• Max-It!
    • Ms. Paku Paku
    • Pensate
    • Pinty
    • Sheep It Up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2024 at 05:59 AM

OK, I took some time to play all the games.  All the games are good, and some showcase some impressive programming technique, but I have a clear preference for one in particular, and so I cast my vote accordingly.

Good luck to all programmers!  It was a great effort from everyone.

-dZ.

• Like 1

By the way, @nanochess, I was watching a video about "The Art Of Code" and your nanochess program is mentioned as an example of a brief and compact piece of code that actually plays chess.

You are mentioned at 27:00 minutes. 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nanochess said:

Cool! 😎

I saw that part, and when the screen showed "by Oscar Toledo G." I thought ...

image.png.a8c8abb529323c3d2e496df92223378c.png

:)

Anyway, back on topic:  Thanks for running this contest there are some really cool games and it would be great to see them released in some way, like an Anthology (although some of them need a bit more polish).

-dZ.

• Haha 1

I forgot to share my scores:

Canyon Escape:

shot0001.gif.3f72a067cee21fa0958951e6131501d1.gif

Neat little game.  I like the graphics and the action, although I think it could use some polish on the input handling -- feels a bit sluggish.

Chippi:

shot0001.gif.c1daea53f9a73268e64e7cb136b00fe6.gif

I got a kick out of this message.  I should have known better.  Once I RTFM, I managed to play a game or two.  Not bad, although the input mapping took a bit to get used to.

Kart-Tag!:

shot0005.gif.8f7d08870b480abcddd6f958a054bfcc.gif

Neat-o!  It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but eventually I managed to get to a pretty high(ish) level.  Fun!

Max It!:

shot0001.gif.f8073a151be4f831b63f9c69eef70c53.gif

I really didn't get this puzzle game, but the colours and animations kept me hooked for a bit.  I apparently managed to win, although I have no idea how.

Ms. Pacu-Pacu:

shot0001.gif.724380a3223e413a1163a7b172760ed5.gif

Nice rendition of this variation.  The Ms. Pac-Man theme is well done.  I think it could use some polish, for the controls are a bit sluggish and there were some graphical glitches.  Plus, the animation at first seems a bit stuttery.  Not bad, though.

Pensate:

shot0001.gif.c1cd26f036fc2f82b5121d17449c0c90.gif

Another game I couldn't really figure out, but the constant feedback kept me going.  It's no surprise that I lost.

Pinty:

shot0001.gif.6b62df4232a2f6c5e982f335ed9cbf95.gif
I was feeling ambitious at first, but after staring at it for about 10 minutes, I figured I didn't want to spend the rest of my life waiting for it to finish ... so I tried again.

shot0002.gif.bc7dfba28cad078b646d1bef6e87376f.gif

This time I got satisfaction at a more reasonable pace.  :)

Sheep It Up!:

shot0003.gif.1eb938b6593b6ae8657d0eed07101355.gif
This game is a lot of fun.  It is a bit glitchy at times, and the platforms can get stuck -- especially after replaying a few times.  A little polish will turn it into a gem.

The Blob:

shot0001.gif.f53df43c7beccfac78212b0109b63b4a.gif

This game surprised me.  I wasn't expecting it to be this much fun.  Like some of the other puzzles, the animations and colours kept me hooked.  It is a simple game, but addictive, especially once you get the hang of it.  After losing once, I tried again with a better strategy.  Success!

All in all, a very good bunch of fun games!  Thank you all for such cool games.

-dZ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Max It!:

shot0001.gif.f8073a151be4f831b63f9c69eef70c53.gif

I really didn't get this puzzle game, but the colours and animations kept me hooked for a bit.  I apparently managed to win, although I have no idea how.

Pensate:

shot0001.gif.c1cd26f036fc2f82b5121d17449c0c90.gif

Another game I couldn't really figure out, but the constant feedback kept me going.  It's no surprise that I lost.

I had difficulty with both of these at first as well, but after figuring them out, they're among my favourites here.

In Max It! The first player can only move horizontally and the second player can only move vertically.  Whatever number you choose, the other player is locked to that column.  Then the second player chooses a number and you are locked to that row.  Then the strategy is to pick numbers not necessarily that are best for you, but rather what might lock your opponent into taking a bad one.  It's actually really great once you get it.

In Pensate, for every move you make (left, right, up, down) all the other pieces will move in predictable patterns based on the chart on the left.  So for instance, on this board if you moved up, the cluster of crosses would move down, the right arrow would move right, the circle symbol would move left, and the up arrow would move up.  The goal then is to plan your moves so that you never get hit.  The chart is a bit tricky at first.

You are at the top with your potential moves listed beside you.  Below each potential move is a symbol representing what each opponent will do if you move that way.  Super fun once you understand!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MGG said:

I had difficulty with both of these at first as well, but after figuring them out, they're among my favourites here.

In Max It! The first player can only move horizontally and the second player can only move vertically.  Whatever number you choose, the other player is locked to that column.  Then the second player chooses a number and you are locked to that row.  Then the strategy is to pick numbers not necessarily that are best for you, but rather what might lock your opponent into taking a bad one.  It's actually really great once you get it.

In Pensate, for every move you make (left, right, up, down) all the other pieces will move in predictable patterns based on the chart on the left.  So for instance, on this board if you moved up, the cluster of crosses would move down, the right arrow would move right, the circle symbol would move left, and the up arrow would move up.  The goal then is to plan your moves so that you never get hit.  The chart is a bit tricky at first.

You are at the top with your potential moves listed beside you.  Below each potential move is a symbol representing what each opponent will do if you move that way.  Super fun once you understand!

Honestly, your description sounds as much Greek to me as what I read in the instructions for each game.

I’m old and puzzles confuse me. :dunce:

dZ.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I was able to play all the games except Chippi. Sorry Chippi 😢

Out of the ones i played, Pensate was my favorite. A lot of thinking and strategy in it. The farthest i got so far was completing 5 boards but trapped myself on board 6. It's like Chess in a way needing to think ahead. 

Both Sheep it Up and Max It are a close second. Sheep It Up is simple and addicting. Max It has a lot of strategy too but would be better with more advanced AI or a human opponent which are not easy to come by for me. lol

The Blob was fun too and seeing the Bonus level. This would a great game if expanded upon later with a variety of different levels. The Intellivision version of Katamri Damacy. 

I think Ms. Paku Paku is fun but needs more polish similar to Pac-Line.

Pinty is fun to watch and listen to but i failed math so i know more Pie than Pi.

Canyon Escape has a fault that Beauty & The Beast also suffers from. Occasionally you can die 2 or 3 times in a row from the same thing that killed you the first time. But it definitely has potential. 

Kart Tag is also addicting. It has a similar feel to playing the Mattel Auto Race handheld but with more obstacles and always trying to get a better time. 

Edited by IntellivisionDude
  • Like 4

I’ve polished the game play of Canyon Escape today, didn’t had the chance earlier, but will not publish the modified version before end of the poll.

Thank you for the comments it helps to have more testers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I thought it was elegant of @drludos not to vote in his own game.

Which is quite fun as others have mentioned. A vote in it would have been perfectly justifiable.

How you did know who voted? I thought I had made voting anonymous.

Myself I clicked already in all the screen but no list appears.

1 minute ago, nanochess said:

How you did know who voted? I thought I had made voting anonymous.

Myself I clicked already in all the screen but no list appears.

I don’t know, I can see it. Thought everyone could too.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I don’t know, I can see it. Thought everyone could too.

I can't.  You two must have some special privilege.

-dZ.