IGNORED

Atari Acquires Intellivision Brand

Atari has purchased the Intellivision brand and certain games from Intellivision Entertainment LLC. Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and continue its business of developing and distributing the Amico brand game console with a license from Atari to continue to distribute new versions of the Intellivision games on the Amico console.

Atari will seek to expand digital and physical distribution of legacy Intellivision games, potentially create new games, and explore brand and licensing opportunities as part of a long-term plan to create value from the Intellivision properties.

“Uniting Atari and Intellivision after 45 years ends the longest-running console war in history,” said Mike Mika, Studio Head at Digital Eclipse.

You can read the full press release here:

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2024/05/23/2887219/0/en/Atari-Acquires-Intellivision-Brand.html

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

From the press release:

"The purchase includes the rights to more than 200 titles from the Intellivision portfolio and the Intellivision trademarks."

That can't be right?

Anyway, it's good news for anyone hoping for emulated collections of Intellivision games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mr_me said:

From the press release:

"The purchase includes the rights to more than 200 titles from the Intellivision portfolio and the Intellivision trademarks."

That can't be right?

Anyway, it's good news for anyone hoping for emulated collections of Intellivision games.

Wait- you, of all people, are doubting a press release? What if it was tweeted by a nameless engineer on a random chat? Would that be more credible for you?

3 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Wait- you, of all people, are doubting a press release? What if it was tweeted by a nameless engineer on a random chat? Would that be more credible for you?

There's also this from the press release:

"The first Intellivision home video game console was released by Mattel Electronics in 1979 and the console platform sold an estimated 5 million units through 1990."

Seems to be on the high side.

3 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Not surprised.

But as a homebrewer, it gives me pause.

It shouldn't.  What's your concern?

Owning Intellivision means we are now invested in the long-term success of the brand, which experience has taught us requires an active player and developer base. It isn't a museum piece that you put behind glass. If the homebrew developers and engineers and players had not sustained interest in the 2600 platform and our other console and PC platforms over the last 45 years I don't think Atari would be in the position we are now to do things like purchase Intellivision or launch the 2600+. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Maybe this news will warrant a new episode of the Intellivisionairies.  Hint hint, nudge nudge.  ;)

Ha!  Exactly a message I just sent to Cmart...

Unfortunately, I'm traveling for Memorial Day and the earliest we could even record a "special episode" would be Monday or Tuesday next week.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

"The first Intellivision home video game console was released by Mattel Electronics in 1979 and the console platform sold an estimated 5 million units through 1990."

Seems to be on the high side.

Agreed that that number is a bit high.  Most sources place it at >3 million but <4 million (including Wikipedia's multiple cited sources).  However, I don't feel saying "5 million" in the press release affects the deal or how Atari will manage Intellivision moving forward.

4 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Have I got news for you!

image.gif.3b429efdda58f18d1a9d7113d3126ab9.gif

Never had this back in the day, but was aware of it. I'm thinking of something in a digital format so you don't have to worry about carts wearing out. :)