IGNORED

New versions Ti99Dir 10.2a and Ti99Hdx 11.1a

Ti99Dir 10.2a

When playing with Ti99Dir and the Quick view option I found that sometimes the recognition if MyArt files was wrong and also just checking for _S for TiArtist slides is just to simple ... this can also be a source file of some sort. Version Ti99Dir version 10.2a now has a better check for recognizing  MyArt 512x212 pixel files and TiArtist font, instance and slide files. Also added an option for creating an empty HFE floppy image and added an option for converting V9T9 DSK images to HFE images. For these HFE options you need to install the Lotharek HxC2001 tools because Ti99Dir is using the hxcfe.exe of this. To select the location of external programs that Ti99Dir uses (Irfanview and hxcfe.exe) I have added browse button's to the "Configuration" dialog box.

Ti99Hdx 11.1a

I have added an buttonbar for Ti99Hdx with for buttons; Clear window, Copy text, Connect and Disconnect. Sometimes (well ... always) my Quad USB to RS232 converter refuses to initialize properly after starting my laptop and when I start Ti99Hdx I get the message "Can't open serial port <COMx:>". After disconnecting and connecting the Quad USB to RS232 converter (6, 7 ,8 ,9, 10 times) the COM ports are there and I have to go via the options menu to the "Communication configuration" options to reselect the correct COM-port. This annoyance is not necessary anymore ... just click the "Connect" button on the button bar to re-open the com-port. The never released version of Ti99Hdx 10.1a got the option for reading and writing IDE (WDS/SCS) HD images. Needed this option for my ten year TiBus project. This feature is not fully tested though but functions good enough for the things I needed to do for TiBus (and is the same code as used for the Teensy 3.5 TiBus mass storage device). I similar option was later added to one of the previous Ti99Dir releases by the way.

enjoy 🙂

ti99dir102a.zip ti99hdx11a.zip

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

On 7/6/2024 at 6:24 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Ti99Dir 10.2a

When playing with Ti99Dir and the Quick view option I found that sometimes the recognition if MyArt files was wrong and also just checking for _S for TiArtist slides is just to simple ...

Thank you Fred!  Life with a TI would be very difficult without your tools.

• Like 6

On 7/8/2024 at 12:06 PM, MikeV said:

Thank you Fred!  Life with a TI would be very difficult without your tools.

Agreed. Must have tools to make interfacing between the TI and a PC especially when combined with the TI99HDX modified TI RS232 hardware card (PHP1220) upgrade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@F.G. Kaal 

Hi Fred.  I noticed that with the current HDX DSR I am unable to call a level 2 IO routine unless I first use any level 3 routine.  Once I use a level 3 routine, level 2 works properly from that point forward.  If I initialize DSRWS R12, level 2 works without a need to first call a level 3 routine.

The level 3 common entry sets DSRWS R12.   Does each L2 routine also need this statement or maybe DSRWS R12 can be initialized during the INIT process?

HDXDSR SBO  7                 LED on
       MOV  R11,@DSREXT       Save return address
       MOV  R12,@R12*2+DSRWS  Save get CRU address (#FGK 14082008)
       LWPI DSRWS
       LI   R10,DSRST         Init stack pointer

• Like 1

11 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The level 3 common entry sets DSRWS R12.   Does each L2 routine also need this statement or maybe DSRWS R12 can be initialized during the INIT process?

And yet another 16 year old bug. Never noticed this myself. It all depends how the HDX interface is used. I always start with Dm2K reading some HDX directory (level 3) so I have never encountered this problem.

Just checked the current version of the HDX DSR. Seems I have added some new insights I had in 2020 for my TiBus (10 year) project. This problem already has been solved. I must update the download of my website one of these days ;-)

Here is the latest version of HDX DSR V4:

Hdx232Dsr_V04.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I noticed that with the current HDX DSR I am unable to call a level 2 IO routine unless I first use any level 3 routine.  Once I use a level 3 routine, level 2 works properly from that point forward.  If I initialize DSRWS R12, level 2 works without a need to first call a level 3 routine.

Would that explain why DSK2PC would fail transfers unless I use DM2K to access the HDX folder first? 

7 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Thank you, I will download this version and test it out!  In V3 I also noticed that the default pathname (HDX1.) was not initialized for level 2 operations. I will see if V4 addresses this.

I used the V3 source to write a simple loader that is able to boot the Geneve OS from the TI RS232 via your HDX server. I'll get with @9640News to discuss adding the routine to the Geneve's EPROM.   I may even try my hand at adding HDX support to the OS this decade, for fun.  :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

Would that explain why DSK2PC would fail transfers unless I use DM2K to access the HDX folder first? 

@F.G. Kaal would have to answer this with certainty but it sounds like the same problem that I had with the V3.0 DSR.  I would definitely try the V4 DSR Fred shared a few posts earlier.  (My RS232 is not modified so I cannot test the DSR as-is).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

So which files do I need to transfer to a disk to load the new DSR into my HDX-RS232? It would be great if we could have a disk image made for ease of use.

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

So which files do I need to transfer to a disk to load the new DSR into my HDX-RS232? It would be great if we could have a disk image made for ease of use.

This should do it, did it for me, though I found my battery was dead after I turned off power and came back later.

HDX files.jpg

HDXDSRv4.dsk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Copy it over via HDX.

15 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

would have to answer this with certainty but it sounds like the same problem that I had with the V3.0 DSR.  I would definitely try the V4 DSR Fred shared a few posts earlier.  (My RS232 is not modified so I cannot test the DSR as-is).

Yes this is (must be) the same problem. Funny this problem never revealed itself to me ... must be because I always start with DM2K and sometimes loads DSK2PC from HDX1 🙂

10 hours ago, Vorticon said:

HDX232LOAD is the EA option 5 program that loads HDX232-P00/HDX232-P01 from DSK1., WDS1.DSR., SCS1.DSR. or IDE1.DSR.

HDX232LDR is the EA option 5 with the HDX DSR embedded in the program and loads it from there.

HdxLdr04.bin is the FlashRom99 or FinalGrom99 version of HDX232LDR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

What do you mean with this?

During my tests, I had to call the setpath >97 routine to set the root folder before calling my first level 2 operation.  The HDX server was not setting the default level 2 path to ‘HDX1.’ during initialization.   

I will check my code later this week to make sure I am not remembering incorrectly.    

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

During my tests, I had to call the setpath >97 routine to set the root folder before calling my first level 2 operation.  The HDX server was not setting the default level 2 path to ‘HDX1.’ during initialization.   

I will check my code later this week to make sure I am not remembering incorrectly.    

Aha, this seems to be a Ti99Hdx server problem (maybe). I look into that.

And what do you do after setpath?  I have to figure out how to test this.

Edited by F.G. Kaal

Sorry my bad ... 99 excuses 4A inconvinience ... I was caught here in the middle of my 10 year TiBus project. I had added some option into the HDX DSR for reading and writing IDE image sectors for a file on my PC's harddisk because I needed something for creating an IDE or HD image in a file. You will notice this when using Dsk2Pc and trying to download a DSK image, the HDX server then mention a DSK image filename like '==HDXIMG==' instead of the filename of the DSK image you want. An option for creating IDE images is allready available in Ti99Dir.

Fortunately this code is all between an assembler define O#HDXS (HardDiskeXtern Sectors). For normal functionality we need the define O#DSKS (DiSK Sectors) for reading and writing floppy sectors. I have re-compiled and assembled all code. Forget the previous ZIP files, this is the ZIP file you want:

hdx232dsr_v04_src.zip

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Aha, this seems to be a Ti99Hdx server problem (maybe). I look into that.

And what do you do after setpath?  I have to figure out how to test this.

My test:

1. Start the system (powerup).

2. Test#1: Call routine >94 to read file info from any file. This will fail, if the default path is not set to HDX1.

3. Test#2: Set path to HDX1. using >97, then read info with >94.

18 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

My test:

1. Start the system (powerup).

2. Test#1: Call routine >94 to read file info from any file. This will fail, if the default path is not set to HDX1.

3. Test#2: Set path to HDX1. using >97, then read info with >94.

I found a test program I made in 2013 that did this but because of the level2 library I use a setpath (>97) is always called. For this test I removed the setpath call (>97) and debugged the Ti99Hdx server program. The default path is reset to the root of the TI99 files directory of the Ti99Hdx server after:

1) Powerup

2) When another TI99 files directory is selected

3) When a reset message is received

Hope this works for you, can you try this out ? If it is working fine I release this version 11.2.a of the Ti99Hdx server.

ti99hdx112a.zip

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

I found a test program I made in 2013 that did this but because of the level2 library I use a setpath (>97) is always called. For this test I removed the setpath call (>97) and debugged the Ti99Hdx server program. The default path is reset to the root of the TI99 files directory of the Ti99Hdx server after:

1) Powerup

Hope this works for you, can you try this out ? If it is working fine I release this version 11.2.a of the Ti99Hdx server.

ti99hdx112a.zip 284.86 kB · 2 downloads

I will test and report back.  

I now remember that many of my programs call the set path routine before each level 2 call. My test did not use the same routines. 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

1) Powerup

ti99hdx112a.zip 284.86 kB · 2 downloads

i have one question, is it possible to run two HDX servers on the PC, I have two com ports, and currently I am running COM2 to one of my ti99 machines.

but could i launch a second copy of HDX server on the PC and have it set to COM1 and run it to my other ti99 machine.

what would be the best way to do that, have two seperate directories for the app itself, so it doesn't mix up the config, and rename the app as well.

and would there be a harm in having them both point to the same directory when serving files, my is currrently set to G:\HDX and G:\HDX\DISK, or would there be problems if both ti99's try to access the same file at the same time?

16 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I now remember that many of my programs call the set path routine before each level 2 call. My test did not use the same routines. 🙂

This reminds me of some issue I had at work and a discussion with a colleague about a 'soft' reset function of a traffic controller. At some point in the 'soft' reset code something should have been initialized but it wasn't. My opinion was that if in some point of the code something must be initialized then just call that initialize function and don't expect that something else did that for you. IMHO this also falls into that categorie ;-)

But anyway ... there was something missing in the Ti99Hdx server ands that is fixed now.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

i have one question, is it possible to run two HDX servers on the PC, I have two com ports, and currently I am running COM2 to one of my ti99 machines.

but could i launch a second copy of HDX server on the PC and have it set to COM1 and run it to my other ti99 machine.

what would be the best way to do that, have two separate directories for the app itself, so it doesn't mix up the config, and rename the app as well.

and would there be a harm in having them both point to the same directory when serving files, my is currently set to G:\HDX and G:\HDX\DISK, or would there be problems if both ti99's try to access the same file at the same time?

You can't run more than two Ti99Hdx services on your PC because at power up the Ti99Hdx service checks of an instance of the program is already running and if so then that instance is activated (by design).

Second problem is that if it is possible then both instances ere using the same configuration file. You always have to reconfigure one of the COM-ports.

For the rest it is up to you. You don't need separate directories as long as you know what you are doing. Reading a file by more than one program is not a problem, but writing the same file by more than one program is a mess and I can't imagine what happens if one program is reading a file while another one is writing to the same file ;-)

Do you really need this?