IGNORED

Atari has revived Infogrames !

JPF997

4 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Technically no, but in practice yes. The whole being you is just an illusion created by the brain, but it sure feels real. If you were in an unconscious coma for 7+ years and woke up, I am sure you would feel like you.

I would say both, but then you are split into two, due to different environments. Both being the person before the teleportation.

I personally am very interested in these questions. If you are, I recommend Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy?, a movie by Michel Gondry in which he discusses these questions with Noam Chomsky, and also the great video game SOMA that tackles those problems in an interactive form.

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

You're in a remake and it's not quite up to the standards set by the original :P 

I thought you were saying that if it happened to you in real life, then your life would be a bad remake of an awesome movie, but Stephen's reply made me realize you may consider David Cronenberg's masterpiece as inferior to a mediocre B-movie. That's insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I thought you were saying that if it happened to you in real life, then your life would be a bad remake of an awesome movie, but Stephen's reply made me realize you may consider David Cronenberg's masterpiece as inferior to a mediocre B-movie. That's insane.

I grew up with the B-movie, so it wins :P 

That said, the remake actually isn't as bad as I made it sound.  But for David Cronenberg movies, I'll take Scanners or Videodrome any day over The Fly.

• Like 1

Not sure I really understand why they've done this - I think they should be focusing attention on the Atari name.  I'd have revived it as something like "Atari Infogrames".   Same with their recent acquisitions like Nightdive, I'd have rebranded as "Atari Nightdive" etc.  Maybe I'm just Atari biased.  😄

Posted (edited)

Atari has always been Infogrames to me anyway, because its part of there history, Atari would not exist now if Infogrames never bought Atari's IP in 1999 and they have not been Atari for 50 years, Atari has had 4 company's running so far, Original, Warner, Tremiel and Infogrames.
Atari could as well revive Hasbro and MB Games because they own it too, so many old company's under one hood... :) Retro now is where the money lies not in new stuff, seen Fallout, I got Fallout 4 free in 2017 with the PS4 Slim, I never bothered playing it until I saw the Fallout The TV Series, so I dug it out the old Bluray CD and upgraded the PS4 version to the PS5 version, its free... :) so had it for 6 years and never played it once, I never played because I am not a fan of FPS(First Person Shooters) games(FPS games should be converted to work with VR headsets now, FPS was the start of VR), they make you dizzy, only like 3rd Person like Resident Evil remakes but it has that now too, but it didn't originally until some one made a mod for it on the PC for Fallout 4 so now you can switch using the touch pad... :) best thing they did to the game.

Edited by Spanner

3 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Not sure I really understand why they've done this - I think they should be focusing attention on the Atari name.  I'd have revived it as something like "Atari Infogrames".   Same with their recent acquisitions like Nightdive, I'd have rebranded as "Atari Nightdive" etc.  Maybe I'm just Atari biased.  😄

My guess: it's a way to release third-party titles (or budget games, reissues, etc.) Atari owns the rights to while minimising the risk of tarnishing the Atari name if they're flops.

The horse has bolted on that latter part, but, sure, whatever floats their boat, etc.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2024 at 4:51 PM, PowerDubs said:

That's such an ignorant childish comment.

Atari was founded in 1972 and SOLD to Warner in 1976... before the VCS was ever even released.

SO- unless you only own / play the very very few things Atari did before 1976... you are a hypocrite as well as a fool.

Modern Atari is better than Atari has been in many decades.

Even if a company never changes hands they will often change into something else.   Is the EA of today anything like the company that brought us classics like MULE and Archon back in the 80s?   At least under Wade, Atari feels more like the "fun" Atari of the early 80s than most iterations have in a long time.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 12:00 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

It was more like buying a store. Even if all the employees were gone, which I don´t think was the case, the store is still the same store. You are just the new manager.

Every seven years all cells in your body have been replaced by new cells, but you are still you.

No, it's not like buying a store. Because Atari went completely out of business and was completely shut down. Then someone bought its assets out of bankruptcy and tried to pretend it was a continuous operation, but it wasn't. The new Atari is a different entity entirely that decided to change its name after the original Atari died.

Just like the company currently calling itself the Arena Football League has nothing to do with the original league which ran from 1987-2008, nor the second incarnation that ran from 2010-2019. They can call themselves whatever they want but the real Arena Football League had games on NBC and ESPN, the had teams which shared ownership with NFL and NHL teams, they played in major league arenas, guys were making 75,000 bucks per year in the late 90s and early 2000s. The modern league will be lucky to finish this season, they promised their players 1000 bucks a game and then cut it to 250 and most teams are still having trouble making payroll, you've never heard of any of the owners, some of their venues aren't even large enough to accommodate a full size field or their goalposts or rebound nets, and they don't have a TV deal because they bought airtime on NFL Network then bounced a check to the NFL. 

But they do have the Arena Football League name and logo, and they pretend that makes them the Arena Football League. But people who watched the real league know the difference, and Atari is in the same boat.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:51 PM, PowerDubs said:

That's such an ignorant childish comment.

Atari was founded in 1972 and SOLD to Warner in 1976... before the VCS was ever even released.

SO- unless you only own / play the very very few things Atari did before 1976... you are a hypocrite as well as a fool.

Modern Atari is better than Atari has been in many decades.

Changing ownership is not the same thing as going entirely out of business and then having an entirely separate entity buy its assets and then rebrand. Disingenuous comparison. 

20 hours ago, famicommander said:

No, it's not like buying a store. Because Atari went completely out of business and was completely shut down. Then someone bought its assets out of bankruptcy and tried to pretend it was a continuous operation, but it wasn't.

The store was shut down and reopened.

20 hours ago, famicommander said:

The new Atari is a different entity entirely that decided to change its name after the original Atari died.

It is a different entity that bought Atari, changed its name to Atari and then sold just about everything that wasn´t from the original Atari. Leaving a company that is both Atari in name and nature.

10 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

If this was true...I'd see better and hear better!

You are right, some cells live longer than 7 years. Including eye lens cells that might last your whole life. Google gave me the wrong answer the first time.

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

The store was shut down and reopened.

It is a different entity that bought Atari, changed its name to Atari and then sold just about everything that wasn´t from the original Atari. Leaving a company that is both Atari in name and nature.

No, it's not. Again, it's more like they bought all their neighbor's stuff after he died and changed their name to his name. The original entity died and nothing can change that fact.

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

You are right, some cells live longer than 7 years. Including eye lens cells that might last your whole life. Google gave me the wrong answer the first time.

My guess is that it is surface skin cells you are referring to...Otherwise I'd expect an upgrade as we merrily limp along...Think of it,...joint pain would go away as cartilage is replaced,...   In theory you could  Hear better,   See better,    Drink     beer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

No, it's not. Again, it's more like they bought all their neighbor's stuff after he died and changed their name to his name. The original entity died and nothing can change that fact.

Atari never really completely died.  Even in Atari's darkest days after the JTS reverse merger, Atari was still licensing stuff out and working with Telegames for new Jaguar games.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Atari´s stuff is Atari. If Frederic Chesnais had insisted that people called him Jack Tramiel, then your analogy would have worked better. Atari has never been dead, as in a brand alone.

With your focus on entities, the Tramiel Atari wouldn´t be Atari either. In other words, the Lynx, Jaguar and ST would not be Atari products.

17 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

My guess is that it is surface skin cells you are referring to...Otherwise I'd expect an upgrade as we merrily limp along...Think of it,...joint pain would go away as cartilage is replaced,...   In theory you could  Hear better,   See better,    Drink     beer

Most cells on the inside get replaced too, at various intervals. Maybe cells get replaced more seldomly as we get older.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

In other words, the Lynx, Jaguar and ST would not be Atari products.

I feel this is important, though. For instance, if you're a huge fan of the Lynx but don't like that much other Atari systems, maybe you're an Epyx fan rather than an Atari fan.

11 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

With your focus on entities, the Tramiel Atari wouldn´t be Atari either. In other words, the Lynx, Jaguar and ST would not be Atari products.

Right, he laid off a huge amount of staff when he bought the company.   One might argue that 'Atari Games' was more the 'real' Atari because they kept some of their well-known developers and stuck to the company's arcade roots,  but yet that entity gets treated as a bastard step-child of Atari around here/

27 minutes ago, zzip said:

Right, he laid off a huge amount of staff when he bought the company.   One might argue that 'Atari Games' was more the 'real' Atari because they kept some of their well-known developers and stuck to the company's arcade roots,  but yet that entity gets treated as a bastard step-child of Atari around here/

Atari Games is well loved around here. There is just not much hope in seeing any of those games because Atari Games resides in the black hole that is Warner Brothers Games.

9 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Atari Games is well loved around here. There is just not much hope in seeing any of those games because Atari Games resides in the black hole that is Warner Brothers Games.

But it still seems to get treated as a spin-off company and a footnote in the history of Atari.   Probably because it has been inactive so long.

• Like 1