IGNORED

Donkey Kong XE release ID

Hi!, just found this game..for XE, and except for an old post from 2010, I can't find specific information. Pics are no longer available. Can anyone tell me which version or release of the game it is, or how to identify it?

image.jpeg

I would love to have such a cart. It looks great. The gameplay is excellent by the way of the Donkey Kong version for atari 8bit. Some of the Arcade ports on a8 are slightly disappointing, but this one is absolutely amazing. The only frustrating thing (but if I remember this correctly the same applies to the original Arcade) is that when you want to master this game you have to start over and over again so many times, that eventually the risk of giving up is always there. In these cases something like a Turbo Freezer would be handy.

But man... I am currently in a movement and I disconnected my a8 for now... once I have moved to my new house it will be one of the first things to connect. And THEN I will play this game again, I am sure about that. Thanks for the reminder!

23 hours ago, Rybags said:

Fairly sure at least as far as the Rom contents go, it's identical to the earlier brown cart and there were no official different revisions of this game.

I've dumped both myself, before, and did a file compare. They're the same ROM.

Op Here..Thanks for all the answers!...they are asking me for a fairly high price for it, is it worth it as a collector? or is it something I can find again at a reasonable price? 
This specific release...really has me quite confused, since I personally had never seen it.

As a collectable, I suppose worth aquiring.  Price, not sure.  Maybe the XE release is rare since the game had been around for a fair while and most people who wanted it would have had plenty of chance to buy the original release.

If wanted for the sake of having the game I'd prefer the original.  The brown carts are much better quality and more durable and the packaging and manuals the same.

1 hour ago, Crls said:

Op Here..Thanks for all the answers!...they are asking me for a fairly high price for it, is it worth it as a collector? or is it something I can find again at a reasonable price? 
This specific release...really has me quite confused, since I personally had never seen it.

Depending on where you live the blue box Donkey Kong release can be more difficult to find. But this release is not that rare. I would say 20 to 50 euros max.

6 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So basically a re labeled original Donkey Kong. Guess "XE" was for marketing, make you think it must be better when it's really the same.

It was marketing, but I don't think there was any attempt to deceive anyone. I think they just wanted to bring a few outstanding cart games forward and package them to match the new system. So, it was more like bringing some attention to them for new owners. I think anyone already owning a brown-cart copy of Donkey Kong would have been very cautious before shelling out any money for the same title in different packaging. Eastern Front 1941 is the other XE cart game that's the same as the brown cart version.

The majority of XE cart games produced already existed for the system in disk format too; but the point of putting them on carts was so that people wouldn't be required to buy a disk drive to play some of the better games for the system. The only game that had the same name as an existing game and was different was Choplifter; the XE cart is a unique version of Choplifter, different from the original Broderbund release for the system (graphically, at least).

Mario Bros is different than what was available for the 8-bit computers before; but that title was only available as a 5200 conversion (by Glenn the 5200 Man) in the community alone, not via retail. Battlezone is also a 5200 conversion that's different from the XE release; but I think it was only converted (by Homesoft) after the XE release version.

There were some minor differences with various disk games that were converted to cart. For instance, Summer Games couldn't save world records, and had a different title screen. HardBall lost it's nice title screen with artwork, etc., and just ended up with a text title screen.

Anyway, unique/new releases for the XE System were in the minority, or constituted probably only about half of all the released games. 

Some of the games that were media shifted weren't even modified to run direct from cartridge.

They just used the Rom to stream the game code down into Ram.

Result being that potential to be able to run on lower Ram systems was lost.

10 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Some of the games that were media shifted weren't even modified to run direct from cartridge.

They just used the Rom to stream the game code down into Ram.

Result being that potential to be able to run on lower Ram systems was lost.

To bad that; but Tramiel-era engineering, it doesn't surprise me they'd take the most-expedient route to conversion.

The good thing about XEGS cartridges coming into existence is that we got a lot of nicer cart games added to the library, and we ended up with some larger cart-size technology (32K, 64K, 128K, etc.). They were also adding new, quality games to the system. It's just too bad things got cut short, as the prototypes showed things to be getting even better, with titles like Commando, Midi Maze, Xenophobe, etc.

It was handy to have some of the big games such as the Lucasfilm ones on Rom.

Tramiel era gets criticised but they did pursue a lot of minor revenue angles such as cross licencing older games with other companies.