IGNORED

MDOS Version 7.45 Release

I am guessing there is some file that is not being found.  And looking at your screen shots, it is before the first screen so I can not say what file it may be.

You can use CTRL-S (pause) and CTRL-Q (continue) to pause the screen display to take a snapshot.

• Thanks 1

I did some more troubleshooting and individually compiled the source files listed in !DOIT (which I assume is generated by MAKE?); these 3 all give an "out of memory" error:

BIN\ASM HD\COPYS,OBJ\HDOBJ,,RCO
BIN\ASM L8\FDC-SRC,OBJ\OBJ1,,RCO
BIN\ASM L6\XOPS-S,OBJ\XOPS-G,,RCO

I am compiling under MAME / MDOS 7.45; are there any memory constraints with this combo you think?

Posted (edited)

If you are running MAME with the standard 512K and 64K SRAM, check your AUTOEXEC for TIMODE, TIMODE2, SPOOLER, and/or a RAMDISK.  The ANSI driver will also consume 16K.

This picture from your earlier post strongly suggests that you are reserving memory as GenWIPE is only finding 9 pages (72K) to clear. This is barely enough for the programs to run much less to compile large sources.  The MDOS program image is 136k so you probably need 200k free.   Type MEM at the command line to see available memory pages.

image.png.a18957530360f0abc810a23304977d57.png

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
Added info re: MEM and MDOS size
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If you are running MAME with the standard 512K and 64K SRAM, check your AUTOEXEC for TIMODE, TIMODE2, SPOOLER, and/or a RAMDISK.  The ANSI driver will also consume 16K.

This picture from your earlier post strongly suggests that you are reserving memory as GenWIPE is only finding 9 pages (72K) to clear. This is barely enough for the programs to run much less to compile large sources.  The MDOS program image is 136k so you probably need 200k free.   Type MEM at the command line to see available memory pages.

That did the trick, just compiled and tested MDOS. Thanks mate, much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhe said:

@InsaneMultitasker  what is GenWIPE for? I don't remember seeing that before.

GenWIPE grabs all open memory pages and clears them.  When the object files are linked and saved to a program image, any non-code space & reserved space (e.g. BSS) will have been set to >00.  It results in a much cleaner file and no ‘random’ info littered all over the program.   LINK should be doing this IMHO but either Paul felt the obfuscation was a good hedge against disassembly or he just didn’t consider it important enough to implement.     (/4a linkers like RAG initialize the space first.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Comments below are only with reference to the Geneve.

IDE DSR, probably not.

TIPI DSR, the newest update has not been released to my knowledge.  When it is updated, it would improve boot time if booting MDOS from the TIPI.  Other reason, would be if someone writes something for the 4A using the new features.

11 minutes ago, 9640News said:

@dhe

MDOS/TOOLS at main · BeeryMiller/MDOS · GitHub

Look at WIPE, WIPELINK, and WIPES.  WIPE (aka GenWIPE) is the program image that can be made from WIPIES (source) and WIPELINK (linker file).

Just a reminder for us both : some tools and their source locations have changed since the 7.45 release.  I have also refreshed and collected the source for the PFM and various other utilities. However,  I don’t plan to revisit any of this until autumn and/or the holidays.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mizapf said:

Btw, if the problems with the loaders were fixed, I'd suggest to release that as 7.46, even if there are not many more fixes compared to 7.45.

MDOS V7.46 which has had zero development work does not exist as there has been no work since the release of 7.45.  The existing loaders that were posted to the forum back a few months ago are device AUTOEXEC aware.  Those loaders are just not CRU aware at alternate CRU addresses.  Nobody has requested that need outside of yourself that I sent files to a few days ago for MAME testing.

Before the updates to the loaders are released, I am waiting on the update to the TIPI DSR to be released so I can create the faster loader version with direct TIPI to RAM instead of TIPI to VDP to RAM as it is now.  The TIPI loader will likely test for TIPI eprom version first, then based on the eprom version, choose the fastest option to load.

Beery

• Like 1

The problem is a mere organizational one. There is a 7.45 around with this loader issue (regardless whether it is reported by me or anyone else), so if you just replace the loader, we'll have a bad and a good 7.45.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

Before the updates to the loaders are released, I am waiting on the update to the TIPI DSR to be released so I can create the faster loader version with direct TIPI to RAM instead of TIPI to VDP to RAM as it is now.  The TIPI loader will likely test for TIPI eprom version first, then based on the eprom version, choose the fastest option to load.

Before you undertake adding code to test the DSR version to select CPU or VDP transfers, might I suggest that you first compare the speed difference.  The data transfer between the RPi and TIPI is the larger "bottleneck" so it would be good to ascertain whether a direct CPU transfer will have an appreciable impact. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Before you undertake adding code to test the DSR version to select CPU or VDP transfers, might I suggest that you first compare the speed difference.  The data transfer between the RPi and TIPI is the larger "bottleneck" so it would be good to ascertain whether a direct CPU transfer will have an appreciable impact. 

Gotcha

@dhe  I powered up the Geneve to top off the ramdisk batteries and updated TSTAT per your request.  Option 'E' displays the EPROM version date/time stamp per @jedimatt42s post in the TIPI topic. 

TSTAT compares "version" and "latest" to determine is an update is available.  I know there is a 4.x build from reading the forum but TSTAT does not know/detect this.  I need to read the wiki/forum to determine whether there is another variable/key to test, to know if a new build is available.  If there is, I'll add that logic at a later date.

TSTATv12withSource.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can Mame boot MDOS 7.45 from a floppy disk 720KB witrh 80 tracks in Drive A: ?

I am trying to make a boot disk for some days now, but does not work.

Is it correct to rename the LOAD-SYS to DISK/SYS on the floppy disk ?

Is it correct to press space and then the -5- for booting from floppy disk A: ?

thx

I'll take a shot here and more knowledgeable folks can correct me if needed.

>Can Mame boot MDOS 7.45 from a floppy disk 720KB witrh 80 tracks in Drive A: ?

Yes, should be able to - are you using a Myarc Floppy Disk?

Are you using the 80 Track EPROM?

What is your command line, what switches/flags do set inside mame?

Command line, and config screen would lead to help.

>Is it correct to rename the LOAD-SYS to DISK/SYS on the floppy disk ?

If you set biov2 - you should just need SYSTEM-SYS on the boot floppy.

>Is it correct to press space and then the -5- for booting from floppy disk A: ?

If you use BIOSV2, there no pressing anything to boot.

• Like 1

Of course, MAME can boot from a 80 track floppy drive.

- Use the HFDC, set the DIP switch for drive 1 to "80 track, 2 ms". (The DIP switch setting is in the OSD menu; cannot be specified on the command line.)

- Set the drive 1 to type 35dd (3.5" Double Density) or 525qd (5.25" Quad Density).

- Put SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-MFM on the disk image.

- Recommended to use EPROM 2.00

This command line works for me, just tested.

mame geneve -bios 2.00 -window -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:f1 35dd -flop1 boot745.dsk

Here is the floppy disk image.

boot745.dsk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1