IGNORED

The new CX-78

Got my CX-78+ today and it does feel responsive, but I just can't get used to it.  it must be a case of "can't teach an old dog new tricks....", but I'm back to the CX-40+.  I can pretty easily get past level-3 in Mr. Run and Jump with the CX-40, but stumble every time with the CX-78.  I'm going to see if my two youngest kids groove on the new controller though.  They grew up with Nintendo DS.  I did also get Fatal Run and Ninja Golf so I'm sure it will be great for those as I never had a 7800 console.  Unfortunately, those games are in the sock drawer until Christmas, so I'll have to wait to give them a good workout.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've never used an original CX-78 so my only frame of reference to draw comparisons is the NES controller.  With that in mind...

I like the contoured edges on the sides of the CX-78+.  They're much more comfortable to hold than a NES controller.

I'm not a fan of the wire placement.  I like to rest my index fingers on the top of the controller, and the cord gets in the way of my right index finger.

I like that the thumb stick is concave.  In fact, I kind of feel like it's necessary given the shape of the controller and the way you have to hold your left thumb when using the stick.

The d-pad and the thumb stick are smaller than I was expecting.  I can still use both fine, but screwing in the thumb stick felt kind of fiddly to me.  I also think I don't like the thumb stick as much because I can't really feel any travel on the d-pad.  Making both, or at least the d-pad, bigger would help.

The buttons are larger and farther apart than what I was expecting.  I want to move my right thumb to press each button, but it's awkward, and I've found myself using the proximal phalanx of my right thumb to press the second button instead.

Criticisms aside, the CX-78+ is still a far superior controller to the CX-40 in my mind.  Kudos to you and your team @Ben from Plaion!

Edited by KainXavier
Clarified comment about d-pad size.
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 4:48 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Here are some notes I made on the CX78+ for John Hancock and Genxgrownup

cx78-notes1.jpg.2b9f4b78a00683e31cf815ebcf06dc7a.jpg.73bdf5eefeeeffa54affddf4ae802924.jpg

cx78-notes2.jpg.7eeb19157100870d90006d0d454cff01.jpg.50c290e846e8d02ceb3ca3cdff8355c2.jpg

cx78-notes3.jpg.f06e5534e7955fe1cfc327fe5b1734aa.jpg.49841934a7ec18315cd61f8ad8a626de.jpg

cx78-notes4.jpg.dc1bfbcd0e47e0ea724aa78835c93995.jpg.02284ca226ed9e12be0041d3802db5ff.jpg

cx78-notes5.jpg.337b316b33ab108b88af7ebdb2c6daf2.jpg.9551184493aa8f846498ddcc6df1ea52.jpg

It's the CX-78, but a little more sensical basically

'' it's all part of the power that Atari brings you ''

its refreshing that atari being the only company who could actually do this and honestly would only benefit from doing this is finally doing this, i might just say it in a different post just to reiterate that but legit, thank god their actually doing this stuff.

• Like 2

Neat, I didn't know the original europad had two boards, granted I've never taken one apart. Just always assumed it was a roughly pad sized/shaped board like a Nintendo controller. Thanks for the pics!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ah dang this thread is more active than mine about the CX-78 how dare you!!!!

kidding obv while i did think diagonals were a little too sensitive to my liking for the first few days, i'm still 100% happy with this replica, i mean, i think i've said this before but, we could've gotten nothing or a pro-line made out of the finest mcdonalds happy meal toys and beanie baby guts, but this is a solid replica of a controller many atarians never got to own.

I remember when i was on the fence about getting the 2600+ i was considering importing a CX-78 and buying a standard 7800, but i couldn't afford like 60$ for the controller, i could buy MK11 or Dark Souls with that, but as soon as i knew about the pre-orders for 7800 stuff, i was there... i was so there...

I kinda hope Scott The Woz covers it and the 2600+ on his Scotts Stash channel, i think it would make a lot of sense on that channel and it could reach more younger retro gamers, dont think he does sponsorships at all but ya know, its just a personal hope of mine.