those (mini) bosses are great too; especially the ones that give me Space Harrier vibes.

Thanks. I should have said that the easy and hard options are just placeholders. I won't properly adjust them until I've sequenced all the levels. I'm not that great at games, so I'm trying to set the normal difficulty towards the top of my ability. 

On 9/24/2024 at 2:19 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

This looks amazing, though I am a bit concerned as a player that the background gets so busy at times that it will be hard to distinguish that from enemy elements.

The animations were toned down between the first release and the latest one. I don't think Harvey will want to reduce them any further.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ALEXANDER said:

Congrats in advance ! Keep on doing your best. I got till level 2.

In case you missed it, the right button will flip you round in the opposite direction.

8 hours ago, fandenivoldsk said:

Excellent gameplay! Really fun to play and the shooting is spot on. Lovely visuals as well. One small thing I wish you would reconsider changing is the bouncing sound effect used when hitting the turrets. That sound is a bit annoying…

Thanks, maybe I'll try a deep thud instead, might be less annoying.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KrunchyTC said:

I am curious how you handled the graphics, the BG, and sprites. You seem to be able to draw an ample number of sprites in the foreground, even drawing large groups of sprites mixed with smaller ones, all while filling up the BG with tons of detailed graphics that look multi-layered! Super impressive!

Thanks. The stars and asteroids in the background, are 1 star and 2 asteroids permanently allocated in each display list.

The playfield is made out of 16x16 pixel "tiles", oblong as the pixels are double width. There are 11 of these tiles permanently in each display list so they can be scrolled on/off the screen. Each tile can select which palette it uses. They are quite a big building block to work with, but it keeps the Maria DMA cycles down.

The force fields/lasers are dynamically added to the display list. They are the first thing added, so can be done quite quickly. Then the ground sprites are added, then the remaining sprites. It's around 30 sprites maximum. I did spend some ROM space on each display list having its own plotting routine, but to be honest I don't think it gave much performance inprovement.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, playsoft said:

Thanks. The stars and asteroids in the background, are 1 star and 2 asteroids permanently allocated in each display list.

The playfield is made out of 16x16 pixel "tiles", oblong as the pixels are double width. There are 11 of these tiles permanently in each display list so they can be scrolled on/off the screen. Each tile can select which palette it uses. They are quite a big building block to work with, but it keeps the Maria DMA cycles down.

The force fields/lasers are dynamically added to the display list. They are the first thing added, so can be done quite quickly. Then the ground sprites are added, then the remaining sprites. It's around 30 sprites maximum. I did spend some ROM space on each display list having its own plotting routine, but to be honest I don't think it gave much performance inprovement.

Really awesome job!