IGNORED

The new CX-78

John Stamos Mullet

The thing that really concerns me about this the most is the fact that the the cord coming out of it has an extremely awkward placement.

I would actually like to see atari Make a wireless version of this.

A problem that was a problem back then and has persisted for 40 years. And is still a problem now, is all the games that require you to go and pull the reset lever to start the game. Some games from nineteen eighty three and onwards allowed you to start using the fire button to start games, But it seems like the best controller for the twenty six hundred plus would have a way to hit that reset from the controller.

I have to get up and hit that thing constantly, my poor knees.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

The thing that really concerns me about this the most is the fact that the the cord coming out of it has an extremely awkward placement.

I would actually like to see atari Make a wireless version of this.

A problem that was a problem back then and has persisted for 40 years. And is still a problem now, is all the games that require you to go and pull the reset lever to start the game. Some games from nineteen eighty three and onwards allowed you to start using the fire button to start games, But it seems like the best controller for the twenty six hundred plus would have a way to hit that reset from the controller.

I have to get up and hit that thing constantly, my poor knees.

There is nothing awkward at all about the cord placement, and I would prefer it if you didn’t use this thread to take a dump on the 2600+, thanks.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2024 at 9:04 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Perfect.

i had an original CX-78 years back after getting back into the 7800. Never knew they existed until I found this site.

Never really liked it.

But these new ones - Ben was right. They’re amazing. Just the right weight. 

nice work.

Be a hero, open it and post pics. :P 

• Like 1

I can't say I even really notice the cord on the right, not at all.  It's just not something I feel when playing.

I'd compare the response and control equivalent to a good quality NES controller - but it does not have the same awkward corners and edges.  It's more comfy to hold in your hands.  The D-pad and buttons work well.  Personally, I find the D-pad works great for games requiring 4 cardinal directions, such as Pacman or Donkey Kong, while I prefer using the thumbstick for open movement games like Food Fight or Missile Command.

If I have a negative, it's that the controller is very light in weight, like the original CX-78.  I would like it to have a bit more heft.  I suppose I could open it up and glue in some pennies for extra weight, but I won't mess with it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

The cord LOOKS like it may be in an awkward place, but in use it actually bothers me not one bit. 💁🏻🤟🏻

I feel like perhaps this has just become a thing people say now as it's unusual to have the cord to the side instead of the centre. Meh. 

I just cut the cord off! Of course it doesn’t seem too responsive this way. 🤣

All kidding aside nothing wrong with it.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, LS650 said:

I can't say I even really notice the cord on the right, not at all.  It's just not something I feel when playing.

I'd compare the response and control equivalent to a good quality NES controller - but it does not have the same awkward corners and edges.  It's more comfy to hold in your hands.  The D-pad and buttons work well.  Personally, I find the D-pad works great for games requiring 4 cardinal directions, such as Pacman or Donkey Kong, while I prefer using the thumbstick for open movement games like Food Fight or Missile Command.

If I have a negative, it's that the controller is very light in weight, like the original CX-78.  I would like it to have a bit more heft.  I suppose I could open it up and glue in some pennies for extra weight, but I won't mess with it.

You talking official Nintendo NES controller?

Interesting last paragraph. 

See attached photo of the inside of the base of the 2600+, note the 6 small stands, they were put in to hold 3 metal weights to give the console heft. But I thought about it, and my thinking was that it's not the weight per se that gives a product a quality feeling, it's the solidity. The console, joystick, carts, paddles, gamepad all had a rule when in the hand, the plastic has no bend, no creak, no squeak. So I decided against adding weights to the 2600+ and related accessories.

Once you have that I think weight becomes less important.

Then it's cheaper to manufacture and better for the environment to not put weights in a device to basically cheat your way to a premium feeling product.

17196019624605709958734536328085.jpg

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

--SNIP--

Then it's cheaper to manufacture and better for the environment to not put weights in a device to basically cheat your way to a premium feeling product.

I think the weights are more to keep one from yanking the little thing off the table when pulling on a controller cord perhaps?

50 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

You talking official Nintendo NES controller?

Interesting last paragraph. 

See attached photo of the inside of the base of the 2600+, note the 6 small stands, they were put in to hold 3 metal weights to give the console heft. But I thought about it, and my thinking was that it's not the weight per se that gives a product a quality feeling, it's the solidity. The console, joystick, carts, paddles, gamepad all had a rule when in the hand, the plastic has no bend, no creak, no squeak. So I decided against adding weights to the 2600+ and related accessories.

And if you happen to drop it in water she should stay afloat!

I agree, keeps costs down. If someone chooses to add weights they have the option to do so. As long as the weights don’t make contact with anything inside.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This scenario didn't come into my thinking.

But yeah the cable feels weightier then the gamepad.

Ahh... So it is a conspiracy to add shipping costs. UPS is sending you a check! LOL. No seriously, if it is to give more feel of quality, I guess I can understand that, but isn't the idea to make things smaller?

I received my CX-78+ today.  It is quite nice.  The thumbstick lasted about 5 seconds and went back in the box, I just don't think I like it.  Maybe if it were thicker or rubberized, but then it wouldn't be authentic and this isn't an analog stick.  The dpad itself is quite nice.  I tried it with my recently acquired copy of Robotron 2084 and it works well.  I'm not certain if I like it any better than the controller I got off ebay, but I can't really complain about anything.  I have games that need it so it will get used, although I'm never going to give up CX-40 for most 2600 games.

• Like 2