IGNORED

Can you subscribe to NSO and still have other Nintendo games and systems they have?

Since Nintendo Switch Online has classic games with their subscriptions, do you even need it if you collect said classic games themselves?

Had just bought an NES for the first time and look forward to collecting the games for it...in spite of Nintendo Switch Online for that matter.

I also have a Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, original Game Boy and Game Boy Advance that the service offers too.

It just goes to show how collecting classic games compares to paying for a subscription to play those said games.

Right?

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Van Halbgott said:

Since Nintendo Switch Online has classic games with their subscriptions, do you even need it if you collect said classic games themselves?

Had just bought an NES for the first time and look forward to collecting the games for it...in spite of Nintendo Switch Online for that matter.

I also have a Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, original Game Boy and Game Boy Advance that the service offers too.

It just goes to show how collecting classic games compares to paying for a subscription to play those said games.

Right?

Need … no but you may want it for the convenience to play it on the Switch assuming you like its form factor, controller choice (there are many), 1080p up scaling on any TV for any of those systems … not sure why this time they went subscription vs Wii/wii-u virtual console single game sale approach.

I don’t know how good or poor emulation is, so I cannot comment on that.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Consider NSO a nice fast easy supplement to your actual games.  What is on NSO is a rental, it's basically like having Netflix or Crunchyroll on a 1yr to montly subscription plan and when you quit paying you lose that rental as you own nothing.  The NSO is a convenience to take some games on the go without having to buy yet another system, usually an after market modern one that runs carts themselves or roms on a little microsd card using emulation (like an anbernic or miyoo mini handheld.)

If you want largely free use of 1000s of games, it'll eat your wallet up for like maybe $150-200 (used/new) you get a flash kit PER system, throw the game library on a micro sd card into that kit, and park that in your system.  Yeah technically not legal, but no one much cares because it's not like the games largely are being sold anymore so you're not stealing it out of someones pocket other than the grifting greedy investors online turning old games into a business model to retire on and they do not deserve it.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Consider NSO a nice fast easy supplement to your actual games.  What is on NSO is a rental, it's basically like having Netflix or Crunchyroll on a 1yr to montly subscription plan and when you quit paying you lose that rental as you own nothing.  The NSO is a convenience to take some games on the go without having to buy yet another system, usually an after market modern one that runs carts themselves or roms on a little microsd card using emulation (like an anbernic or miyoo mini handheld.)

If you want largely free use of 1000s of games, it'll eat your wallet up for like maybe $150-200 (used/new) you get a flash kit PER system, throw the game library on a micro sd card into that kit, and park that in your system.  Yeah technically not legal, but no one much cares because it's not like the games largely are being sold anymore so you're not stealing it out of someones pocket other than the grifting greedy investors online turning old games into a business model to retire on and they do not deserve it.

I would rather obey the law.

4 hours ago, Van Halbgott said:

Right?

NSO isn't just about the classic games. However, I have a family plan an 4 other households have access to all those games too.

I've not sold all the games I own that are on the service. This reminds me I need to finish Oracle of Ages.

22 hours ago, Van Halbgott said:

I would rather obey the law.

That's your loss, I feel bad you feel so moral about it you'll need to pay some ebay asshole hundreds of dollars for a game the developers will never see a penny for, but hey, as PT Barnum has long been wrongly quoted saying they were his words 'A sucker is born every minute.'  I led off saying use the cheap streaming service from Nintendo, but gave yet another choice without being ripped off by scheming money grifters, but you do you.

I really can't help you there other than to say stick with the NSO while it lasts, the fee is tiny as anything at $20/yr when crap like Netflix without ads is $20 a month.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I like it for the save states, game list matched with the Switch's (in my casse, the Lite) portability factor. 

I will note that some games (not necessarily the classics, NES, SNES, etc.) may have issue if you have more than one Switch and perhaps the family plan (may be the same case with standard, I dunno). Castle Crashers didn't like it if my regular Switch wasn't the "main console" on my account and neither did Fortnite. I have one of my brood linked in my Family plan and she had to download Fortnite for herself as she couldn't use what was already downloaded due to that fact.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a member of NSO and I find it a very useful service and the quality of emulation to be very good but, even with that aside, the Switch is still a great place to be for retro games.  There are lots of compilations for stuff that isn't available on the NSO service and lots of contemporary reboots.  There is so much to play and enjoy that there is no need to "Jailbreak" the system for Batocera or anything like that.

If you wanted to go down that route, I would recommend using open source hardware like a Raspberry Pi.  If Nintendo catch you doing something dodgy with their hardware, they can brick your console and ban your account from their service.

Enjoy your Switch!

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, come on. You know your not permitted to have morals 😛

Actually I've gotta give the person props, I thought I was the only one that didn't just download it (games, movies, music, whatever) I figure if I actually want it, I've probably got no issue buying it, and price is relative anyways. Yes you could get, say, super Mario bros entombed in plastic in perfect condition and pay a redicimo amount for it, or if the intent is play, just get a loose copy for a buck or three. Yes some games go for more money, but I've found as long as playing is the objective, most, even high dollar titles can be had relatively inexpensively.

Now the Nintendo subscription thing is a different beast, its basically a Nintendo sanctioned rental service, so those are legit (legal) games. As for what advantage as opposed to the original? They have access to these games in one place, on a modern console you can play on tv, or on the go, it takes no physical space, and has niceties the original may not have, such as pause and save states. Don't let it stop you from buying the original titles if you can find them for a desirable price/condition.

Last "rare" game t got was super Noah's 3d ark. And I didn't pay the $100-150 range it typically goes for (though it still wasn't cheap) its one of the few game I've never even played emulation on (not having the boot code screws it I guess) I wasn't even looking for it, just assumed I'd never see it in the wild, if at all, and happened on it at a yardsale.