IGNORED

Celotine's Official Jaguar repair thread

Celotine

1 hour ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Wow that board looks crusty....did that spend some time in a flooded basement or something? 

My guess is outside in a shed or something. It had a lot of dirt, grass and pebbles in the cart slot. That crustiness is actually just dirt, it all came off easy enough. The real problem is gonna be the rust.

This jaguar lives again. Still some iffy traces I need to sure up, controller ports to replace, I seem to have lost the LED when I removed the old controller ports and some cosmetic stuff. Thanks again to everyone who helped out with advice.

PXL_20240614_062012267.MP.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Glad to hear it, but you know you COULD simply update these in the previous thread.😏 It's called updating the thread, separate threads each time is frowned upon. 

Ah, I'm sorry, didn't know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Celotine said:

This jaguar lives again. Still some iffy traces I need to sure up, controller ports to replace, I seem to have lost the LED when I removed the old controller ports and some cosmetic stuff. Thanks again to everyone who helped out with advice.

PXL_20240614_062012267.MP.jpg

Nice job reviving that! You're a wizard! This really changes how I look at retro computing and gaming. It used to be that barn finds were classic cars and this kind of restoration was necessary. Now it is happening with classic gaming consoles too.

4 hours ago, alucardX said:

It used to be that barn finds were classic cars and this kind of restoration was necessary. Now it is happening with classic gaming consoles too.

Yeah this was in a shed or something for sure with all that dirt and grass in there. Few pebbles in the cart slot too. Very gross. 

21 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Now close that baby up and sell it to an unsuspecting customer on eBay!

Lol nah I'm gonna state that's it's been worked on. Still got more work to do too. Those controller ports were rusted to hell.

14 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

How many traces on the pcb did you have to rebuild?

HAD to rebuild.. none. Probably half a dozen that should be done though. I finished a recap last night and on a whim I tried to boot it, and it worked 🤷 

8 hours ago, alucardX said:

Nice job reviving that! You're a wizard! This really changes how I look at retro computing and gaming. It used to be that barn finds were classic cars and this kind of restoration was necessary. Now it is happening with classic gaming consoles too.

This is happening a lot in the vintage PC scene where stuff has been stored in garages and sheds for decades now, and also has stuff like corrosive battery leakage/damage to deal with even if a system has been stored in a climate controlled area. Get a load of the condition and work done on system 1 in this video! 

• Like 1

Everything is looking extra green on this jaguar. Any ideas? It might be this red component at U7. That took some heat during my recap and made a pop noise. What is that and where do I get a new one?

PXL_20240615_180159233.jpg

PXL_20240615_180203233.MP.jpg

PXL_20240614_060009574.jpg

ANOTHER question. I took the power switch to clean it and I lost track of which way it goes back in... I know I'm a noob 🤣 I see the mark on the board to show pin 1 but I don't see where that mark is on the switch.

ANOTHER update. Controller ports are replaced and working great, power switch is clean as a whistle, now I need to figure out how it goes back lol. We're almost there!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Get a load of the condition and work done on system 1 in this video! 

Damn, that's some dedication just for an old Gateway motherboard. I scrolled through that guy's entire listing of videos though, and can't find a follow up on whether the trace repair work was completed and whether it worked. I'm on pins and needles here!

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Damn, that's some dedication just for an old Gateway motherboard. I scrolled through that guy's entire listing of videos though, and can't find a follow up on whether the trace repair work was completed and whether it worked. I'm on pins and needles here!

At around 21 minutes into that video he is able to boot up the machine and even explore the still working old HDD, so his extensive repairs were a success.  I know they sold millions of gateways but they seem to be in demand right now and perhaps even costing a premium over some other brands with more generic cases.  

16 hours ago, Celotine said:

It might be this red component at U7. That took some heat during my recap and made a pop noise. What is that and where do I get a new one?

It's the video DAC, and it's hard to find.

But I don't think it's the problem. On your picture, C29 (10 nF capacitor) looks damaged, and it's involved in color encoding. Try replacing it.

5 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

It's the video DAC, and it's hard to find.

But I don't think it's the problem. On your picture, C29 (10 nF capacitor) looks damaged, and it's involved in color encoding. Try replacing it.

Good catch on the cap, but unfortunately that isn't the issue, it's just turned up on its side, that's why it looks goofy. I fixed it, but no change. However the cap next to it is missing! That might be my issue. Is C30 also 10nF?