IGNORED

3rd-person Action

MPANS

Looking for 3rd person action for Atari Jaguar.

Like Highlander for theJaguar CD or something like Alone in the Dark.

There is nothing about Atari Jaguar;

Homebrews maybe?

Like the Tomb Raider for sega 32X!!

1 hour ago, MPANS said:

Looking for 3rd person action for Atari Jaguar.

Like Highlander for theJaguar CD or something like Alone in the Dark.

There is nothing about Atari Jaguar;

Homebrews maybe?

Like the Tomb Raider for sega 32X!!

When you find it, be sure to come and let us all know :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

I loved Highlander. Once you get the rubber chicken the game rules.

I loved the idea of Highlander. I played it and just couldn't get those controls down.

3 hours ago, Mr.JT said:

The Black Ice White Noise beta is the closest you’re going to get I think…

Thanks!!

This is only for Jaguar CD, there is nothing on cartridge from what I can see.

Unfortunately, I understand that the Jaguar is a very weak console.

I would try to compare it with a console that has 3D games on cartridge, only with an N64 that is.

But it's way behind an N64, I can't imagine how it would show International Superstar Soccer 64 or Resident Evil 2 on a Jaguar cassette.

1 hour ago, MPANS said:

But it's way behind an N64, I can't imagine how it would show International Superstar Soccer 64 or Resident Evil 2 on a Jaguar cassette.

It wouldn't, because they aren't even remotely comparable in specs.  They don't even both have 64 in the name.

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

It wouldn't, because they aren't even remotely comparable in specs.  They don't even both have 64 in the name.

Do you think that such 3D games cannot be made for Jaguar?

I have understood that the Jaguar is only slightly better than the 16 bit consoles (Mega Drive - SNES).

It can only be compared to Amiga CD32.

It cannot come close to 3DO, PS1, Saturn and N64 as far as 3D games are concerned.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, MPANS said:

If you ask someone with techincal knowledge here they'll say not without compromises.

If you ask a complete idiot with underpants on their head ( @JagChris ) he'll bet his left testicle it can be done and we're all just awaiting a Mesiah with one shoe.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, MPANS said:

I have understood that the Jaguar is only slightly better than the 16 bit consoles (Mega Drive - SNES).

It can only be compared to Amiga CD32.

It cannot come close to 3DO, PS1, Saturn and N64 as far as 3D games are concerned.

Why are you asking when "know" everything already? Lets check your understanding then, Jaguar is certainly more capable than any of the 16 bit Systems. 3DO is similar to Jaguar and 32X, and N64 is a full Generation later.

The 32CD is a beefed up Amiga for 2D gfx with better colors and full motion video. It has no 3D features.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Why are you asking when "know" everything already? Lets check your understanding then, Jaguar is certainly more capable than any of the 16 bit Systems. 3DO is similar to Jaguar and 32X, and N64 is a full Generation later.

The 32CD is a beefed up Amiga for 2D gfx with better colors and full motion video. It has no 3D features.

I ask because there are people here with a lot of knowledge about Atari consoles and they might know something that I don't.

I thought there might be some homebrew game that I don't know about.

15 minutes ago, MPANS said:

I ask because there are people here with a lot of knowledge about Atari consoles and they might know something that I don't.

I thought there might be some homebrew game that I don't know about.

Actually there is a homebrew 3d demo in 3rd Person. Search for "Atariowls 3d demo", ejagfest project.

Edited by agradeneu

Even on the Saturn and the PlayStation, third person games were not as numerous as first person games, and they often used 2D (or at least pre-rendered 3D) either for characters (Bug!, Shining Force 3) or backgrounds (Alone in the Dark, Highlander). Third person games in full 3D like Tomb Raider or Super Mario 64 require a lot of geometry for the character alone, since you see it all the time. That's how you end up with games like Bubsy 3D in which the character is very detailed (actually way too detailed), but the background is basically empty. And that's why third person games on Jaguar usually involve vehicles rather than characters (Cybermorph, Checkered Flag, etc.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MPANS said:

Unfortunately, I understand that the Jaguar is a very weak console.

I would try to compare it with a console that has 3D games on cartridge, only with an N64 that is.

The Jaguar is quite powerful for its time. It was designed primarily as a 2D machine and does that very well. It can do far more than the SNES or MegaDrive can do. It was designed with some 3D in mind and for its time it was quite capable. At that time you were seeing fast 3D in arcades and not on home consoles. Use StarFox for an example. Low polygon counts, lots of dithering and limited camera perspectives at low frame rates. Compare that with what the Jaguar was doing at that time and you'll see straight away that it was a very capable system among its contemporaries. As CyranoJ points out the N64 was a generation ahead of the Jag. As was the PSX and Saturn. They were designed with different goals, more advanced hardware and had more at their disposal because of the advances of technology at the time they were designed compared to when the Jaguar was designed.

Keep doing your research and you'll see what the Jaguar is capable of and what is just nonsense being posted online.

10 hours ago, JagChris said:

Lol goid job CJ

Go back to insulting AtariAge, all the active developers working on the console you claim to love,  and bonding with crude, insulting, dumb idiots on youtube making things harder for people.

You are completely unhelpful to everyone in the scene with your disgraceful actions, and should be ashamed of yourself and the people you associate with.

• Like 8

The quality of recent Jaguar homebrews is amazing, e.g. Xenowings, but that cant help uninformed and biased people clinging to their beliefs to reconsider. 

Even a great game like Rayman is met with negativity, e.g. dismissing it as a Beta Version. If opinion makers like Digital foundry are doing that, you have lost already.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, agradeneu said:

If opinion makers like Digital foundry are doing that, you have lost already.

Ouch. It's so sad that these people are looked at this way but you are correct in your statement.

7 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

Hmm where do i get those Jaguar cassettes ?

In early ‘80s, my ancient, decrepit mom (turns out she was in early 40s; who knew?) would call 2600 games “cassettes,” which was followed by protest, “Mommmmm! They’re cartridges!”

I had a friend who suffered through equally dork times. 

Edited by Editorb
  • Like 4