IGNORED

Super Famicom Thread

On 8/26/2024 at 2:34 AM, Wayler said:

Anyone know other notable SFC-only puzzle games?

There's Mario's Super Picross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario's_Super_Picross) which was the Japan-only sequel to the Game Boy game.  It's probably my favorite version of the nonogram subgenre, with pleasant graphics and sound, lots of puzzles, and a separate set of "Mario" and "Wario" puzzles that play by somewhat separate rules.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c8809cec39121cb1f5a59c2de6a6820.jpeg

(Image downloaded from The Cover Project)

• Like 3

Mario's Picross conjures up very specific memories for me. Must've been the late 2000s. I'd wait for the world around me to go to sleep, to leave me alone, then I'd lay in bed gaming undisturbed for however long I could each night. So I'm reminded of that dark, quiet environment.

I never played the SFC one, but the Game Boy one on my Dreamcast via emulator. There were 2 of them I think. I'd never heard of a "picross" before that.

It was good mindless entertainment for an exhausted brain.

Yeah there are 2 Picross GB games, the Japanese aggravatingly only got the 2nd one.  I still need to get that one, and it's cheap.  Mario Super Picross I own a copy of that one on SFC and the GB one we did get, they're fun mostly.  I hate the punishment it dishes out when you tap accident or otherwise on the wrong block.  It doesn't let you suffer seeing if you messed up, it exponentially takes shots at your clock timer for time to completion, and if you push it bad enough it'll age you out into a restart.

On the whole mario thing anyway there's Mario to(and) Wario, a mouse only game that's a puzzle game with a steady pace to create tension using this little fairy to create block bridges over spaces to get your guy across the map to the goal so they don't go splat and it's a cheap game.

Back on nonograms, if you want one that's utterly fantastic, and best of all free, while not on Nintendo it is on ios(android too?) Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection which has 500 of them to do, and if you're a sadist to do again but with the X (Cross out) feature removed so you end up having to do it all from memory which is brutal.

https://konami.fandom.com/wiki/Pixel_Puzzle_Collection   I've had it on my phone since it came out, when I max it out, I just erase the thing and re-load it since I use it to blow time when I've got just like 5-15min to spare and I'm bored.  The games it covers is huge from arcade, nes/famicom, famicom disk system and more and the musical scores it plays are their most timeless stuff.

Edited by Tanooki

• 1 month later...

This series came to my attention when searching fun puzzle games to import. It just was a bit too pricey to get the real thing so I ended up emulating the sequel to try it out:

Super Gussun Oyoyo 1 & 2

gussun.thumb.jpg.af3be8263d4dcde1ddba9716caf1258c.jpggussun2.thumb.jpg.dce9cd772a660d577d3fab8f0c3c5cad.jpg

It's essentially a Tetris meets Lemmings type of deal here. There's a funny bald guy at the bottom of the screen ambling about and you have stack pieces Tetris-style to make him a path to the goal. He can climb a little, get scared by the blocks and get squished by them if you are not careful. There are also enemies that you must eliminate with blocks or handy-dandy bombs. The bombs may also be used to destroy any pieces and forge new paths where your expertly dexterous fingers have made an oopsie. It's all single screen action, so get ready for a frenzied (and sometimes a bit frustrating affair) of stacking and yelling.

Seems a bit odd that this series only had a few releases during the 90s for the SNES, Saturn and PS1. After that, it looks to have been forgotten. And the only western release is the original Arcade game from 1993 with the name of Risky Challenge. I think it could have had legs for more.

That looks uniquely fun, a puzzle/action type that was forgotten to time that makes sense.  Shame it's costly?  I know the feel, not wanting to spend much of anything on some puzzles, that's why I mentioned on page 1 Magical Drop 1 and 2.  They were not worth the going rate, but when I could get those 7 carts in a bundle it arrived with, it dropped all the carts I think around $5 or less a piece so it was a must have to snatch up.  Strangely, I tend to use Shangai more, it's just chill when you remove the idiotic kill clock on that thing.