IGNORED

Atari has revived Infogrames !

JPF997

6 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Have they said where Infogrames will be headquartered?

I think it's only revived as a label, so nowhere.

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And there is something appealing to me about Captain Blood redone for modern audiences and hardware.  It was the only Infogrames game I ever really got into, and had the feeling of being crossed with Elite and Star Raiders.

Captain Blood doesn't belong to Infogrames. Actually I even thought you were mistaken but Infogrames did indeed publish it in some countries. But it's from ERE Informatique. To me, on top of Alone in the Dark of course (which they don't own anymore), the best Infogrames-published games are Hostages and North & South. The latter got several remakes that all sucked unfortunately.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Are you releasing some inside knowledge? Or making a prediction?

No. I have no affiliation with Atari and don't know what they'll do. It's the only big untapped IP they have and Wade Rosen discussed Adventure here: https://www.nintendolife.com/features/it-would-be-really-cool-to-do-a-retrospective-on-iwata-ataris-ceo-on-acquisitions-and-dream-collaborations

"Without going into too many details, I think Adventure is a good example of a game that could be examined by Digital Eclipse because there's a lot of historical precedent around that and a really interesting story. It's also just a great brand, and it's something that could well be brought back in a similar way to Lunar Lander. Maybe we could bring it out as a game that is much more contemporary but still taps into a lot of those classic roots. So we're looking at both paths with Adventure and hopefully, there'll be more to share on that front. I think the reason there hasn't been another Adventure game so far is because it would have to be pretty unique. You know, something like a Gold Master Series entry could stand on its own, but as far as a modern Adventure game, how would it stand out from something like The Legend of Zelda or Dragon's Dogma? So there are a lot of questions around that, and we'll need to approach it in a way that is different and something that only we can do better than anyone else."

59 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Captain Blood doesn't belong to Infogrames. Actually I even thought you were mistaken but Infogrames did indeed publish it in some countries. But it's from ERE Informatique.

Got it.  That's unfortunate for ERE Informatique, because I can't remember ever hearing them mentioned in any of the English-language reviews of the time - or, if they were, it was such a small mention that it didn't stick in my mind.  Thinking about it, though, their name did appear somewhere on the title screen, IIRC.

Looking a bit deeper, I can't recall ever playing Commander Blood and Big Bug Bang was one I'd never even heard of until now.  I'll probably check them out at some point, but need to get a DOS VM running again first.

59 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

To me, on top of Alone in the Dark of course (which they don't own anymore), the best Infogrames-published games are Hostages and North & South. The latter got several remakes that all sucked unfortunately

North & South was pretty good.  Never saw any of the sequels / remakes, though.

9 hours ago, marauder666 said:

Le Mans 24 is fantastic on Dreamcast.  They did some good games just not many

I just played it for the first time when I saw your post.  That game is pretty awesome.  Really impressive.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

There was a French guy listed as in charge, he has to work somewhere.

Oh I hadn't heard about that, but if he's alone, he probably works from home these days (unless Atari still has an office in Paris).

18 hours ago, CharlesEChuck said:

"Without going into too many details, I think Adventure is a good example of a game that could be examined by Digital Eclipse because there's a lot of historical precedent around that and a really interesting story. It's also just a great brand, and it's something that could well be brought back in a similar way to Lunar Lander. Maybe we could bring it out as a game that is much more contemporary but still taps into a lot of those classic roots. So we're looking at both paths with Adventure and hopefully, there'll be more to share on that front. I think the reason there hasn't been another Adventure game so far is because it would have to be pretty unique. You know, something like a Gold Master Series entry could stand on its own, but as far as a modern Adventure game, how would it stand out from something like The Legend of Zelda or Dragon's Dogma? So there are a lot of questions around that, and we'll need to approach it in a way that is different and something that only we can do better than anyone else."

We've had similar discussions in other threads.    The main problem I see is Adventure hasn't had any evolution over the years,  so to drop a modern version it risks feeling too different or be packed too full of cringy fan-service.

You don't get from Legend of Zelda to Tears of the Kingdom without a lot of steps in between.     I'd personally like to see a new Adventure that uses an 8 or 16-bit pixel art style,  keeps the familiar gameplay elements while expanding them.   That seems like the next logical step and pixel art games are fairly popular these days.

• Like 4

On 4/23/2024 at 6:07 AM, JPF997 said:

The reason why Infogrames is not looked back fondly in France is mostly because of that french AVGN knockoff  constantly trashing they're games for being too hard for him ( typical casual that didn't wanna git gud at playing the games and just wanted to complain about the difficulty ).

The impact that  franchises like Alone in the Dark or Driver had on the industry will never be forgotten,  Atari/Infogrames no longer owning the IP licenses won't change history (also nothing says they can't acquire them back in the future ).

Are you talking about Joueur Du Grenier - YouTube?  Maybe there is another French guy making "remember these games" videos?

I love that channel, and I've been following for years.  He talks about all sorts of games on there.  IMO, he's a bit funnier than AVGN.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, wongojack said:

Are you talking about Joueur Du Grenier - YouTube?  Maybe there is another French guy making "remember these games" videos?

I love that channel, and I've been following for years.  He talks about all sorts of games on there.  IMO, he's a bit funnier than AVGN.

Yes I was referring to Grenier, overall he's one of the better AVGN clones out there even if I disagree with most of his takes on Infograme's games, a shame I can only understand about half of what he says most of the time, I only know a bit of french, I'm much better at speaking English.

Edited by JPF997

On 4/23/2024 at 2:56 PM, TampaBay said:

I just played it for the first time when I saw your post.  That game is pretty awesome.  Really impressive.  

I do remember it being absolutely amazing, with something like 30 cars visible on the track at once, and graphics that actually beat the PS2 version. And you can *actually* play 24 hours of Le Mans on the DC version, which I think was removed on the PS2.

Now, about this Infogrames thing... current Atari *is* Infogrames, so it doesn't make any sense people getting excited about "Atari bringing back" Infogrames. This is just Infogrames bringing back Infogrames, after using the Atari name as a springboard to get back into the public consciousness. I have no problem with it, but it's just weird to see the reactions, as if "Atari" is somehow resurrecting a defunct company.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I do remember it being absolutely amazing, with something like 30 cars visible on the track at once, and graphics that actually beat the PS2 version. And you can *actually* play 24 hours of Le Mans on the DC version, which I think was removed on the PS2.

Now, about this Infogrames thing... current Atari *is* Infogrames, so it doesn't make any sense people getting excited about "Atari bringing back" Infogrames. This is just Infogrames bringing back Infogrames, after using the Atari name as a springboard to get back into the public consciousness. I have no problem with it, but it's just weird to see the reactions, as if "Atari" is somehow resurrecting a defunct company.

Infogrames became Atari, and the Infogrames name ceased to be used.  So, current Atari, who used to be called Infogrames, but no longer, is bringing back Infogrames, a name which has not been used in many years.  It is weird to me when people still think current Atari is still called Infogrames.

10 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

It is weird to me when people still think current Atari is still called Infogrames.

They're not still called Infogrames, sure, but it was easy for them to bring back the name since they always owned it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Atari is most certainly Atari. Don't know why people insist on saying we are Infogrames or some other entity.

We have brought back the Infogrames brand as a publishing label only. Since you asked, the head of the label is based in Paris ... sort of a 360 moment there. 

I figured it might be in France since there was a Frenchman in charge. And it made sense historically.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 11:30 AM, TrogdarRobusto said:

Atari is most certainly Atari. Don't know why people insist on saying we are Infogrames or some other entity.

We have brought back the Infogrames brand as a publishing label only. Since you asked, the head of the label is based in Paris ... sort of a 360 moment there. 

Because Atari is dead.

If your neighbor dies and you buy all of his stuff, move into his home, and change your name to his you haven't become him. He's still dead and you're a weird, macabre imitation.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

That's such an ignorant childish comment.

Atari was founded in 1972 and SOLD to Warner in 1976... before the VCS was ever even released.

SO- unless you only own / play the very very few things Atari did before 1976... you are a hypocrite as well as a fool.

Modern Atari is better than Atari has been in many decades.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, famicommander said:

Because Atari is dead.

If your neighbor dies and you buy all of his stuff, move into his home, and change your name to his you haven't become him. He's still dead and you're a weird, macabre imitation.

It was more like buying a store. Even if all the employees were gone, which I don´t think was the case, the store is still the same store. You are just the new manager.

Every seven years all cells in your body have been replaced by new cells, but you are still you.

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Every seven years all cells in your body have been replaced by new cells, but you are still you.

But are you, though? 🤔 And if you get into a teleporter, and you get duplicated to a remote place, but the original you is not destroyed by mistake, which one is you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

But are you, though? 🤔 

Technically no, but in practice yes. The whole being you is just an illusion created by the brain, but it sure feels real. If you were in an unconscious coma for 7+ years and woke up, I am sure you would feel like you.

7 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

And if you get into a teleporter, and you get duplicated to a remote place, but the original you is not destroyed by mistake, which one is you?

I would say both, but then you are split into two, due to different environments. Both being the person before the teleportation.

16 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

What if there happened to be a fly in the first teleporter that you didn't see in there?

You're in a remake and it's not quite up to the standards set by the original :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3