IGNORED

Right controller port

Starstar

I have a new 2600+ and I noticed that the right controller port only works when I play a two person game like Fishing Derby. For a one person game like Adventure that port doesn’t work, I can only use the left port. Is this normal? 

Thank you!

lisa simpson pants GIF

Indeed, that's how it works. It's not like USB where a controller on any port will work. It's based on much older, and cooler tech where each port is read directly by the software without any hardware abstraction layers. It's amazing what they were able to achieve with a 1.19 MHz microprocessor.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, shane857 said:

There are some 2600 games that use the right controller port in my experience...

Basketball

Gamma Attack

Star Ship

Tac-Scan

Wizard of Wor

Masters of the Universe (He-Man)

There may be more, not sure. 🤔

Raiders of the Lost Ark can be added to this as being required to use the right port for game play.

There might be more. I know that some games like Starmaster can use a controller in the second port to quickly pull up the galactic map or to switch back to cockpit view. Can't remember which but I know it does something.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, shane857 said:

There are some 2600 games that use the right controller port in my experience...

Basketball

Gamma Attack

Star Ship

Tac-Scan

Wizard of Wor

Wait, what about wizard of wor (CBS ?) uses the right controller port ?

I just picked that up recently and I've been playing it. And it's a great game, but I didn't feel like I needed to use this right controller port for anything.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Wait, what about wizard of wor (CBS ?) uses the right controller port ?

I just picked that up recently and I've been playing it. And it's a great game, but I didn't feel like I needed to use this right controller port for anything.....

I have the same game.  I found out later that to do single player, the right controller port must be used.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the same game.  I found out later that to do single player, the right controller port must be used.

Ummm. Well, it works only for me in the left controller port, so I dunno why you had that experience. Tested it out today. 

From the manual for WoW, you can play with the left controller... but it's still a two-player game.

TWO-PLAYER VERSION 
Two players may travel through each dungeon at the same time.  Both Joystick Controllers are used in this version.  The right one controls the Yellow Worriors and the left one controls the Blue Worriors.  Players may work together to destroy Worlings or they may fight against each other.

On 6/30/2024 at 7:22 PM, tradyblix said:

Ummm. Well, it works only for me in the left controller port, so I dunno why you had that experience. Tested it out today. 

According to the manual, #4 says the right controller port is for one player only.  It also mentions game select for doing one or two players.  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=598

I'll have to play the game again using the left port and try out the game select option.  

Posted (edited)

I don't have the manual for this game, but all I know is that you cannot play this game in single player mode With only one controller plugged into the right port, it just won't work. At least on the experimental r3 firmware.

It needs to be plugged into the normal left controller port.

Edited by tradyblix

On 6/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, shane857 said:

Basketball

Gamma Attack

Star Ship

Tac-Scan

Wizard of Wor

Off the top of my head, Air-Sea Battle and Home Run were a couple of other ones. 

One thing that was nice about that was you could leave a joystick connected to the right jack, and paddles to the left, and not have to switch controllers so much. In that way it's unfortunate Atari (and/or third parties) didn't standardize on using one jack for P1-2 paddles and the other for P1 joysticks/keyboards/driving/etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I don't have the manual for this game, but all I know is that you cannot play this game in single player mode With only one controller plugged into the right port, it just won't work. At least on the experimental r3 firmware.

It needs to be plugged into the normal left controller port.

I put a link for the manual in my last post for you to look at.  Also, the cart label even says use the right controller for one player.  I played the game recently.  Only one controller is connected to the console.  First I played using the right port for single player and it worked fine.  Then I used the left port and did the game select for one player.  That too worked fine.  By the way, my 2600+ is on the default firmware.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 8:11 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I put a link for the manual in my last post for you to look at.  Also, the cart label even says use the right controller for one player.  I played the game recently.  Only one controller is connected to the console.  First I played using the right port for single player and it worked fine.  Then I used the left port and did the game select for one player.  That too worked fine.  By the way, my 2600+ is on the default firmware.  

Well, that may be the case.I'm not suggesting that you're wrong about the manual. But I have this game, and this is how I have to play it on the twenty six hundred plus.

I have only one controller plugged into the left port, and that is the first person port for all games.

If I try to plug the controller into the right port only with no other controller, then the game will not accept any inputs.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Well, that may be the case.I'm not suggesting that you're wrong about the manual. But I have this game, and this is how I have to play it on the twenty six hundred plus.

I have only one controller plugged into the left port, and that is the first person port for all games.

If I try to plug the controller into the right port only with no other controller, then the game will not accept any inputs.

I'm sorry that you're having problems with the game.  Usually the left port is for the one player games.  To start the game, you must press reset according to the manual.  That's why the controller in the right port isn't giving any input.  If that doesn't work, then there's something else going on.  Such as the controller being used, the console/firmware having an issue or the game itself.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:59 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I'm sorry that you're having problems with the game.  Usually the left port is for the one player games.  To start the game, you must press reset according to the manual.  That's why the controller in the right port isn't giving any input.  If that doesn't work, then there's something else going on.  Such as the controller being used, the console/firmware having an issue or the game itself.

I mean. I'm not having any problems with the game, lol. I'm playing it just fine out of the left hand port. Great game btw, got to be in my top 10. if not top 5. Just everything you could want from a 2600 game playability wise

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I mean. I'm not having any problems with the game, lol. I'm playing it just fine out of the left hand port. Great game btw, got to be in my top 10. if not top 5. Just everything you could want from a 2600 game playability wise

Some games are swapped by Stella:

"Cart.MD5" "7e8aa18bc9502eb57daaf5e7c1e94da7"
"Cart.Manufacturer" "CBS Electronics - Roklan, Joe Hellesen, Joe Wagner"
"Cart.ModelNo" "M8774, M8794"
"Cart.Name" "Wizard of Wor (1982) (CBS Electronics)"
"Cart.Note" "Uses the Joystick Controllers (swapped)"
"Console.SwapPorts" "YES"

This would explain the inconsistency with the manual.

This is something that could be disabled in a future firmware version to more closely match the original port mappings (if the majority of people believe it is a change worth making).

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, raz0red said:

This is something that could be disabled in a future firmware version to more closely match the original port mappings (if the majority of people believe it is a change worth making).

I think it’s worth making, if it’s not to much trouble. It would be nice if it matched the original mappings but it doesn’t really affect gameplay. Just confusion with the manual or someone who’s use to the original mappings.

I was confused when I recently purchased this game, I had no idea you had to use the Right port for player one. I was playing on original hardware, I thought there was something wrong with my cartridge then I read the manual! lol. Best part of it is it’s written on the cartridge!

IMG_1053.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Great game btw, got to be in my top 10. if not top 5. Just everything you could want from a 2600 game playability wise

If you like this one which I do also, you would like Robot City homebrew AtariAge by Thomas Jentzsch. Great game!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

If you like this one which I do also, you would like Robot City homebrew AtariAge by Thomas Jentzsch. Great game!

I don't play games by that person as he's been extremely rude to me on this forums before. No thanks! Aardvark is good tho, I bought that before I decided to boycott him. Don't play it much tho, it's one of those games that looks cooler than it plays. Just my personal opinion. 

1 hour ago, raz0red said:

Some games are swapped by Stella:

"Cart.MD5" "7e8aa18bc9502eb57daaf5e7c1e94da7"
"Cart.Manufacturer" "CBS Electronics - Roklan, Joe Hellesen, Joe Wagner"
"Cart.ModelNo" "M8774, M8794"
"Cart.Name" "Wizard of Wor (1982) (CBS Electronics)"
"Cart.Note" "Uses the Joystick Controllers (swapped)"
"Console.SwapPorts" "YES"

This would explain the inconsistency with the manual.

Thanks,

Chris.

That explains it, thanks. Personally, I would rather not have to get up and not only worry about the reset switch but switching around controllers, that would really suck. I would stay on r3 forever if we have to do that. Stella probably did it for a good reason. 

23 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Stella probably did it for a good reason. 

Yeah, it is typically done for emulation as if you are using a keyboard, or single controller, etc. it is pretty annoying to have to figure out how to play using the second port.

This really comes down to authenticity versus convenience for the 2600+. 

It is definitely a good issue to raise and discuss.

Chris.

13 hours ago, tradyblix said:

It's good the game works.  I just meant because it was giving you problems using the right port.  I'm glad you're able to play the game with the left port.

It is a great game.  I was going to get the Champ Games 2600 version to play on my 7800 but decided to buy the old version and I'm content with it.