IGNORED

I want to convert PAL 7800 games to NTSC, what do I do?

ApolloBoy

After losing an auction for Planet Smashers and Midnight Mutants, you can imagine how disappointed I was, so now I want to get the easier-to-find PAL versions (those Europeans have it easy!) and convert them to NTSC format so I can play them on my NTSC 7800. What do I need to do, and where can I get the proper materials?

If you are buying the PAL version of the game then usually all you need in addition is to buy an EPROM of the correct size and type. A few PAL games are larger than the NTSC version, these can be made to work with a little work.

If you do end up making some of these please mark them, at least internally, as repros. I can just see people a few years from now thinking that they're either protos or real NTSC carts.

Mitch

If you are buying the PAL version of the game then usually all you need in addition is to buy an EPROM of the correct size and type. A few PAL games are larger than the NTSC version, these can be made to work with a little work.

If you do end up making some of these please mark them, at least internally, as repros. I can just see people a few years from now thinking that they're either protos or real NTSC carts.

Mitch

Alright, what EPROMs do I need for these games...

Alien Brigade

Planet Smashers

Mean 18

Fatal Run

Motor Psycho

Ikari Warriors

Basketbrawl

27C100 EPROM, though the more common 27C010 will work with a bit more work. You will also need a second EPROM for Alien Brigade, a 27C128.

Mitch

Why?

Because Alien Brigade is 144k in size and they don't make 144k EPROMS. :) So, they use a 128k and a 16k.

Mitch

27C100 EPROM, though the more common 27C010 will work with a bit more work. You will also need a second EPROM for Alien Brigade, a 27C128.

Mitch

Why?

Because Alien Brigade is 144k in size and they don't make 144k EPROMS. :) So, they use a 128k and a 16k.

Mitch

OK, so I how do I break up Alien Brigade into two ROMs?

OK, I was thinking you were talking about converting a game from PAL to NTSC that was only released in PAL...  

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Eh, there aren't any. Sentinel would be the only one and a completed NTSC proto exists for that one.

Mitch

Eh, there aren't any. Sentinel would be the only one and a completed NTSC proto exists for that one.

Hmm, I didn't know that. I guess since the 7800 wasn't as widespread and didn't last as long as the 2600, and therefore there weren't nearly as many games, they managed to get ganes released in both formats. The fact that nearly all of them were made by Atari helps too.

You learn something new every day... *slinks back to the 2600 forum*

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

After losing an auction for Planet Smashers and Midnight Mutants, you can imagine how disappointed I was, so now I want to get the easier-to-find PAL versions (those Europeans have it easy!) and convert them to NTSC format so I can play them on my NTSC 7800. What do I need to do, and where can I get the proper materials?

we do sometimes, Ihave not got a pal version if robotron bot i do have all the games you have listed on PaL. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note, if you are not interested in the labels and are more interested in playing the games on your console, you don't have to buy their PAL counterparts. There are other more common games you can use to just get the board then solder on the EPROMs.

Most of those games on your list use the same board anyway. O'sheas might still have some of the games with the board you need. BTW, if you plan on burning the EPROMs yourself you will have to deal with HEX. HEX is your friend. :-) Good luck!