IGNORED

Yars Rising, Atari's Metroid Dread moment!

JPF997

Just now, CharlesEChuck said:

My first reply to you surely wasn't meant as an attack. I'm sorry if it came through as such! Your response confirms my initial impression of you from the Asteroids thread. I hope you also take my word that your initial impression of me may have been a bit off. I really like Atari and don't think I need an agenda or stamp to support what I like. There's really no sense in shilling Atari on AtariAge, where most people have a deeper connection and longer history with the brand than the company itself. I started on the wrong foot with you and agree there's no need to blow it up from here. I wish you the best with your Arcade and look forward to more fun discussions :)

its-all-good-no-worries.gif

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 10:26 PM, Giles N said:

Did this game make big money in the Arcades…? Or was is mostly a 2600-home video-game with 300 page manual, that made it iconic?

It started out as a port of the arcade game 'Star Castle',  but Howard Scott Warshaw didn't feel that the 2600 could do that game justice, so he presented the 'Yar's Revenge' concept instead.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:38 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Not that this is a huge deal or anything as we're arguing over a 40+ year old game's lore. :P Again, so far this feels like WayForward is interjecting the YR story into something else they had been working on. Perhaps not and I'm wrong. That's just the impression  so far.

I don’t believe it would be a top priority for Atari and WayForward to make sure the lore hangs ‘tightly and logically together’, contra just making a game that may have broad appeal, yet still make new gamers aware of the Atari heritage.

The Atari YouTube video has 16K views and the NintendoLife video has 54k views.

This in quite short time.

I’m unsure any other recent (2020+) new-game release, has gotten that much attention in so short time.

I do hope they’ll stick to story-elements found within classic gaming, but whether or not this will be a obvious Yars’ spin-off game to get younger gamers interested in older, famous Atari IP, isn’t that important to me at least, as the game being quality.

Of course I too have my many-layered preferences for how to deal with story-elements in video-games and ‘what they have to do there’, but it’s a least interesting they go for a more modern-type genre and use some anime-style in visuals (as they’ve chosen to do in Lunar Lander Beyond too).

I don’t think faux-retro neon-vector graphics are wrong at all in gameworlds that are associated with or embedded in Tron-like or Matrix-like plots, but for many of the older IPs, rudimentary vector-graphics were the stuff they could use at all, - the only graphics available at this early time - for certain types of gameplay.

That has shifted alot over the years, 

as almost all modern games are partly or fully using cpu-power to calculate some graphics from different angles etc, - just that everbody expects it to fully use massive numbers of polygons with textures with light and shading-effects and whatnot as the default standard.

Ok, so Yars’ Revenge was 2600 ‘sprite’-based action-game with a series of single-screen objectives to perform in the correct order, while not being shot down.

The renewed (and in my view highly improved) take on that, is Yars:Recharged.

This does use more ‘minimalistic’ stylized graphics to show the action.

Perhaps more on the functional rather than spectacular side of spectrum of graphics, but gameplay is top-notch and needs only a few parameters to be slightly changed to work in an Arcade Cabinet (but the some stuff may have to be done with the graphics too in order for it to shine ‘n sparkle a bit more as to attract bypassers).

Now, Yars Rising seems to ‘want’ to be a different cake or take altogether, and yes, I think the difference in gameplay/genre under the same IP is deliberate.

Meaning that it’s probably meant primarily for gamers who will never open or read a 2600-game comic book, but remember and associate  the name ‘Yars’ with something they find fun.

- - -

I will readily admit I’m not the guy in the universe holding the strongest felt emotions to the originals plot-line.

Back in 1990-1991(2?) - after Turrican for the Amiga had been introduced on the loading screen with sampled voice booming ‘Welcome to Turrican’ as the box and manual said it was the land of Turrican, me and my brother only laughed at the ‘subtle change’ in Turrican 2 - when it became the name for the robo-armor and thus the hero.

Who cares…?  Even if it was a epic game, one of the best for Amiga 500, it was after all just a stupid game after all.

Ok, ok, - I hear someone saying ‘you wouldn’t like that very much-would-you- if the story revealed that The Machine was Turricans father… in Turrican 2…??!!’

And it would be a strange take in a video game, yet, something about it rings familiar…

I think then that a return of the Turrican-suited hero, in the 3rd epis..  installment of the Sag… of the video-game franchise, would’ve have to take other turns to make the story’s circle complete.

When that is said, if the 8th Yars game begins to feel like a Twilight-movie, just with humans and insectoids in Space… I’m gone…

(I’ll buzz off)

… and we may end up seeing 50000 Atari-fans signing a petition to make an alternative 8th installment…

Edited by Giles N

I am interested in playing Lunar Lander Beyond, and don't mind that they've expanded on that. It looks like it's a creative, interesting way to take something, although it's not like LL had much "lore" to begin with :P 

In the case of YR, like I said, I'm not big on retconning stuff as that more often sucks than ends up as better or more compelling, but maybe it'll be great and there's no reason for me to care. We'll see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

In the case of YR, like I said, I'm not big on retconning stuff as that more often sucks than ends up as better or more compelling,

… and I can only have my general sense a d opinion of what story-elements really brings to the table, and will respect that others may find new elements completely off-putting.

My general view here, is that if you add elements that are close to inverting the story, - or twisting it beyond reasonble hinting in the outset -,  or make the first parts meaningless or arbitrary, it usually wrecks the story-part.

For a movie of book-franchise that’s a little (selfmade) doomsday right there, but for games you’ll have those who never cared (even half-a-dot) about the story.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

In the case of YR, like I said, I'm not big on retconning stuff as that more often sucks than ends up as better or more compelling, but maybe it'll be great and there's no reason for me to care. We'll see.

This is more or less where it's sitting with me.  Caveat: I am a bit of a sucker for backstory, but it absolutely needs to not feel forced or hokey, and being outright ignorant of established storyline is an instant noose around its neck for me.

Given that the original storyline involved mutant houseflies from outer space as a central plot point, it'll be interesting to see how or if that gets worked in.  I did catch the Qotech T-shirt that our protagonist wore, and that she went by 'Yar' online.  OK, there's a couple of hints, but nothing concrete enough to go on - and, quite honestly, between that and the preview, it's not hooking me in a big way.  It's very much wait and see, and I hope that my concerns about the final product are misfounded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

… and I can only have my general sense a d opinion of what story-elements really brings to the table, and will respect that others may find new elements completely off-putting.

My general view here, is that if you add elements that are close to inverting the story, - or twisting it beyond reasonble hinting in the outset -,  or make the first parts meaningless or arbitrary, it usually wrecks the story-part.

For a movie of book-franchise that’s a little (selfmade) doomsday right there, but for games you’ll have those who never cared (even half-a-dot) about the story.

Sure, and you'll never make everyone happy. 

I mentioned in the debate the last page, one other little thing that bugs me is how it seems to use some of the usual tropes of another evil corporation story. Perhaps with the hacker angle and Yar being the avatar it'll be interesting and entertaining. But, just seems like a missed opportunity to build on something that isn't a trope, since I can't think of any other pre-made stories like YR where its about mutant flies capable of interstellar travel dealing with a mortal enemy ;) 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

• 2 months later...