IGNORED

Does the 2600+ support the Driving Controller?

Dionoid

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Look a little more at Dionoid's posts in this section and you'll have your answer. He's been complaining about this console for literal months.

Stop talking bullshit about me. I’m a huge supporter of the Atari 2600+ and actually have been speaking with Atari about releasing one of my games for the system (which unfortunately did not result in an agreement).

In this post I was asking a simple question, for which I couldn’t find an answer when using either Google or the AA search feature.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

The OP, who's been a member of this forum longer than you, asked a simple question. 

Who made you the forum police? The ones who should be blocked are the ones who are rude to others for no valid reason.

Holy wow... I feel like a fossil compared to you all 😕   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Video said:

I just wonder, why? To my understanding of a driving controllers operation, it basically is just toggling right and left on and off.

Up and down, not left and right, but yeah, what you said is basically correct.

However, the problem comes from the combination of up+down at the same time, which is an illegal combination and the source of the problem.

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Stop talking bullshit about me. I’m a huge supporter of the Atari 2600+ and actually have been speaking with Atari about releasing one of my games for the system (which unfortunately did not result in an agreement).

In this post I was asking a simple question, for which I couldn’t find an answer when using either Google or the AA search feature.

What games have you made @Dionoid?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

What games have you made @Dionoid?

Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble and Lode Runner. There are demo ROMs available for all three games on the AtariAge forum.
I recently made PAL50 versions for my games (next to the already existing NTSC and PAL60 versions) and they look great on my old 50Hz-only TV set.

4 hours ago, batari said:

However, the problem comes from the combination of up+down at the same time, which is an illegal combination and the source of the problem.

@batari Do you mean an illegal combination for the driver in the 2600+?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble and Lode Runner. There are demo ROMs available for all three games on the AtariAge forum.

Ah amazing. I love Amoeba Jump and Tower of Rubble. I can't comment on Lode Runner... yet... I just purchased it from the AA store recently.

Do you have any other games in progress?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah amazing. I love Amoeba Jump and Tower of Rubble. I can't comment on Lode Runner... yet... I just purchased it from the AA store recently.

Do you have any other games in progress?

Thanks for the support!

I don’t have concrete plans for a new game yet; Lode Runner took a lot of my time and I don’t have that much spare time at the moment.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

My point was, OP already knows the answer. Because I've seen his posts in other threads on this section where the exact same discussion already took place.

And, of course, you automatically assume the person read every post in said threads. Other than this thread, there is not a single instance of this person discussing driver controllers in regard to the 2600+. Nor is there is a post/reply in a thread specifically about the driving controller, again, save for this one. 

I'm beginning to see the validity of Trinity's mention of CPUWIZ's statement.

Edit: Besides, isn't interest in a particular aspect something that sparks a possible 'fix'? 🙄 

Edited by Gabe
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I recently made PAL50 versions for my games (next to the already existing NTSC and PAL60 versions) and they look great on my old 50Hz-only TV set.

since TOWER OF RUBBLE came out, it took over the no.1 spot on our decades long and yearly game event. As a party game, it even surpassed the joy of (10-player) Saturn Bomberman, Medieval Mayhem, Micro Machines or Mario Kart.:love:

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Lode Runner is an excellent, excellent port.   Hope they figure out how to make it run on the 2600+.  Great game.

Nothing but love for Tower of Rubble as well.   

• Like 3

15 hours ago, batari said:

Up and down, not left and right, but yeah, what you said is basically correct.

Cool to know, thanks.

As to complaining about OP, uh, squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. Lack of DC is not a deal breaker (to me) but if Atari knows people are upset about a missing feature, especially one I assume is within the plusses ability to do, perhaps Atari will fix it in future revisions or updates. I'd certainly appreciate it.

Granted, I don't know how much relevant persons from atari themselves frequent the forums, thanks to Albert, from Atari's standpoint, the forum practically runs itself. Maybe a direct email to Atari would net better results?

Anyhow, complaining about someone complaining about a wanted missing feature makes little sense to me, maybe if there's excessive topics about the same thing, but otherwise, what's the big deal?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ForceInfinity said:

Holy wow... I feel like a fossil compared to you all 😕   

I was starting to panic for a moment when I saw you'd joined in 2004. Then I noticed that I joined in 2003, so am definitely crustier and fossilier, and don't you forget it. 😉

• Haha 1

I don't know who to laugh at in this thread: the Mullet overreacting to a question by somebody who fucking made the Lode Runner 2600 port or the trolls who think they're better than the Mullet.

To answer OP's question, my main takeaway: if there is a demand for the driving controller, it will be added eventually, but I feel like it's a bit of a niche item, even from back in the day when it was introduced. Keep in mind that I usually prefer gamepads and will legit get the CX78+ controller when it's actually available.

Holy crap that lode runner looks amazing. I want it, but I can't afford it right now. Lol. Maybe next month.

I'm not getting involved in the other crap, But all I know is there is a lot of bad behavior on this forum from time to time from people who Feel above reproach because they have done something important for the community, such as writing a game or maintaining an emulator or whatever it is. And also from just regular users. So nobody is really beyond blame.

So it is what it is. It's a bunch of old men that like to get into fights on the internet, so what can you do? We're all guilty from time to time.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, r_chase said:

To answer OP's question, my main takeaway: if there is a demand for the driving controller, it will be added eventually, but I feel like it's a bit of a niche item, even from back in the day when it was introduced. Keep in mind that I usually prefer gamepads and will legit get the CX78+ controller when it's actually available.

Yeah, I agree the driving controller is a niche item. Also a driving controller looks confusingly similar to a paddle controller, so I can see why Atari decided not use this in more games.

Anyway, hopefully this controller will be supported eventually.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tradyblix said:

So it is what it is. It's a bunch of old men that like to get into fights on the internet, so what can you do? We're all guilty from time to time.

That is true. Even as a younglin' myself, I'm even guilty of starting fights without meaning to.

44 minutes ago, Tickled_Pink said:

I always thought the driving controller was a pot of some kind. But thinking about it now, obviously not. What does it do, just register left and right commands? Did it use the joystick port's digital or analog inputs?

It’s actually very similar to a track ball except with it tracks one axis rather than two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, r_chase said:

That is true. Even as a younglin' myself, I'm even guilty of starting fights without meaning to.

And to be honest, I mistook Dionoid for someone else. Ever since this new console came out there’s been an influx of new users here who, from post one, have done nothing but complain and point out minor incompatibilities and act like the console isn’t worth owning because of it. It’s tedious, and I’m getting pretty sick of it.

but that said, I was wrong and would like to officially apologize to Dionoid. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bakasama said:

It’s actually very similar to a track ball except with it tracks one axis rather than two.

I had a feeling the mechanics might have been along those lines. So, it's analogue with the axis showing how far it's travelled since the last read?