IGNORED

SOLVED, MY MISTAKE, CAN BE IGNORED. Atari 130XE fried by accidentally swapping video and power cable. Any chance to repair?

Last week acquired an Atari 130XE.

Was working great, until I made the big mistake of swapping the video and power cables, with apparently the power cable fitting in the video cable slot. No surprise: the 130XE is now dead.

Is there any chance this is repairable?

New to Atari 8 bit here. Mostly use Commodores, but also have Oric, TI and Sinclair. Had an Atari 800XL as kid for a short time however, and always liked the 130XE design, so was very glad to find a reasonable priced working 130XE.

So sincerely angry at myself right now.

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 1

You should not be able to swap the video and power cable, something is not standard. You will most likely be replacing anything located in the video section of the machine and more than likely some ancillary chips and LSI's

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Phew, false alarm.

Did not put the power in the video slot. But my Commodore video cable. And thought the Atari was fried as obviously a Conmodore video cable that is not connected (but was lying next to my PSU) gives no power.

Atari still works.... sorry for the disturbance.... (and now hiding in shame)

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/15/2024 at 9:36 AM, xahmol said:

Atari still works.... sorry for the disturbance.... (and now hiding in shame)

As you should!  Putting an Atari next to a Commodore!  You scared the little guy being near that Commodore death power supply.  Shocking! 😄

Edited by kheller2
Added a smiling emoji just in case people don't get my sarcasm.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Well, my Atari 130XE is not only near to Commodores, also near to Oric, Sinclair and Texas Instruments machines…..

And having severe lack of space.

Video now via RetroTink 2XPro and HDMI capture device via OBS on my monitor to be able to capture video. Looking for more permanent solutions soon.

Luckily it was not a Commodore PSU cable, but a Commodore 5 pin video cable.

That C64C is an Ultimate64 (a modern FPGA recreation) so no Commodore PSU there. And those Commodore 128Ds have internal PSUs, so totally different power plug.

Have a real C64 but that one is not presently connected. Just as my Plus/4.

IMG_3431.jpeg

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:00 AM, xrbrevin said:

C64 PSU to an A8 is how garlic is to dracula!

What's worse is the c128 and A500 PSUs use the same connector, but are wired completely differently... I thought I fried my A500+ due to plugging in the c128 PSU...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Commodore really did not give two craps about plugs and their consequences

The same as they didn't mind doing a 100 byte perfect copy of our lowercase font :)  If you're gonna steal, steal from the best right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The same as they didn't mind doing a 100 byte perfect copy of our lowercase font :)  If you're gonna steal, steal from the best right.

On charsets: did this last week in C128 VDC mode. Full in text mode with redefined charsets. Did not have the Atari then (also, sorry, the Atari boot screen is not that exciting. But was VERY happy to see it after I thought I fried the Atari)

image.png

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 1

The Atari boot screen is boring?  Remember this system was designed years before any system in your screen shot. Memo Pad might be more exciting.  But I think you are missing something special about the Atari boot process: the sound.  One can tell so much about what is happening with those audio tones, and it gets even better when you boot some external device. 

• Like 1