IGNORED

HSW On Sale - Once Upon Atari

Buck

Am I the only one who sees this topic and pictures HSW engaged in 'the oldest profession' ? or at least up for sale at a slavers auction....

Oldest profession? Hey, I'm open minded, make me an offer.

Say... is that your real tail? Oh my!!

As for airing on TV, interestingly enough I sent it to G4 and they said they were not interested in airing Once Upon ATARI. :o

I found that rather surprising (as my emoticon indicates). Don't you?

I'll be away for a little while, but don't forget the webthang Hatster is ever watchful. And if you get a chance, check out the Calendar Live section of the LA Times for Thursday, November 6.

'nuff said,

HSW

I am surprised. We ran into similar disinterest with the Stella At 20 stuff too. It strikes me that very few people are interested unless they've done it themselves, or at least commissioned you to do it. That's just stupid, but apparently the way things are.

Oh, and for the record, I brought up the problems that I was having with OUA Chapter 4 on my Nuon DVD player as a "caveat emptor" to others, not to dis the content or anything. It's a fun show! (And Howard, a coworker tested the disc on their player and had no problems, but that being said, I still wouldn't mind a pressed one if you make a run of them, as I'm hoping that might solve the problem, though, pft, it's still not guaranteed).

... interestingly enough I sent it to G4 and they said they were not interested in airing Once Upon ATARI. ...

HSW: Did G4 give you a reason why they aren't interested? My theory: Although the content is appropriate for G4, a viewer may assume it was a G4 production, & wonder why the look & feel was so different than other G4 programming. G4 appears to be trying for a modern, MTV-type atmosphere with most of their shows, transitions, channel IDs, etc. So, while ONCE UPON ATARI is professionally made -- it doesn't feature a soundtrack with constant hip-hop beats, & fast strobe-like video edits -- & therefore might look out of place on G4.

-PongHit

I ordered this DVD when the price was lowered, & I received it fast. I finished watching it yesterday, & it was great! It's NOT about Atari's entire history -- instead, it focuses on the glory days of the 2600, as told by programmers & designers. Very, very entertaining! Get it now while it's cheap! :!: (And I had no audio problems in my JVC DVD player, or in my computer's drive.)

-PongHit

Hi all,

I own this DVD set and have enjoyed it since I got it a month anda half ago...I have watched it a few times already.

Unfortunately for me I ordered it before the price reduction...

HSW, if you read this, do I have a $20? ;)

Yeah I am in the same boat. I ordered this just a few months back. Had I known that it would have been reduced by $20, I would have waited to buy one. Oh well.

As for improvements, I would have liked a little book with the names of the programmers and which games they created at a Atari. While they do mention in the videos which games they created, it would have been nice to see their entire list. If not a separate book, how about a link on the DVD where it shows that authors picture and the games that they created?

It also would be nice to know what some of them are doing now and if any of them are still involved in the video game industry in some way.

thats whacked, youd think g4 would jump at the chance for some awesome hswwsh action.

Seems they have a lot.. first there's that dancing commercial, then there's the various spots on the various shows like "Icons: The Crash" and others. And THEN just recently on a recent episode of Filter ("the top music games of all time), when the ending credits run, they have some guy singing a song about video games sung to the tune of Billy Joels Piano Man that I SWEAR sounds like Mr. Warshaw once again! :lol:

It goes:

Lets make a show about video games

And we'll shop it around

We'll get on every station, in every nation

And call it, the "Electric Playground"

.. or something like that. It's pure cheese :P But I swear to god it sounds just like hswwsh

heh. Right now over lunch I was just watching "Icons- The Crash" on G4 which obviously was about the video game crash and who pops up to talk about E.T. it's none other than Mr. Warshaw. :P

Anyone know where that episode might be available for those who don't get G4 on their crappy and expensive DTV cable systems (yet)? :ponder: :D

Anyone know where that episode might be available for those who don't get G4 on their crappy and expensive DTV cable systems (yet)?  :ponder:  :D

Why yes! Icons and Starcade episodes are often posted on ALT.BINARIES.EMULATORS.MISC by some generous dude. Unfortunately I don't see the Icons - "The Crash" there at the moment.. but I DO see Icons-Atari there! If you keep an eye on it, eventually that episode will pop up again.

post-31-1068525228_thumb.jpg

Why yes! Icons and Starcade episodes are often posted on ALT.BINARIES.EMULATORS.MISC by some generous dude. Unfortunately I don't see the Icons - "The Crash" there at the moment.. but I DO see Icons-Atari there! If you keep an eye on it, eventually that episode will pop up again.

Thanks for the heads up, I figured that they might show up on usenet sooner or later. 8)

As for airing on TV, interestingly enough I sent it to G4 and they said they were not interested in airing Once Upon ATARI.   :o  

I found that rather surprising (as my emoticon indicates). Don't you?

HSW

Have you tried pitching it to PBS? Or consider recutting it into a 2 hour

feature and send it off to some of the documentary film festivals. And

there must be some other speciality channels that might find it interesting.

There are so many channels out there now there has to be a taker

somewhere.

John

heh. Right now over lunch I was just watching "Icons- The Crash" on G4 which obviously was about the video game crash and who pops up to talk about E.T. it's none other than Mr. Warshaw.

Hey, if anyone is interested, Icons: The Crash will repeat Monday, 11/24 at 3:00 AM. Also, Icons:Atari will air today (11/17) at 4:30 PM.

Have you tried pitching it to PBS? Or consider recutting it into a 2 hour

feature and send it off to some of the documentary film festivals. And

there must be some other speciality channels that might find it interesting.

There are so many channels out there now there has to be a taker

somewhere.

John

Actually, episode 4 ran on PBS years ago, and I have considered shopping it to other cable stations and shall do so soon.

Interestingly, I decided recently to do exactly what you are suggesting, to do one continuous 80-90 minute version and submit that to festivals and the lot. I think that is an excellent idea and I am doing just that over the next month or two.

I like the way you're thinking :)

HSW

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my wife got this for me for my birthday! :D I've watched the first two episodes and they're very good. I have heard the last one was the best and I can't wait to see it.

One thing I would have liked to see was what the insides of the Atari building looked like. I guess not a whole lot of pictures were taken back then (too much pot smoke floating around?) :ponder:

I watch this and just keep saying to myself, "It really SUCKS that Atari is gone..." :sad:

Buck said: "I think it has to do the way the voice audio was mastered in editing. The first three episodes are actually the last ones he edited, the last episode on the dvd is the first one done. "

Right on, Buck!  Very astute.

First let me appologize to anyone who is having problems. I tested this on many systems (players and computers) but obviously missed some. There are many unsettled aspects of DVDology yet, and it is also true that this is a DVD-R and not a pressed DVD.

I have decided to do everything I can to make my next run a pressed run and fix the problem. The few people having issues should PM me if they can't enjoy the DVD and I will do my best to update you.

I really appreciate those who spoke up for the content.  But I want everyone to be happy with their disc, so I will do everything I possibly can to fix it for those who are experiencing any trouble.

I am thankful that most people have not had problems, but I give you my word that I will do my best to make *everyone* happy. That was my goal with my games, and that is my goal with Once Upon ATARI (as it is with all my products).

Yars truly,

HSW

PS  For those interested, the fact is that Episode 4 was mastered in S-VHS on a cuts-only system and did not have PCM (in-video) audio on the voice tracks because then I woulnd't be able to do insert edits without messing up the speech. This accounts for the different look and visual style. The others were done on a non-linear system (with Premiere).

Buck further said: "I suspect that this may be just rapidly aging DVD player tech.  Anyhow the quality of the contents outweigh any tech glitches that one has to muddle thru.  Again, Great job Howard!"

Thanks, Buck.

Just to clarify, I cant take credit for bjk7382's observations. But you are welcome for the complements. :)

Buck