IGNORED

Random crashes on a STf?

Hi.

So I got an STf. 1 meg, a b drive/3.5 monitor, and harddisk. Mostly for Cubase, and MIDI stuff, and a little bit of the nostaglia. Since I have yet to be able to figure out successful ways of transferring "cracked" games, I have been using it mostly for PD stuff. (have fooled around a bit with other things, but see below)

The issue is, with the hard drive attached, for some reason Llamatron cannonballs/crashes at a random point while playing it.... I can't just leave the hard drive off and play it from the drive, since when the hard drive is off, both drive a and b keep coming back with Cannot read drive, if you have a harddisk make sure it is correctly installed.

The HD is a 20meg homebuilt, using a ICD controller.. forgot the model but it's w/ two ports... But if it's connected either things won't work/crash or if it's off they won't load at all?

is this a hd issue or just something w/ ram? I deleted just about everything in the AUTO folder, so there wouldn't be extra things taking up memory, but it strikes me as odd if I disconnect the cable to it, everything works fine from a disk...

Anyone had any similiar problem or can lend any advice?

Appreciate any and all suggestions or advice.

Thanks all.

(BTW I am a total ST newbie. aside from playing some games on a friends for hours and hours 15 years ago, I have never owned one, and since this set up didn't come w/ a manual maybe I am asking an obvious question to everyone else)

Whe you say ICD controller do you mean the IDC Link interface cable?, if so from what I have read they appear to be generally unreliable the Link 97 is better.

Also how far away from the STf if the HD? When I first added a HD to my STfm I wanted it on the floor as there was no room on my desk and so I purchased a 1 meter extention lead to add to the 12 inch lead that was part of the Link 97, while writing was ok (eg when copying disk to the HD) it would crash when reading large amounts of data (eg when trying to copy 720k of data to a floppy). This was caused by signal degragation due to the additional cable capacitance therefore if you have a long cable and the games at some points need to read large data chunks from the HD this could be your problem so try shortening the cable.

Thanks Stephen for the info... the controller is called the AdSCSI ST. Found it on thier website here: http://www.icd.com/atari/index.html#adscsiplus

And the cable is absurdly short actually, the HD is sitting right next to the ST....

I havn't been having too many problems w/ it as long as i boot from the HD, there are still a seemingly high number of crashes (much less if I just disconnect the HD entirely).

This weekend when I go into town I am hoping to track down some old manuals and user guides and hopefully will figure it out =)