IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

11 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Its my understanding that several retailers other then Amazon will stock the 7800+ in the UK. Clearly HMV are listing it online, but I dont know whether its in-store also. I think Argos are taking it also. 

What about in the States? Target and/or walmart seem about the only places left willing to carry this kind of stuff. Maybe Gamestop, but even that I wouldn't hold my breath. Best Buy maybe?

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

52 minutes ago, Microjak said:

The more the merrier,would be great if you could resurrect an old Atari advert for TV over Christmas but probably too expensive.

I would probably be in complete awe if I would see a new Atari commercial and think I was having a wild flashback.  Lol!

(Atari jingle) Have you played Atari today...  again?!?

Use old advert clips and add in some new.  MANY people would take note and investigate.  I'd bet on it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

What about in the States? Target and/or walmart seem about the only places left willing to carry this kind of stuff. Maybe Gamestop, but even that I wouldn't hold my breath. Best Buy maybe?

I couldn't see Best Buy selling it in the stores.  The last time I was in one (quite a few years ago), the music, gaming, movies were nothing like it used to be.

Target and Walmart, I could see, though, but only as a test at first.

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Ha we talked about this kind of thing so many times! But you know execution has to be impeccable otherwise it just turns out terribad.

It's not easy to pull it off well.

There you go,sorted 👍😀

• Haha 3

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

What about in the States? Target and/or walmart seem about the only palces left willing to carry this stuff. Maybe Gamestop, but even that I wouldn't hold my breath.

No current change to the US distribution for the time being. In my opinion the atari.com and Amazon strategy has served us very well thus far and if it's not broke do not fix it.

You're going into a sensitive and very complex area, the short form nature of posting on AA just would be a mistake for me to talk further on this. Catch up with me off the record over a couple of beers and I can explain.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes exactly this!!!!! Sorry to be a party pooper but this would be real tricky to pull off in modern times.

Agreed.

The advert is hilarious and, well, suitable for today, but it seems to target just an "older" audience (which a lot of us seem to be).  For a younger audience, with more disposable income, it would fall flat.  As an "older" gamer, it seems that a lot of the younger audience wants greater graphics and not as profound gameplay.  Us "original gamers" grew up on bad graphica but better gameplay.

As an example, look at Adventure.  Graphics were more "eh," but the gameplay had longevity.  Like Haunted House.

Give me gameplay and replayabilty over graphics ANY day.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I’ll be honest with y’all… the 7800 was the first system I owned (the 2600 was the family system). I’m soooo tempted to buy this and a few games, unbox, have too many beers, and revel in nostalgia for a weekend. Please- either talk me into or out of this plan.

Feel again, those good time, back in the day memories of clunking in a cart and having a blast on the latest wonder Atari dreampt up. The machine looks, feels and plays exactly the same way as before and without spoiling your memories the new 7800+ is made for today with subtle improvements like HDMI display out and an wireless controller.

All for the price of a family meal at your local restaurant. Tis a bargain.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I’ll be honest with y’all… the 7800 was the first system I owned (the 2600 was the family system). I’m soooo tempted to buy this and a few games, unbox, have too many beers, and revel in nostalgia for a weekend. Please- either talk me into or out of this plan.

I got a 7800 and some games at a yard sale. Still one of my favorite purchases. It was taken from me before I turned 18. To be able to get a new one to take it's please is out of this world. The wireless controllers are a huge bonus. I ordered the 7800+, an extra wireless cx78+, 2 wireless cx40+, all 10 games, and the other three rereleases that were available. For the 2nd Christmas in a row my house will ring with the sounds of Atari. Come on and join us, brother.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bent_pin said:

I got a 7800 and some games at a yard sale. Still one of my favorite purchases. It was taken from me before I turned 18. To be able to get a new one to take it's please is out of this world. The wireless controllers are a huge bonus. I ordered the 7800+, an extra wireless cx78+, 2 wireless cx40+, all 10 games, and the other three rereleases that were available. For the 2nd Christmas in a row my house will ring with the sounds of Atari. Come on and join us, brother.

Oh come all ye faithful,joyful and triumphant…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I hope you follow through on that,it's a great plan!👍😄

14 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

IMG_1954.gif
JUST DOOOO IT! Buy them all! Buy them all! Buy them all!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2024 at 8:39 AM, bent_pin said:

I wish I had your kind of money. Or maybe I just wish I had a wife that would let me spend that kind of money.

7 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I wish I had your kind of money. Or maybe I just wish I had a wife that would let me spend that kind of money.

Have you tried just not telling her? Actually had to do an 8 week payment plan for these to avoid interest from credit cards. Just finished paying it off a touch early.

1 minute ago, bent_pin said:

Have you tried just not telling her? Actually had to do an 8 week payment plan for these to avoid interest from credit cards. Just finished paying it off a touch early.

Let us just say the only reason she let me pre-order the 7800+ Mega Controller bundle is because she just bought a new car. And when I told her what I was going to buy, she got mad, and then I threw the "you just bought a brand new car" line at her, and she relented.

• Haha 1

Just now, jeremiahjt said:

Let us just say the only reason she let me pre-order the 7800+ Mega Controller bundle is because she just bought a new car. And when I told her what I was going to buy, she got mad, and then I threw the "you just bought a brand new car" line at her, and she relented.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Is it easier if I buy it and sneak it to you by PayPal? Because I'll totally be your dealer.

• Haha 3