IGNORED

Chrome issues

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems accessing AtariAge using Chrome, this is the general error

This page isn’t working

forums.atariage.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

I was getting the same with Edge, but really don't want to use Edge.., Edge started working some time later, so I can now ask/post this

In the address bar, I have several of my favorites topic in the forum saved  as  links like this one Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums

But when I click on any link to AtariAge the address changes to this  https://forums.atariage.com/admin/install/
Even if I Google AtariAge and click on any link I get the same , but only in Chrome.
I've not changed any settings since I powered off last night

But as I said wierdly only now in Chrome
  • Thanks 1

I've had a similar issue with Firefox when there's been downtime (for upgrades I guess) - most recent was about a day ago.

You land on that admin/install whenever trying to get into the forums, even though they are available (trying in another browser sees the forums come up fine)

The fix is to clear all cookies and site data which will mean you have to login again.

It's somewhat annoying - probably some bug with the forum engine itself.  Really, it should just invalidate all session cookies for all users so that you have to login again - or at least so you don't get that page when the site is back and available.

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems accessing AtariAge using Chrome, this is the general error

This page isn’t working

forums.atariage.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

I use Chrome.  There was an issue the other day where a message appeared saying the server or services was down.  So, I closed the tab I had opened for Atari Age.  Then I went back to the website with a new tab a few minutes later.  After that it was fine.  I was still signed in.  At least the website was back up and working again.

500 is generic 'wtf' catchall coming from the server. Could be anything unexpected, up and including a crash of the web servicing thread. Don't specifically know of any cache conditions that would mess anything up on server, but it's totally possible. Cache clearing is the browser equivalent to cycling the power :)

Edited by danwinslow
spelling

22 minutes ago, Albert said:

This was definitely a caching issue from an incident a few weeks ago where the forum was temporarily redirecting to that install page mentioned above. 

..Al

Can confirm that as I had tried all other options e.g. close/re-open/re-boot/ cleared browsing history, only clearing cache after taking Alberts advice fixed it.

2 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

I had to install a different browser to search the forums for the answer, thanks for sharing this. :)

Funny how we need two different browsers to make sure at least one keeps working. 

22 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Funny how we need two different browsers to make sure at least one keeps working. 

There's obviously an issue here with the server, I've not seen this sort of behaviour on any other sties/forums, imagine

if you're on-line business servers did this, you would be an off-line business in no time :)

@Albert:

There is still one thing that works strange...

When I want to reply to a topic I am reading, as soon as I login, a small part of the topic (the last 3-5 replies) disappear and a white space appears there instead. The reply window is also missing and I have to use the Firefox "back" button, then all replies appear again, the reply window appears and I can reply. (That "bug" is already there since several months and clearing the cache did not change it.)