IGNORED

5800 compatibility

mebdrew

First, welcome to the forum!  Second, I'm assuming you're in reference to the Atari 5200 and its games.

The discussion of an adapter has come up, but @Ben from Plaion has said that he's more concerned about addressing the compatibility issues with 2600 and 7800 games first.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)  Ben has also said the hardware in the 2600+ is ill-suited to dump cartridges larger in size than what you'd find on the 2600 and 7800.  This may mean 5200 games are still within an acceptable range, but I don't think we'd see support for many platforms beyond that (if any).

Edited by KainXavier
Corrected a typo.
  • Like 5

also personally i think for 5200, something like that would need a whole redux, especially making modern controllers, even in the age of analog being a standard, i imagine it would be a whole thing, i do hope the beer closet returns and can at least fit 1 can of drinks, but right now it seems to be just the main platforms for now.

i do hope some 5200 ports happen to 7800 and the like, and eventually if all things go well with 2600+, we could see a future with 5200.

Well, maybe a 400/XE cart adapter would be in order instead (or first)...just add a usb adapter for a keyboard, but most of the games use cx-40's and that would make the controller issue a little easier to deal with than with the 5200.  Also might be a good way to see if a 5200 adapter would be feasible down the road.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 10:58 PM, Marc Fiorillo said:

Well, maybe a 400/XE cart adapter would be in order instead (or first)...just add a usb adapter for a keyboard, but most of the games use cx-40's and that would make the controller issue a little easier to deal with than with the 5200.  Also might be a good way to see if a 5200 adapter would be feasible down the road.

Wouldn't a 5200 adapter for THE400 be a better fit?

On 7/14/2024 at 4:32 PM, Maztr_0n said:

also personally i think for 5200, something like that would need a whole redux, especially making modern controllers, even in the age of analog being a standard, i imagine it would be a whole thing, i do hope the beer closet returns and can at least fit 1 can of drinks, but right now it seems to be just the main platforms for now.

i do hope some 5200 ports happen to 7800 and the like, and eventually if all things go well with 2600+, we could see a future with 5200.

There's plenty of amazing third party 5200 controllers, like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1120709682/atari-5200-custom-arcade-style?click_key=6a42d916a1c10d925acd8b42667f5b73fc68ba77%3A1120709682&click_sum=f2a467a9&ref=also_bought-7&frs=1

Also I think there's a lot less 5200 carts out there. I don't think I've ever even seen one in real life. But hey, bring it on. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the heads up! Yes I did mean the 5200.  I am no hardware genius, but I would hope there would be a way in the future to make it compatible.  I love, love that the 2600+ uses cartridges instead of "built in" games.  Makes it feel more like a real console.  

• Like 2

On 7/20/2024 at 4:48 PM, mebdrew said:

Thank you all for the heads up! Yes I did mean the 5200.  I am no hardware genius, but I would hope there would be a way in the future to make it compatible.  I love, love that the 2600+ uses cartridges instead of "built in" games.  Makes it feel more like a real console.  

Legit, its 100% cool, trust me, personally i had said or believed worse about hardware a couple of times.

I am also no hardware genius but, i assume its likely, but its adapter would likely also have all the 5200 specific stuff on it, like the proprietary controller ports, kinda like that system's 2600 adapter. Maybe it would be something we'd see eventually, but i think they'd want to work on the 2600+ more, wait to see how the market seems to react to the updates, new games, controllers, etc before any other system is given that treatment.

But the 400 Mini exists so why not? Also i do like how the 2600+ still comes with a multicart so people like me dont need a box of carts for an NES Classic style experience, you can enjoy 10 great games on 1 cartridge for free, hope if the 5200 gets a + then it gets such a multicart. And honestly there are a lot of games on 5200 that i'd wanna see on a cart like that, but likely would need licensing, so i'm hoping the 2600+ does well enough to justify those licenses. :)