IGNORED

Atari merch... I have a desperate plea / ask...

82-T/A

Ok, so... I live in South Florida. In Florida, people wear "visors" because it's so hot. Golfers wear visors, the coaches for the Miami Dolphins all wear visors on the field, and I've been wearing visors since I was 18 years old.

If I do a search for "Atari Visor" on Amazon... nothing. 

Would you find it in your heart to add "Atari Visors" to your list of merchandise on Atari.com?

Thank you!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

That does seem like an oversight, surely that logo can get slapped on a visor fairly easily. :)

Man, it's been like this since the late 1990s. Everything in the world sells visors with logos... but the one thing I've wanted is an Atari visor... NOPE... they've never sold one.

I even had a huge Atari sticker on the back window of my brand-new (at the time) Pontiac Solstice in 2006. People would flag me down, and ask me if I worked for Atari (I actually worked for the NFL then), and I was like... nope... just a fan. The fact that I've never been able to get an Atari visor is downright crazy to me, hahah...

So yeah... I'd really like an Atari visor, please!

51 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Ok, so... I live in South Florida. In Florida, people wear "visors" because it's so hot. Golfers wear visors, the coaches for the Miami Dolphins all wear visors on the field, and I've been wearing visors since I was 18 years old.

That explains a lot about Florida, because visors don't really help protect your brain from cooking in the sun. 😛

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

That explains a lot about Florida, because visors don't really help protect your brain from cooking in the sun. 😛

I mean, I get the joke of course. But people mostly use visors in Florida because it's so hot. A hat traps the heat onto your head and just makes you even more hot. A visor is primarily meant to keep the sun out of your eyes and prevent sweat from dripping down into your face.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

my brand-new (at the time) Pontiac Solstice in 2006

that was a cute car.  how did it drive and what was the maintenance like?

was hoping that was the beginning of the pontiac turnaround, but if I remember correctly, right after the solstice was introduced, GM pulled the plug on the division.

My wife got this embroidered one ages ago, in the mid/late '00s. Can't recall where, though (I want to say a vendor at MCG?). I'm about 99% sure it's custom/handmade from a plain black visor, though--a KNP CT4980, per the label. There are no trademark or copyright markings anywhere to suggest it was officially licensed, and Atari was using that awful bellbottom logo at the time, besides.

IMG_4459.jpg.41669abbcba8452d174e0455d3adecf6.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah ball caps suck on heat management, so I could see someone wanting a visor. Or maybe someone lives where it doesn't get hot so they wear it strictly for sun in eyes. I like a bucket hat, and have mostly worn those, I've got the vented kind that let air blow through them but still get the benefit of keeping the sun off your head. Never saw an Atari branded bucket hat either.

For real, what is the fascination with ball caps, there's so many better hat options out there, yet almost everybody brands ball caps and the rest are forgotten about.

Most my hats get decorated with pins. I do have some Atari logo pins, but I'd love an embroidered one.

visor-nonpoliticaledition.jpg.42270e00e68949094efec429f64e158a.jpg

On 5/24/2024 at 10:37 AM, 82-T/A said:

Would you find it in your heart to add "Atari Visors" to your list of merchandise on Atari.com?

Whipped up this for them, easy sell for sure...😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Thank you!

The biggest visor guy ever coached down there!

steve-spurrier-florida-gators.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you!

I live in South Florida too and I prefer using visors over baseball caps.  And, like you, I have not found any visors with the Atari logo on them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I live in South Florida too and I prefer using visors over baseball caps.

this really only works if one has hair.  otherwise, one is looking at a pretty serious scalp burn.  which is why I haven't worn a visor in year...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, D Train said:

this really only works if one has hair.  otherwise, one is looking at a pretty serious scalp burn.  which is why I haven't worn a visor in year...

That is a valid point.  If you're bald, a baseball cap would be best.

Edited by TrekMD

On 5/24/2024 at 10:17 PM, D Train said:

that was a cute car.  how did it drive and what was the maintenance like?

was hoping that was the beginning of the pontiac turnaround, but if I remember correctly, right after the solstice was introduced, GM pulled the plug on the division.

Oh man, I loved it... it was awesome. 

000_0089_lrg.jpg

I let my wife drive it around a lot.. she liked it too, but she had a 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible at the time also. She became pregnant, and when we had our daughter, we decided to sell both our convertibles and get smaller / used SUVs. I wanted to be super financially responsible, so I traded it in cash for a Ford Explorer with 32k miles on it, and she got a 1-year-old Jeep Patriot.

But yeah, I do miss that car...

Solstice_Full.JPG

(This is in front of an abandoned mansion that was owned by a drug lord who was murdered. The mansion has since been leveled, and now it's a horse-farm / riding school)

Anyway, I had the non turbo one because the Turbo didn't come out until a year or so later. But I installed a higher-flowing catalytic converter, a shorty header, a cold air intake, and a performance exhaust. It's a 4 cyl, so... well... it sounded like crap. But man that thing went. I could out-accelerate a BMW 330 (L6) at the time. Basically... low 14s in the quarter and a mid 6 second 0-60. It had a 2.4L VVT EcoTec 4 cyl with a 5-Speed manual. It was just a little roadster, so wasn't meant to be super quick. But when they came out with the Turbo one, it was pretty great. It had the Cadillac CTS-V limited slip differential rear-end (fully independent rear-suspension), and a tubular water-mandrel bent subframe (used the same technology as the Corvette's frame). It was a pretty fantastic car.

Really, I don't want to get into the whole thing... but Pontiac didn't fit the mold of what the "new" GM would look like. The "Auto Task Force" was hoping to make General Motors a new "green" car company, and so they got rid of anything that either wasn't making money, or didn't fit the image. They got rid of Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn (they'd stopped making their own cars, so it made sense), Saab, etc. And they only kept Buick because it was selling so well in China at the time. I don't know if that's still the case.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:05 PM, BassGuitari said:

My wife got this embroidered one ages ago, in the mid/late '00s. Can't recall where, though (I want to say a vendor at MCG?). I'm about 99% sure it's custom/handmade from a plain black visor, though--a KNP CT4980, per the label. There are no trademark or copyright markings anywhere to suggest it was officially licensed, and Atari was using that awful bellbottom logo at the time, besides.

I am convinced that Atari has a disdain for visors... it just makes no sense!

On 5/25/2024 at 7:01 PM, bigfriendly said:

The biggest visor guy ever coached down there!

steve-spurrier-florida-gators.jpg

Hah, my wife is a Gator. She watches football and screams at the TV.

On 5/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, TrekMD said:

I live in South Florida too and I prefer using visors over baseball caps.  And, like you, I have not found any visors with the Atari logo on them. 

It's a conspiracy... I tell you!!!

On 5/25/2024 at 9:26 PM, Giles N said:

…and realize finally, you really want that Atari Hotel…near you… 

Yes, absolutely. If there was an Atari Hotel near me, I'd book a room ASAP.

On 5/26/2024 at 6:10 AM, BONEMAN said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Atari and the American flag... but this isn't authentic. Looks kinda cheap.

13 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Atari and the American flag... but this isn't authentic. Looks kinda cheap.

I agree 100%. The only other one I found is on ebay. It looks authentic but it's used. That's gross.

• Like 1