IGNORED

I would like to see an Earthworm Jim sequel on the Jag

alucardX

I heard in a video recently that Digital Eclipse owns the rights to Earthworm Jim and it was also claimed that there was going to be an Earthworm Jim 4 on some new Intellivision system.

I was recently playing Earthworm Jim 2 on the SNES and the graphics look pretty nice. There are some nice background effects as well as really great animation. I think the Jag would be a great place to make an Earthworm Jim sequel considering its 2D capabilities and the fact that it was actually around during that era. If Atari has the rights they could easily do something like that and make a nice modern graphical showcase on the Jag with a known and established game franchise.

Just a random thought I had. Feel free to share your thoughts on the subject as well.

• Confused 1

I doubt any company will invest money into a game made for a long-dead obsolete console that only sold ~250k units during its lifetime. I swear, those Jag fumes get deadlier by the year...

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I doubt any company will invest money into a game made for a long-dead obsolete console that only sold ~250k units during its lifetime. I swear, those Jag fumes get deadlier by the year...

Wouldn’t that be something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, LordKraken said:

Not more for earthworm kim? I was young but for some reason I always assumed that it was a huge success (there was even a sequel)

I was referring to how many units the Jag sold. I believe Earthworm Jim sold an order of magnitude more copies on the systems it was published for.

• Like 1

IIRC an exclusive sequel was intended for the Amico.

Don't know if the game is part of Intellivision assets acquisition by Atari, but even if so, and if Atari wants to do something with the licence, they would do it on modern platforms, and probably the VCS

• Like 2

@Sauronahah ok yeah make sense. That's what happen when you read the forum fresh out of bed at 5am :D

Now since there were discussion about Earthworn Jim for the Amico (even a prototype I believe), it sounds to me that this is one of the many famous licence from the past that has lost most of its value over time. So looking at what Atari is trying to build today, this would make more sense for them to build this IP and try to relaunch it rather than, let say, Bubsy...

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

IIRC an exclusive sequel was intended for the Amico.

Don't know if the game is part of Intellivision assets acquisition by Atari, but even if so, and if Atari wants to do something with the licence, they would do it on modern platforms, and probably the VCS

No and actually, I think the Amico team lost the license and it's not even certain they got it to begin with. Since there were several of the original EWJ developers involved, they probably thought they were entitled to do a sequel then ask (of course pay) for the license afterwards, as a "formality".

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

No and actually, I think the Amico team lost the license and it's not even certain they got it to begin with. Since there were several of the original EWJ developers involved, they probably thought they were entitled to do a sequel then ask (of course pay) for the license afterwards, as a "formality".

If I remember correctly, the license holder actually contacted IE and told them to knock it off, because IE never had permission to use EJ in any capacity. Just another example of blatant lying from TT and mustache man.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't fully informed on the status of the license so obviously this is a no-go. Why would Atari want to publish for a dead system? There are many ways to approach this and they have the ability to do what they want with the Jag. They are doing many things I thought I would NEVER see including manufacturing replacement boards for arcade machines. Anything is possible and with JagStudio making a Jaguar game is now much easier than it ever was. They could easily take the approach that was used for Xeno Crises. That would be making a really good looking, nice playing game for a less capable system and then scaling it toward other systems.

Also, while EWJ is basically a dead franchise (currently), it could be revived like anything else can be. I found quite a bit of enjoyment in playing those games and even recently enjoyed playing them so it's not like they were just a novelty of their time, they actually hold some game play value. They also captured a bit of the 90's cartoon craziness of the time which is kind of cool. A modern version of the game could be done easily, make money on multiple platforms and look and play really nice on the Jag. One of the notable things about it at the time was the really smooth animation of the characters. While not a bit deal now it really was back then. While playing it recently my son commented that it looked like a "modern retro" game. The animation looks good enough that he didn't realize it was made so long ago. Like I said before though, it was just a thought and not a well informed one as I didn't know the state of the license.

• Like 1

Instead of a sequel, i would like to see somebody porting Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 to the Jaguar. It would be cool seeing someone finishing what Softgold started but never finished (http://ejagfest.de/interview-earthworm-jim-was-planned-for-the-atari-jaguar/?lang=en) and what Shiny Entertainment considered doing (https://www.atarimax.com/freenet/freenet_material/6.16and32-BitComputersSupportArea/8.OnlineMagazines/showarticle.php?499) but never moved foward with the idea...

• Like 4