IGNORED

MDOS Version 7.45 Release

I am guessing there is some file that is not being found.  And looking at your screen shots, it is before the first screen so I can not say what file it may be.

You can use CTRL-S (pause) and CTRL-Q (continue) to pause the screen display to take a snapshot.

• Thanks 1

I did some more troubleshooting and individually compiled the source files listed in !DOIT (which I assume is generated by MAKE?); these 3 all give an "out of memory" error:

BIN\ASM HD\COPYS,OBJ\HDOBJ,,RCO
BIN\ASM L8\FDC-SRC,OBJ\OBJ1,,RCO
BIN\ASM L6\XOPS-S,OBJ\XOPS-G,,RCO

I am compiling under MAME / MDOS 7.45; are there any memory constraints with this combo you think?

Posted (edited)

If you are running MAME with the standard 512K and 64K SRAM, check your AUTOEXEC for TIMODE, TIMODE2, SPOOLER, and/or a RAMDISK.  The ANSI driver will also consume 16K.

This picture from your earlier post strongly suggests that you are reserving memory as GenWIPE is only finding 9 pages (72K) to clear. This is barely enough for the programs to run much less to compile large sources.  The MDOS program image is 136k so you probably need 200k free.   Type MEM at the command line to see available memory pages.

image.png.a18957530360f0abc810a23304977d57.png

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
Added info re: MEM and MDOS size
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If you are running MAME with the standard 512K and 64K SRAM, check your AUTOEXEC for TIMODE, TIMODE2, SPOOLER, and/or a RAMDISK.  The ANSI driver will also consume 16K.

This picture from your earlier post strongly suggests that you are reserving memory as GenWIPE is only finding 9 pages (72K) to clear. This is barely enough for the programs to run much less to compile large sources.  The MDOS program image is 136k so you probably need 200k free.   Type MEM at the command line to see available memory pages.

That did the trick, just compiled and tested MDOS. Thanks mate, much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhe said:

@InsaneMultitasker  what is GenWIPE for? I don't remember seeing that before.

GenWIPE grabs all open memory pages and clears them.  When the object files are linked and saved to a program image, any non-code space & reserved space (e.g. BSS) will have been set to >00.  It results in a much cleaner file and no ‘random’ info littered all over the program.   LINK should be doing this IMHO but either Paul felt the obfuscation was a good hedge against disassembly or he just didn’t consider it important enough to implement.     (/4a linkers like RAG initialize the space first.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2