IGNORED

Celotine's Official Jaguar repair thread

Celotine

Washing with large quantities of isopropyl alcohol (or if you can't, deionized water -- but make sure it's completely dry before powering it again) would be a good start.

For removing the corrosion and fixing traces, take a look at the techniques used in those videos:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Machine said:

Looks like you had a large amount of roaches living in that thing. Be careful.

Actually no roaches, I know weird right? Lots of dirt, grass and a few pebbles. Maybe original owner stored it in a shed or a carport or something completely inappropriate like that.

32 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Vinegar is a weak acid as such slightly corrosive, is that safe?

Not for a long time. I left it in for like an hour and then pulled it out and doused it in distilled water to clean off the vinegar.

29 minutes ago, Isgoed said:

It would be great if you can get it working again:)

If you will, keep us posted.

I'll absolutely be doing updates so far I ordered a recap kit and new controller ports. The main shell is washed and the board got a vinegar bath. Now it's a waiting game for parts. It needs a power switch too but console5 was out.

3 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Vinegar is a weak acid as such slightly corrosive, is that safe?

My Jag waa having save game read problems despite regular contact cleanings. Soaking in vinegar was the only thing that solved it. 

But yeah its corrosive and you have to be sure to get it ALL off afterwards or it will definitely just keep going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JagChris said:

My Jag waa having save game read problems despite regular contact cleanings. Soaking in vinegar was the only thing that solved it. 

But yeah its corrosive and you have to be sure to get it ALL off afterwards or it will definitely just keep going.

Yeah I used distilled water after to get the vinegar off. Just a quick rinse, now it's gonna dry for like a week while I wait for parts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok update on the Jaguar. I put the board in a vinegar bath for about an hour trying to get as much of the rust off as possible. Then doused it in distilled water to clean off the vinegar. After drying to put IPA under the IC to displace anything that might still be wet. 

I found one bulged cap so I pulled all the caps off and the rusty controller ports too. Console5 is out of power switches so I dunno what I'm gonna do there. Overall it's looking like a whole new board already! I for sure have some bad traces and vias but that's a tomorrow problem.

PXL_20240610_060849568.jpg

PXL_20240610_060856216.jpg

PXL_20240610_050712976.jpg

Edited by Celotine
  • Like 5