IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration Expanded Edition is adding 39 new games to the interactive documentary

PowerDubs

On 6/25/2024 at 6:44 PM, famicommander said:

Good. I wish they'd focus more on software like this instead of releasing 500 janky ass emulation boxes that require 50 cryptic updates to do half of what they were supposed to.

Still they have released emulation consoles, and they owe every buyer of the 2 most worthy ones

(the 2600+ and the 400Mini), to UnJank these, by creating 1 or 2 major firmware & emulation-updates that are close to flawless in performance and easily accessible, well-promoted and super-easy to install at FW-update launch.

Moreover, I don’t complain: Atari should make it their business to secure the top titles for the systems 2600 and 7800, as provide rund of hardware-rereleases.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, leech said:

I have their Arcade stick that was sold through microcenter, it has everything except the spinner... which people have modded to add it. 

Ha, I have that exact same logitech keyboard!

Now if they’d only change the Atari 50 console versions to support these things…

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 12:01 PM, leech said:

I have their Arcade stick that was sold through microcenter, it has everything except the spinner... which people have modded to add it. 

Ha, I have that exact same logitech keyboard!

That's pretty sweet. I love MicroCenter, they literally have everything and carry so much Atari stuff, it's awesome. When I was in high school, they built one in Vienna, VA in place of where an old Food Lion used to be (or whatever it was). It was back in 1994 or something. It's STILL there, and every time I go to the DC Metro Area, I make sure to visit it. We just got one in Miami, but I haven't been down there to check it out.

Also... damn, that dude chews his fingernails hard core... there's almost nothing left.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2024 at 11:56 PM, Giles N said:
On 6/26/2024 at 10:48 PM, knievel1 said:

Anyone play this on Steam? 

If you mean the original ‘22 release, yes.

On my PC (Standard Microsoft PC-Tower type) it performs better than Switch (which I tend to believe have slightly slower performance).

(Scrapyard Dog 7800 actually feels tight, sharp, lag-less 60 frames per second).

I’ll throw in: The Recharged games on Steam can be set to 240 fps, - I dunno what thats called ‘overkill-smoothness?’

I meant - using Scrapyard Dog 7800 as a reference game I’m aquainted with - the Steam version on a good standard PC, runs it indistinguishably from the cartridge version, but on Switch it feels slower, a tiny bit less responsive, like 53 fps or something.

— — —

I’ll just throw in something here for 

@The Thread

Arari have Steam Summer sale now.

I’ve said on many occasions that the Recharged titles are generally good games as to tight gameplay, but somewhat overpriced compared to what you get on ios/android for 3 bucks.

The Recharged games are now about $3,5 each, and for people who have waited because of price or it not being actual retro-games, but still curious what these remakes are like, I can certainly recommend buying the modern version of your favourite old original.

For my own part - playing them as sort of PC-pick-up-n-play mini-Remakes, I’ve enjoyed:

1) Yars: 9,5/10

2) Centipede: 8/10

3) BreakOut: 8,5/10

4) Berzerk: 8/10

Haven’t a rating for the rest (not enough play time, they play tight, sound good - if you go with the ‘faux 1983-retro look’ (with some exceptions), you can have some fun here.*

Atari 50th displays to as having a 35% discount, landing it in my country at $18/19, until 11th of July.

Note: I’ve haven’t checked if this sale is anywhere else than on Steam (the Switch is at my brothers place).

*If anyone buys some of this and gets in the mood to discuss the gamequality, and how future Recharged or other types of remakes/modernizations should be like, it could be a fun thing to do … particulary speculating in possibilities for improvements and compare notes for personal tastes, and what future modern Atari releases (not retro collections) ought to be like.

Edited by Giles N

On 6/27/2024 at 2:41 AM, Sean_1970 said:

Now if they’d only change the Atari 50 console versions to support these things…

if they support mouse controls (haven't tried it on steam), then the trackball and spinner should work,

or you would have to use a utility to map them.

if its a console, i have an xbox one, and i use and adapter/converter to map different spinners, trackballs etc over to it.

later

| || | | | |

ne gative 1

7 hours ago, negative1 said:

if they support mouse controls (haven't tried it on steam), then the trackball and spinner should work,

or you would have to use a utility to map them.

if its a console, i have an xbox one, and i use and adapter/converter to map different spinners, trackballs etc over to it.

later

| || | | | |

ne gative 1

The PC version does, the console versions don't. What adapter do you have, does it convert mouse axis to analog axis?

23 hours ago, Giles N said:

Thanks - ordering Breakout and Yars now. 

Hoping both will work with X-Arcade stick.....

Atari Steam Summer sale now.

1) Yars: 9,5/10

2) Centipede: 8/10

3) BreakOut: 8,5/10

4) Berzerk: 8/10

Atari 50th displays to as having a 35% discount, landing it in my country at $18/19, until 11th of July.

50 minutes ago, knievel1 said:

Thanks - ordering Breakout

(…)

Hoping both will work with X-Arcade stick

Use a common mouse man

It’s better

(so too with other Recharged titles made from trackball or paddle games - but, most game-sticks works fine too)

50 minutes ago, knievel1 said:

and Yars

(…)

‘Hoping both will work with X-Arcade stick’

…it should, if the said stick, can do the ‘Steam/PC-game’ maneuver

— — —

How a Mac runs Steam is not exactly my expertise, so you’ll either have to look up what others have done or what others have experienced using your set-up and gear.

If you’ve run other Steam games from successfully on Mac, I’d guess it wouldn’t be a ‘heavy’ game to run. 
If you’ve never used Steam on a Mac before I dunno how of if it’ll work.

But the Steam versions of these games usually runs better than the Switch versions, which either I have experienced to have slower or less smooth overall performance or are reported to have lag.

Edited by Giles N

On 6/27/2024 at 2:33 PM, 82-T/A said:

That's pretty sweet. I love MicroCenter, they literally have everything and carry so much Atari stuff, it's awesome. When I was in high school, they built one in Vienna, VA in place of where an old Food Lion used to be (or whatever it was). It was back in 1994 or something. It's STILL there, and every time I go to the DC Metro Area, I make sure to visit it. We just got one in Miami, but I haven't been down there to check it out.

Also... damn, that dude chews his fingernails hard core... there's almost nothing left.

I wish they'd build one in Utah... the only local place to buy electronics here anymore is Best Buy... which is terrible.

1 minute ago, leech said:

I wish they'd build one in Utah... the only local place to buy electronics here anymore is Best Buy... which is terrible.

Ugh... yeah. I mean, it's better than nothing. But when you had everything from Circuit City to Incredible Universe, to CompUSA, to TigerDirect... now all you have is Best Buy... yeah. MicroCenter is like a dream.

2 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Ugh... yeah. I mean, it's better than nothing. But when you had everything from Circuit City to Incredible Universe, to CompUSA, to TigerDirect... now all you have is Best Buy... yeah. MicroCenter is like a dream.

Yeah, last time I was in California, I went into a Fry's and thought 'holy crap, we haven't had anything even remotely close to this in Utah for decades, and even then the stores were not massive like this one'.  All of the local computer parts stores shut down long ago... like 20-ish years ago at this point.  I mean, being born in a desert was bad enough, but to have a computer parts desert too!  Torture.

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, last time I was in California, I went into a Fry's and thought 'holy crap, we haven't had anything even remotely close to this in Utah for decades, and even then the stores were not massive like this one'.  All of the local computer parts stores shut down long ago... like 20-ish years ago at this point.  I mean, being born in a desert was bad enough, but to have a computer parts desert too!  Torture.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Frys... it's been a long time since I was in one, but we had them in Texas. None in San Antonio that I could remember, but I stopped by one when I was in Houston (if I remember correctly).

On 6/28/2024 at 10:47 AM, mr_me said:

The PC version does, the console versions don't. What adapter do you have, does it convert mouse axis to analog axis?

i have the older cronus max, can map mouse, wheels, etc.

they have the cronus zen now : https://www.cronusmax.com/

and the xim does it also.

later

| | | || | |

ne gative 1

On 6/25/2024 at 8:01 PM, TopDrawer said:

Great stuff!

Really looking forward for this.

I really hope they update and add more content to the game as time goes by. Have this as the actual definitive Atari collection for the next years to come.

Hope they add more Jaguar games (Bubsy's Fractured Furry Tales, Attack of the Mutant Penguins, etc).

As well as proper Atari ST and Hasbro Interactive timelines in the future as well (those PS1 Atari classic game remakes were pretty fun, as well as Glover 1 and a playable version of Glover 2).

This too.

Exactly. Their "timelines" of the 16/32 bit Atari computers are embarrassing. I'd have hoped they'd fix that instead of adding even more stuff to the VCS era...

...but I'll still enjoy the extra content, of course ;)

• Like 3