IGNORED

Pacman++ is now available (finally)

Cheung

9 minutes ago, globeron said:

Note: to use keys E,S,D,X  in the emulators the CAPS-LOCK need to DOWN (to use capital letters). 
         (in Retrobat with Pad2Key you can map the keys to use a Joystick mapped to E,S,D,X)

Or when selecting the Joystick in Pacman++ game itself (option 4 configure)
        (then CAPS-LOCK need to be "up" position, otherwise you cannot move upwards)

1. Rom only version by Tursi works perfectly in Retrobat / based on RetroArch(LibretroMAME) or Mame64

pacmanplusnosave.rpk 22.22 kB · 0 downloads

and the image and video files (to be used in Retrobat -> in the roms/ti99/images and /videos directory) 

pacmanplus.zip 1.85 MB · 0 downloads

2. and for the orginal version (which requires the disk to save the high scores) it also works in Retrobat by using a Batch file (and under the Windows roms)

(used a separate directory C:\GAMES\ti99 and also assume that C:\GAMES\mame directory is here with the respective mame version)

See the batch file in the .zip for details:ti99pacmanplus.zip

image.thumb.png.606736fc490675d59ce68d89ec9be812.png

Is this the same as Batocera or something in addition?

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

So, here you go! Not as easy a task as I expected, but it was fun. ;) (Full source for the patch and very rambling notes included.)

I was able to get through all 20 levels using your binary and everything worked perfectly. Thanks again for all your work on this.

game_end.thumb.png.84181fbdd113572863118f79dc12ea60.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cheung said:

Is this the same as Batocera or something in addition?

Batocera is a standalone linux system (e.g. it can boot from USB) with a similar emulationstation interface, but I changed to Retrobat because it runs on Windows 11

which I use on my main TV also for other things like Netflix, etc. with Retrobat I do not have to switch / reboot. 

Both can run MAME64 or RetroArch/Libretro (I used the latter most of the time, because of the controllers being able to get back to emulstation). 

Both use .rpk formats (see whtech, search on batocera / retrobat).

FYI - 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tursi said:

All my previous hacks worked with program images only - which are a simple single call to DSRLNK and a single memory copy. But with those plus this one reading and writing records, it's not that far from a proper ROMFS. It's feasible to create a tool that can pack a disk into a ROMFS for programs to access... although except for converting from disk to cartridge I don't think there's much value over just directly accessing the data if you are already writing for cart.

This sounds a little like it could be generalized somehow ... If so, I might be able to integrate the tweaking in TiCodEd to have an automated way to compile XB and have another 32kB in DV80 for data in a module by patching the assembly code... perhaps something for long winter evenings.

I will study your notes and try to understand, what you did there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pjduplooy said:

Ok, I found it.  It is in the gamelist.xml file in the ti99 folder in Retrobat

in Retrobat you need to go to Game Settings - Update Gamelists

(or exit Retrobat and restart should also update the gamelist.xml in the directory)

Normally everything can be done via the Retrobat interface

(there is a forum https://retrobat.forumgaming.fr/  where their development team has been fixing TI-99/4A related fixes in their UI)

image.thumb.png.2521bb77839973c5045b2fd3114a1360.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pjduplooy said:

Hi globeron

I have installed the nosave version in Retrobat, but the image is not showing up, and the title is pacman+nosave.

How do I correct that?

(put the picture in the ti99\images folder and ti99\video folder)

Press very long on the button to open up the game, then the menu appears on the right, select  edit metadata then point to the image and video file.
(if the names of image, video, game are exactly the same it should come up automatically)
image.thumb.png.a9d1d8c07e6b703853e10045542006f0.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cheung said:

I was able to get through all 20 levels using your binary and everything worked perfectly. Thanks again for all your work on this.

game_end.thumb.png.84181fbdd113572863118f79dc12ea60.png

There are 20 levels in total?  Nice, will try to play to them, it is a nice game!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, globeron said:

There are 20 levels in total?  Nice, will try to play to them, it is a nice game!

Yes, 20 levels, 10 mazes, 10 intermissions including the final credits. I've only been able to complete all 20 levels twice, starting off with 5 lives.

Edited by Cheung

18 hours ago, Cheung said:

Yes, 20 levels, 10 mazes, 10 intermissions including the final credits. I've only been able to complete all 20 levels twice, starting off with 5 lives.

I will try with 5 lives once I have some time (I think it takes 1 hour+ to run through)  I came to level 7 with 3 lives and the speed increased as well later in the game.

I like the scenes in between.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, globeron said:

I will try with 5 lives once I have some time (I think it takes 1 hour+ to run through)  I came to level 7 with 3 lives and the speed increased as well later in the game.

I like the scenes in between.

Yes, it speeds up starting on level 9 for some reason on both Classic99, JS99er and now Mame. It's not programmed to do that, it just happens for unknown reasons. We're still waiting to see if it happens on real hardware, so anybody running real hardware, let us know if there is a performance boost at level 9 and above.

Also, one strange thing is that once you get to level 9, the boost remains even on the lower levels when you start a new game.

Edited by Cheung
  • Like 1

Did not make it past level 5 sadly. Joysticks definitely are a plus in this type of game (I use a Prostick with an Atari adapter). Also one of the downsides of the cart only version is that the high scores are not saved. No bragging rights :lol:

• Like 2