IGNORED

Atari acquires Intellivision brand and large game portofilio

2 hours ago, tcmultimedia said:

I know this just happened, but are there any plans to develop intellivision controllers and overlays in future (or existing) consoles? 

IMO the biggest issue with playing those great intellivision games is the lack of comparable classic controllers with overlays.  

Yep, that's what I'm hoping to see.  I personally have 0 interest or need for mini consoles and emulation devices like they've been doing lately, but would love to see new, quality controllers.

• Like 1

Like Sauron, I thought this would happen eventually. Especially after the M Network deal.

@TrogdarRobusto Everybody here would love to see a list of games that Atari acquired.

I believe the Intellivsion people had the trademarks for Jungle Hunt and Bump 'n Jump (for the names, not the actual games), I wonder if those were included.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

Wow! This will be really interesting to see what Atari does with this. I would have preferred that Atari used these resources to obtain some of their original games who’se licenses were sold decades ago (Gauntlet, Paperboy etc.)

Those weren't sold off, which is why they're not with Atari SA. The coinop side of the company wasn't sold off when the rest of it was during the crash. That's why consoles, computers, and pre-existing arcade IP at the time of the split like Centipede are Atari SA IP while the arcade games released after the split, which fall under the Atari Games umbrella, are today Warner Brothers Interactive property due to them buying the bulk of the Midway IP when they went under.

That said, I'm right there with you. I'd love to see it all under one roof one day and be with a company that actually would take advantage of it. And toss in the Williams, Leland, and Midway content as well. WB only ever really wanted Mortal Kombat anyways.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Maybe there is hope for some of the other players like Vectrex or Odyssey to be acquired and ports of games being made.

Well, the Odyssey 2 was produced by Philips (whose last foray into gaming was the CD-i).

I doubt that anyone at Philips would even be aware of the O2's existence, so convincing them to sell (or license) the rights would probably be the biggest challenge. That said, I cannot imagine that the asking price would be very substantial. 

2 hours ago, jhd said:

Well, the Odyssey 2 was produced by Philips (whose last foray into gaming was the CD-i).

I doubt that anyone at Philips would even be aware of the O2's existence, so convincing them to sell (or license) the rights would probably be the biggest challenge. That said, I cannot imagine that the asking price would be very substantial. 

According to Mike of Mike's Gaming Gala, the main original programmer holds the rights for most of the games.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Didn’t GBH or whatever already acquire most game rights?  Or was that just licensing?

I think you mean BBG Entertainment, who bought the IP rights of “Shark! Shark!” and “Astrosmash” last year, see
https://bbg-entertainment.com/about/ , which contains the text:

BBG Entertainment announced on May 24th, 2023 the acquisition of the ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® intellectual properties with all rights pertaining thereto, from Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC. Under this new ownership arrangement, Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC will retain any preexisting activations of the original versions of ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® as well as any versions for future platforms from Intellivision®.

I’m not a legal guy, but now Atari has acquired Intellivision, I think they also have the right to publish Astrosmash and Shark! Shark! on their platforms, like the Atari VCS 800 and Atari 2600+ 

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Good chance to bring the INTV collection to the VCS!

Exactly what I was thinking. Atari could use some of these Intellivision titles as exclusives for the VCS. This will probably put a bit more to the VCS' name.

Thunder Castle Recharged??? :)

5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Didn’t GBH or whatever already acquire most game rights?  Or was that just licensing?

My understanding is GMBH/BBG-Entertainment acquired the license to make an individual game (originally for the Amico, later released to Steam and the Amico Home app) for Shark! Shark! and Astrosmash/blast, and the only IP they outright continue to own is the Dynablaster version of the don't-call-it-Bomberman IP. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

My understanding is GMBH/BBG-Entertainment acquired the license to make an individual game (originally for the Amico, later released to Steam and the Amico Home app) for Shark! Shark! and Astrosmash/blast, and the only IP they outright continue to own is the Dynablaster version of the don't-call-it-Bomberman IP. 

BBG already owned the Dynablaster IP, and according to their website they bought the Astrosmash and Shark! Shark! IP rights last year:

BBG Entertainment announced on May 24th, 2023 the acquisition of the ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® intellectual properties with all rights pertaining thereto, from Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC. Under this new ownership arrangement, Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC will retain any preexisting activations of the original versions of ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® as well as any versions for future platforms from Intellivision®.

Edited by Dionoid

5 minutes ago, 4ever2600 said:

That would be cool if Atari purchased Coleco and Odyssey brands as well.  All under 1 umbrella.

Coleco is a tricky one because most of the nostalgia people hold for Coleco is for licensed Arcade IP that can't be reissued via a simple name changed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

And of course, the fans of two classic gaming brands are going to have to learn to get along.

@Albert It's almost time for the Numeric Keypad Console release! Just get Coleco on board! Atari you can do it!!! Intellivision,Colecovision and 5200! Might as well throw the Jag on it too! At this point Atari should own all video game related things before the NES release... When I hear ATARIAGE I think of games before that console.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Atariboy said:

How long until Night Stalker: Recharged?

I like this idea! We have Lunar Lander Beyond and Yars Rising coming out sometime this year... How about, Night Stalker Conjuring? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Like Sauron, I thought this would happen eventually. Especially after the M Network deal.

@TrogdarRobusto Everybody here would love to see a list of games that Atari acquired.

I believe the Intellivsion people had the trademarks for Jungle Hunt and Bump 'n Jump (for the names, not the actual games), I wonder if those were included.

They may have registered the trademarks but without products in the market to go with them, it doesn't mean much.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, mr_me said:

They may have registered the trademarks but without products in the market to go with them, it doesn't mean much.

What, do you think they can just magic them into existence, like Tommy?

• Haha 13

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

What, do you think they can just magic them into existence, like Tommy?

IE may have registered or applied to register those trademarks, but if IE don't have products in the market to go along with those trademarks (they don't), they're not valid trademarks. If someone, like Atari SA, were interested in those trademarks, why would they pay to IE good money for something that's not valid.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 1

This acquisition might not be as important as Night Dive or Digital Eclipse from a financial standpoint but from an historical perspective it's a massive victory for Atari and retro gaming, to have the Intellivision brand finally be free from the hands of corrupt/incompetent buffoons like Tommy,  Alvarado and Phil Adam is a truly great thing to witness, I hope one day Atari also buys/saves other historic  gaming brands like Coleco and the  Vectrex  as well.

• Like 2